Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Copyright violation?
Yes, it is a copyright violation even though the IP isn't protected in Canada and the source is Canadian. 15 24.59%
It is not a violation. 28 45.90%
Not sure 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Second, how many authors are self published, big name stuff?
They all sell those rights to publishers. So Publishers would be in the hot seat, deciding if they can make enough off the books to be worth paying the extension. Their choice, go or no go, will it pay or won't it?
No, authors do not "sell" their copyright rights to publishers. They sign publishing contracts with publishers; the copyright remains very firmly in the hands of the author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #47
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Harry, I've never read a publishing contract for a novel so I can't be certain but a quick google turned this up for scholarly journals. http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/copyright.asp it does ask that authors assign copyright to the publisher though it doesn't demand it. And outside the book world we know it has been standard in the past in music or it would be Paul McCartney getting royalties for Hey Jude not Michael Jackson's estate. This link http://www.copylaw.com/new_articles/copyterm.html seems to hint that assigning copyright was common in the past (I don't know about now.) I do wonder how those contracts handled derivative works, in comic books it seems the publishers kept rights to that given how old Superman is but in novels it'd be interesting to find out if an author could shop a sequel elsewhere or prevent one not written by him/her if the publisher wanted to produce one.

Edit. Link on reclaiming copyright after 56 years is in no way an endorsement by me of copyrights that last longer than 56 years.

Last edited by Iphinome; 03-21-2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: postscript
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Harry, I've never read a publishing contract for a novel so I can't be certain but a quick google turned this up for scholarly journals. http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/copyright.asp it does ask that authors assign copyright to the publisher though it doesn't demand it.
True, but it's absolutely not done for book publishing. I do speak from personal experience.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #49
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you tell us what rights are assigned then? And for how long? At what opint if any can the deal be backed out of by one party? I'm not being confrontational I'd just really like to know that information, I was reading Lynn Abby's blog and she seems limited in what she has the right to put on closed circle (and dammit I was really hoping to not have to scan rise and fall of a dragon king myself.)
Old 03-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A publishing contract is either "exclusive" - meaning that the publisher has the sole right to distribute the book in a particular country or part of the world - or "non-exclusive", meaning that the author is free to also sell to other publishers (eg Baen always have non-exclusive, world-wide rights on a book). A contract may or may not include eBook publishing rights. In addition, a contract (especially for a new author) may give the publisher "first refusal" on further books from that author for a specified period of time (or a specified number of future books). But in all this, the actual copyright is retained by the author.

Opt-out clauses are very much a matter of the individual contract, but the publisher, for example, may have the right to withdraw from the contract in the event of poor sales.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-21-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #51
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

But how long is the contract? Till the copyright expires? A number of years? Number of printings?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Depends entirely on the individual contract. 3 years or 5 years would be typical.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #53
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
My mistake sir.
I bow to your superior knowledge.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #54
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
So back to Canada, I think the deal is this. Make a list of the books that are public domain there. Next time you fly through, open up your netbook, download the lot of them and go on with life.

We're abiding by the law in both countries, in my estimation. It's not illegal to download there, and not illegal to own it here.

I'm flying through on Wednesday. Any recommendations?
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #55
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Again, the moment you make a copy, including incidental copies used in displaying the file, oops, offence.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #56
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I don't believe that. Because if that would be true, it would also be the case for ebooks that you have legally bought. What if you bought a copy of one of the out of copyright ebooks in Canada? That would be silly if you can download them for free, but it would be legal. I don't see any difference with legally buying an ebook in your own country that is still in copyright. You would have the right to read it, although reading includes making incidental copies. I don't know the details of the law in the USA (and that's what we're talking about), but in the Dutch law the making of incidental copies like copying from hard disk to memory, of from memory to your screen is explicitely not a copyright violation.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #57
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Nope, if it's an authorised copy then there are explicit clauses in the various laws for "transient copies" to be automatically authorised. These do not, however, apply to an unauthorised copy!

The EUCD is as clear as the DMCA on this.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote