Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
CptKirk
CptKirk began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone4
Thumbs up Can't get MegaReader to connect to Calibre server

I've got the Calibre server setup on 8787.

http://192.168.1.109:8787/stanza

I can get to it (open it) from any computer on my home network (wired or wireless).

I've got my iPhone4 setup on my wireless network.

When I open MegaReader and go to Download books MegaReader finds the WiFi Book Calibre library. It is using the computer name rather than the IP address.

If I click on that it never connects. If I add it manually using the IP address above it never connects.

So MegaReader can find it. Other computers can open it. It is just that MegaReader cannot open it.

Last edited by CptKirk; 11-26-2011 at 05:59 PM.
CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Try using the following link for MegaReader:

http://192.168.1.109:8787/opds
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
I've got the Calibre server setup on 8787.

I can get to it (open it) from any computer on my home network (wired or wireless).

I've got my iPhone4 setup on my wireless network.

When I open MegaReader and go to Download books MegaReader finds the WiFi Book Calibre library. It is using the computer name rather than the IP address.

If I click on that it never connects. If I add it manually using the IP address above it never connects.

So MegaReader can find it. Other computers can open it. It is just that MegaReader cannot open it.
Explain more please....
So when you tap "Import" -> "Download Books" you do see the "WiFi Book Catalogs" with your calibre library listed? (and your local machine address showing as you say). If that is so then I would think it is connecting.

What happens when you tap on the calibre catalog?

(as info.. mine also automatically connects using the computer local name and not the ip address. That's ok. Mine connects every time. (assuming calibre server is running)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Explain more please....
So when you tap "Import" -> "Download Books" you do see the "WiFi Book Catalogs" with your calibre library listed? (and your local machine address showing as you say). If that is so then I would think it is connecting.

What happens when you tap on the calibre catalog?

(as info.. mine also automatically connects using the computer local name and not the ip address. That's ok. Mine connects every time. (assuming calibre server is running)
From what I've noticed, MegaReader appends .local to the computer name (e.g. MyMac.local). Works with Macs by default (perhaps Linux, too?), doesn't usually work with Windows (unless the .local is explicitly added to the computer name in network settings or via local DNS).
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes.. Ubooks on my iPad auto connects with
Quote:
http://mycomputerlocalname.local.:8080/stanza
strange... note the dot before the semicolon - this is a working connection for me..
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yes.. Ubooks on my iPad auto connects with
Quote:
http://mycomputerlocalname.local.:8080/stanza
strange... note the dot before the semicolon - this is a working connection for me..
http://mycomputername.local:8080/opds will work for Macs (and perhaps other *nix-based installs). However, if the server is on Windows, it's usually http://mycomputername:8080/opds by default (or in the OP's case, http://mycomputername:8787/opds). If you append .local, the Windows computer with name mycomputername will usually just ignore it.

I don't recommend using the Stanza link. It likely won't be well supported by other readers.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
.local indicates the usage of a pseudo-domain. In short: Don't use it with *any* operating system. It's just plain wrong.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't recommend using the Stanza link. It likely won't be well supported by other readers.
I was just passing on to this iPhone user what is currently working for me on iPad. The address shown is what came up by default and it works for me first time every time. It was provided just as one more thing the OP (who didn't mention if they were running calibre server on Mac or Windows or ????) could try... It wasn't presented as the best solution..... (at least, that was not the intent.) (My actual ip address also works.)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
.local indicates the usage of a pseudo-domain. In short: Don't use it with *any* operating system. It's just plain wrong.
I think that might be the default behavior with Macs - at least it was with my limited experience tinkering with a Hackint0sh.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I was just passing on to this iPhone user what is currently working for me on iPad. The address shown is what came up by default and it works for me first time every time. It was provided just as one more thing the OP (who didn't mention if they were running calibre server on Mac or Windows or ????) could try... It wasn't presented as the best solution..... (at least, that was not the intent.) (My actual ip address also works.)
Actually, the comment about not using the Stanza link was a general recommendation.

Calibre server can output two slightly different catalog feeds via the following links:
http://ipaddress:8080/stanza
http://ipaddress:8080/opds

The Stanza catalog feed uses some relational links that are specific to Stanza that may not be supported by other readers, hence the recommendation to use the OPDS link which conforms to the OPDS specifications.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Actually, the comment about not using the Stanza link was a general recommendation.

Calibre server can output two slightly different catalog feeds via the following links:
http://ipaddress:8080/stanza
http://ipaddress:8080/opds

The Stanza catalog feed uses some relational links that are specific to Stanza that may not be supported by other readers, hence the recommendation to use the OPDS link which conforms to the OPDS specifications.
good info.. thanks... I wonder if the OP ever got things working??
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
CptKirk
CptKirk began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone4
Thanks for the comments, and nope, haven't gotten it to work. Pretty much given up and am using BlueFire as much as I don't like a number of things with that reader.

Tried all of these without any luck from MegaReader v2.4.1:

http://192.168.1.109:8787
http://192.168.1.109:8787/opds

I've tried all of them from both wired and wireless computers in the house and all of them connect with no problems. Computers are running W7 64 SP1. Tried both Firefox and IE.

Calibre 0.8.26 is running on a wired W7 64 SP1 machine.

If I just try to open the Safari browser on the iPhone4 and type the /opds address above like I did on the Windows Firefox or IE browsers and it comes back with a 'Cannot Open Page' error.

My iPhone is on my wireless network with a 192.168.1.100 address. (Edit: yes, it is 192. Fixed my typo)

So for some reason both MegaReader and Safari on my iPhone (iOS v5.0), while it is on my home wireless network, cannot see/connect to Calibre.

Last edited by CptKirk; 11-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
My iPhone is on my wireless network with a 182.168.1.100 address.

So for some reason both MegaReader and Safari on my iPhone (iOS v5.0), while it is on my home wireless network, cannot see/connect to Calibre.
Are you sure it's 182.168.1.100 or did you mean 192.168.1.100?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
andrea345
andrea345 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I've never been able to access my Calibre server - until this morning.

On Windows 7, home version - I went to System & Security. Windows Firewall - Allow a program through Windows Firewall. Click the "Change Settings" and scroll down through the Names. Calibre showed up under "The main calibre progragm".

So, I finally got Megareader to connect & yes, it has the "dot local" in it. I have no idea the right or the wrong, it's just what was in the Megareader setup & I left it & now it works b/c it was the Windows Firewall I couldn't find & fix.

Another thing you might need to remain sync'd with - the password setting under your Calibre setup.

Now, I'm just an IU, but this worked for me this morning. That said, I haven't been able to get it going on any other app, but this is working for the Megareader.

Good luck
andrea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Geoffhall
Geoffhall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi

Try http://yourcomputername.local:8080/stanza. Works for me on an iphone.

You probably need to add the port (8080) into windows firewall exceptions for it to work, as well as adding Calibre to the file names.

Keep trying

GH
Geoffhall is offline   Reply With Quote