Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Craig_P
Craig_P began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook unable to open certain files

My Nook is giving me an "unable to open" error when trying to open certain books.

The books in question are both conversions, one from lit format and the other from pdf, to epub. So I originally thought the problem might be with Calibre, but I can open the converted files in Calibre's viewer and they seem to be fine. Plus, since Nook supports pdf, I copied the original pdf over and it wouldn't work either.

Any ideas? Could the firmware update to version 1.5 be related to this?

edit:

I decided to try using Calibre to load the files onto my Nook instead of just dragging and dropping them manually, and now the files are working on the device. Problem solved!

Last edited by Craig_P; 01-05-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Craig_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
For some reason, NOOK 1.5 will no longer open files that have two dots in the filename. If you click the "Download" button on an e-book in your B&N account, B&N will name it something like xxxxx_epub.v2.epub and that dot ahead of the v2 gets 1.5 all annoyed (it worked fine on 1.4). Apparently some wireless downloads also got double-dot names earlier last year.

For sideloaded files, take the file off your NOOK, rename it, and put it back on, and it'll be fine (renaming it on your NOOK might not work. Or you could just use Calibre, which insists on renaming everything.

For wirelessly downloaded files, archive it, unarchive it, and redownload it.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert