Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
npavkovic
npavkovic began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Razr
Advanced options for PDF files

Greetings,

I've been happily reformatting a lot of my content as small PDF files for the Reader. My page layout program, InDesign, does a great job of creating "clickable" indices and tables of contents. But...

1) The TOCs/indices are, of course, slow to navigate. Is there some way to add a LRF-style table of contents that uses the Sony buttons? (I know this is a long shot.)

2) Is there some way to use hyperlinks to navigate between files on the Reader? (One can of course embed URLs in the PDF, but I don't know what format they would take in order to refer to another file -- or a bookmark within another file -- using the local filesystem.)

3) What about hyperlinks in LRF files? Can one create an index document that references other docs and bookmarks?

Thanks!

- Nick
npavkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
I believe the answer to all your questions is no.

Is your Reader the 500 or the 505? I have a number of PDF files that I made with TOCs that include page numbers in addition to clickable links. With the 500 the page numbers in the TOC were pretty much for show, but with the 505, which allows the use of the buttons to enter the exact number of a page to jump to, doing that, just entering the page number from the TOC, turns out to work a lot faster than navigating through the links.
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
npavkovic

Thanks... I've got a 505. Navigating by page number is indeed quicker.

You're probably right -- the answer to all my questions is probably no. Right now, with the limited documentation, though, it's hard to know anything for sure...

N

Last edited by npavkovic; 02-15-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by npavkovic View Post
1) The TOCs/indices are, of course, slow to navigate. Is there some way to add a LRF-style table of contents that uses the Sony buttons? (I know this is a long shot.)
PDF renderer does expose machine-readable table of contents if PDF contains one. In PDF format this feature is called "bookmarks", you can check in Adobe Reader if you PDF has it (and you can add it with Acrobat, maybe even directly in InDesign)
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
PDF renderer does expose machine-readable table of contents if PDF contains one. In PDF format this feature is called "bookmarks", you can check in Adobe Reader if you PDF has it (and you can add it with Acrobat, maybe even directly in InDesign)
And this is a very nice feature on the PRS 500/505, I love the fact that it supports nested TOCs (wonderful when you're reading a newspaper).
The only real issues that I have with PDF on the 500/505, is that the background is slightly darker than with other files and the fonts are not rendered as smoothly compared to the other e-ink devices.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
npavkovic

Table of Contents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
Oh, I've got great, beautiful tables of contents and indices. InDesign does a great job of building these. But it takes far too long to navigate through a page of bookmarks. The built-in support for LRF TOCs is much quicker.

N