Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
TAC
TAC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Need some answers (KF8 and EPUBs)

Hey guys, I have a few questions and I think you're all the right people to ask.

So to get straight to the point, I have to convert a lot of EPUB textbooks into the KF8 format, just because that is what I've been asked to do.

So, what exactly is KF8? I've tried my hardest searching around, and while there is some info it's not enough to stop me from being confused. Is it a MOBI file? Is there such thing as a .KF8?

I have some more questions, but I think that is good enough to start with.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it
TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
check out http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...reative=390957

It's the "new" MOBI format and can have any of several extensions including MOBI and AZW. It is not compatible with most existing Kindle devices currently (2012/06) in use. It is compatible with the current devices, provided they've been updated to the newest firmware, and with the current Kindle apps for Mac, Win, Android, and iOS. Whereas the classic MOBI format was based on HTML3.2, KF8 is based on HTML5/CSS3 so conversion from the current ePub format (HTML4.01/CSS2 based) results in few formatting issues.

Amazon's tool for creation is KindleGen, either standalone or as part of Kindle Previewer. These files are hybrid files containing both a KF8 segment and a classic MOBI segment. The newest releases of calibre can also create KF8 files.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
TAC
TAC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks so much for the response!

I was told, however, to not use Calibre.

And also, how can one tell if a MOBI is using KF8 or not? I want to convert these EPUBS to look great on the kindle, but there are some formatting errors. How can I fix these manually?

Again, thanks for the help. It's tough knowing nothing about this stuff, haha.
TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Read about KF8 in our wiki. Generally it is easy to use the latest KindleGen to convert an ePub to KF8. KindleGen will create both a mobi and a KF8 in the same file and the kindle reader will pick the one it wants.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
If you need to fix some formatting in the EPUBs install Sigil and cleanup the ebooks there, then convert to Kindle with Kindle Previewer.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
KindleGen will create both a mobi and a KF8 in the same file and the kindle reader will pick the one it wants. Dale
This is key. One doesn't have to tailor a file for the older Kindles and for the newer ones. (Nor does one have to use Kindlegen/Previewer. I upload html to the KDP platform, and the two files are created in the conversion process.)

Come to think of it, this is an odd duplication if the book contains nothing that is unique to the Fire etc. I use drop-caps because I like the way they look on the newer devices, but nothing else that requires KF8. Would a plain KF7 book also be duplicated in KF8 format within the mobi file?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Come to think of it, this is an odd duplication if the book contains nothing that is unique to the Fire etc. I use drop-caps because I like the way they look on the newer devices, but nothing else that requires KF8. Would a plain KF7 book also be duplicated in KF8 format within the mobi file?
Nothing is being duplicated in the files that ultimately reach the end-user. When a user purchases the book, they download either the stand-alone KF8 version of the book (if available) or the stand-alone MOBI version of the book—depending on the capabilities of their device or app. No one is downloading a file from Amazon that contains both versions. Publishers/Authors are only uploading the combined MOBI/KF8 file (and even then... only if they built the ebook themselves with Kindlegen) to Amazon.

Again: the combo file that contains both versions of the ebook is only being used to get both versions of the ebook to Amazon in a convenient package. The customer never gets that combo file (from Amazon anyway).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-01-2012 at 09:30 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Thanks--good to know.

(What a clever store! I expect that in another five years the same will apply when I buy a tee-shirt from Amazon. It will come in Large with my specifying it!)
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote