Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I agree with you John.

The admins vote (WT Sharpe is male, BTW), has always been reserved as the tie breaking vote, in the past. I do not think that has changed. Tom will comment if it has, however.
What I think is that we should not have any run-off vote if the winning vote gets an overwhelming majority vs the 2nd place book. There's no need.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is it we are making things more complicated and causing it to take longer? We now have added a second vote that we don't actually need.
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #78
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I think is that we should not have any run-off vote if the winning vote gets an overwhelming majority vs the 2nd place book. There's no need.
I asked Tom about that when the two-tiered voting was first suggested. His decision was to keep the 2nd vote, regardless of the separation, so that there would be no arguments as to how big or small of a separation there has to be (3 votes, 5 votes, etc.) before a run-off is held.

I agree with his decision.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I asked Tom about that when the two-tiered voting was first suggested. His decision was to keep the 2nd vote, regardless of the separation, so that there would be no arguments as to how big or small of a separation there has to be (3 votes, 5 votes, etc.) before a run-off is held.

I agree with his decision.
I think that's just invalidating the initial vote if the margin is large enough. I would go for 5 or more.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #80
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Quote:
I think that's just invalidating the initial vote if the margin is large enough. I would go for 5 or more.
I would see no need for a second tier vote if one of the books in the original poll receives a majority of the votes cast. Note that is a majority, not a plurality no matter how many votes separate the first and second books when the first only receives a plurality.
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #81
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think a 6-month hiatus between nominations is eminently reasonable....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...if there are no strong objections, here is the rule:
Quote:
Any book that has received three nominations during a nomination period is automatically disqualified from being re-nominated for a period of six months.
Quote:
I object if this 6-month rule includes books nominated that did not make it to the vote. I'm OK with it if it's only for books that make it to the vote but do not win.
And a good objection it is; which is why I stated, "Any book that has received three nominations during a nomination period..."

Quote:
With the size of some of the tombs being nominated, I'd like more time then less time.
I agree, but was outvoted. The issue is now dead until near the end of 2012.

Quote:
I've already stated my reasons for having the 2nd poll no matter what. That way no one will be able to complain that if the second poll had taken place, the result might have been different. On the bright side, if one book is certain to win, why not buy it before the second vote even starts and get a head start reading it? —Unless, perhaps, you fear that the run-off vote might change the outcome, in which case it was necessary after all.

Quote:
Why is it we are making things more complicated and causing it to take longer? We now have added a second vote that we don't actually need.
I agree, but was outvoted. The issue is now dead until near the end of 2012. ( Didn't I just say that? Why am I repeating myself? )
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree, but was outvoted. The issue is now dead until near the end of 2012. ( Didn't I just say that? Why am I repeating myself? )
Actually, you had the ability to just say no and that would have been it. You still can you know citing that it doesn't actually work.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #83
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question Question: ebook availability?

Is there a rule in place about nominations being available in ebook format?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #84
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's always been understood, I believe.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Books have been disqualified for not being available as an eBook in at least one country.

But I do think it would be good to list the countries a nomination is available in so we won't be having the Black Rain dilemma. People then won't have to go scrambling to try to find a copy as they can vote based on interest and availability.

I'm of the mind that if an eBook is not available in at least Canada, UK & USA that it not be allowed.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #86
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Well it makes sense that all nominations should be ebooks!

Its too late to change things now, but how do we prevent a situation like Orloks going forward? Black Rain is not available as an ebook in his location.

Quote:
Books have been disqualified for not being available as an eBook in at least one country.

But I do think it would be good to list the countries a nomination is available in so we won't be having the Black Rain dilemma. People then won't have to go scrambling to try to find a copy as they can vote based on interest and availability.

I'm of the mind that if an eBook is not available in at least Canada, UK & USA that it not be allowed.
I tend to agree.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-27-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #87
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The mods don't have the time to do that kind of search on every book nominated, but if other members bring up that an ebook is unavailable in a particular geographic location, I'll be glad to note it in the second post where the nominations are listed, right beside the Inkmesh search.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #88
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
The mods don't have the time to do that kind of search on every book nominated, but if other members bring up that an ebook is unavailable in a particular geographic location, I'll be glad to note it in the second post where the nominations are listed, right beside the Inkmesh search.
That works.

Maybe add a note to the nomination thread post "Please comment if not available as an ebook in your area".
Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The mods don't do the work, the person nominating the eBook does the work to check if it is available in Canada, UK & USA.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
That works.

Maybe add a note to the nomination thread post "Please comment if not available as an ebook in your area".
That works! Will do.

Now added to the template.