Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Career tests

I have been today, for the nth time, to the local job center and I started to chat with one of the employees about how to find the job to suit your needs. She was astounded by my lack of faith in all the different career aptitude tests and personality decoder gimmicks and insisted that I should take one the soonest possible, then proceeded to tell me how those government tests worked. Honestly, the only thing that struck me was the length: two sessions of about two hours of question answering!

I took a similar lengthy test when I was ending high school - an hour an a half filling questionnaires to learn that I should become (with a 85% match)... a religious leader! That either makes you believe or sends you in the world of personality tests atheists! To be fair, other options (all less then a 75% match) included librarian, teacher and photograph, and they were nice to ponder upon.

So, I'm waiting for a call from the center to schedule an appointment for their test, but I wanted to know what y'all think about those things, and those free tests available on the net too.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I once did an online "What LotR character are you?" test and it told me I was Saruman, which was kind of depressing.

Other than that, neither school nor post-school have I ever been subjected to such a test, and I'm not aware of them being a regular thing down this way (they might be...I don't know). It would be interesting to do one though, I reckon (though I'd be pretty pissed off if it came back "evil wizard").
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

I was part of one of the eleventytwo education reforms in Québec, and our "wave" of about 4 or 5 years all were carreer tested. They then cut the funding for it and it stopped.

Now I want to know which LotR character I am...I want to be Fangorn! Beats being a religious leader! (Seriously!)
Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here is one version of the test:
http://www.geocities.com/mydigitalview/lotr_person.html

Apparently I am Aragorn.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Verencat
Wizard

That is nice, who would not want to be Aragorn?
I'm Elrond! Am I paranoid or it fits with the religious leader theory? Nahhh....

Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm Frodo. (Is that good?)

Quote:
You are most like Frodo. You're very friendly, and you have a great personality. Although you like to have fun, you can also be pretty serious at times. It's pretty hard to get you mad, but once you're mad...everybody better look out! Keep that temper under control and realize that you're better off than you may think.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Cool

Quote:
You are most like Aragorn. You have strong convictions and you stick to them. Although you are more of a recluse, you are extremely loyal to the few friends that you have. You are very serious about things, but you like having fun. Fame and fortune mean little to you, and you aren't concerned with being popular. Good for you!
It's actually scarily accurate from so few questions...
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Elrond here!

Quote:
You are most like Elrond. Although you are very serious, you're not above having a good time. It's just that your definition of a good time is pretty different from other people's. You're very smart, so use your knowledge to help others! At least your not so pessimistic. People may think you're hard nosed, but all your friends know better.
People can do those career tests if they have absolutely no clue what they'll be doing next after high school...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I remember the careers lecture at school - It was really this short.

Teacher : Which food would you like for breakfast, toast, juice or cereal?
Us : Uh?
Teacher : Pick?
Us : Ok {insert choosen breakfast food from list}
Teacher : How did you know what you wanted?
Us : Uh?
Teacher : Well you knew because you had tried them all and picked the one you like. Now thats like picking your career. Dismissed.

Is it any wonder I have little faith in the school system lol
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
My career advice at school:
Career adviser: You want to be an engineer
Us: ummmm?
Career adviser: Have some leaflets!

As for LoTR, I'm Galadriel apparently:
Quote:
You are most like Galadriel. There's just something about you that people like. A sort of aura. You're very kind to people, and you like to help others succeed. You're not as candid as most people would like. You don't have to share your deepest darkest secrets, but be more honest about things! You're more mature than most people your age, so don't worry!
I'm not sure I want to be more mature than other people my age! (Most people at work consistently guess my age at about 10 years younger than I am... not sure if that's good or not!)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
I'm a Galadriel too!

My whole class sent off the career test thing back in high school. Mine never came back...
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I love your new avatar, Mindy!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Here is one version of the test:
http://www.geocities.com/mydigitalview/lotr_person.html

Apparently I am Aragorn.
Me too. (That's just disturbing on so many levels...)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
My career advice at school:
Career adviser: You want to be an engineer
Us: ummmm?
Career adviser: Have some leaflets!

As for LoTR, I'm Galadriel apparently:

I'm not sure I want to be more mature than other people my age! (Most people at work consistently guess my age at about 10 years younger than I am... not sure if that's good or not!)
Wait a minnit! Galadriel was like, 5000 years old! How could she be more mature than most people her age? They were either a) dead, b) turned into oaks, or c) cranky and irritable. How's that more mature? I'd ask for my money back if I were you!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I once did an online "What LotR character are you?" test and it told me I was Saruman, which was kind of depressing.
Out of curiousity, and if you are willing to disclose, who would you wanted to have been?

<voice of Adrian echos out "Sauron. But much less wimpy.">
career (vb): rush in an uncontrolled way.
Strange thing, the English language.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote