Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Thank you!!

Hmm ill have to try searches that way. I was going to the book uploads and searching under authors.
You may have to scroll thru a few pages to find what you want.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I love my Kindle because backpacking with 10 books is so 20th Century!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMama View Post
...what do you like most about your Kindle?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
...I love a built in dictionary so I don't have to interrupt my reading if I encounter a word I'm not familiar with. And then also being able to search further on Wikipedia, without worrying about connectivity charges...
Adding to what nelamvr6 said--the ability to follow your curiosity from something in a book to and through Wikipedia was a totally unanticipated benefit and joy for me. I've given examples in other threads. The one I remember most recently was in Dumas when Cardinal Richelieu is introduced. I turned on the antenna, searched Wikipedia for "Richelieu" and soon was getting real historical context for the novel. I know this might not be for everyone, but for me it adds immensely to my enjoyment of some of the books I read. And Amazon pays for it
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
It'd be nice if you could search wiki the same way you search the dictionary.. just highlight and click
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do share eBooks with my wife and mother-in-law. I don't see a problem with that at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
DaisyMama
DaisyMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow, thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

And to those who scoffed, yes I AM a "book purist." I love books! I love flipping the pages, picking them off the shelves... (And I also love writing in longhand -- and in pencil, egad! -- what can I say?) But I made the transition from CD to iPod without any ill effects so I imagine I'll do the same here. (Just don't tell my books I said that!)

Desertgrandma, you mentioned a library and "lending period." I've been looking for an option like that for the Kindle, and I have seen nothing of the sort. Not even a mention of anything like it. Where did you find out about this and how can I learn more about it??

Thanks again, everyone!
DaisyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
you mentioned a library and "lending period." I've been looking for an option like that for the Kindle, and I have seen nothing of the sort.
See EBook Lending Libraries and Visual Kindle Guide. You are looking for MobiPocket ebooks from OverDrive, see its Library Search. Unfortunately, most libraries have more PDFs than MOBIs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And to those who scoffed, yes I AM a "book purist." I love books!
I wasn't scoffing... please don't take it that way. Just trying to point out that this is all there was. Sort of like before motor cars there were horses... you had no choice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #24
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
It'd be nice if you could search wiki the same way you search the dictionary.. just highlight and click
Agreed--that would be sweet.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
I agree. It seems more doable with the Kindle2 controller. You would often need to highlight multiple words.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For me, the very best part is the convenience. Last summer I flew to Chicago for a weekend. I finished my book in the airport on the way there due to delays. I bought two more books there, and nearly put one in my checked bag going home. Luckily, I decided to put the spare in my purse because I was delayed again and finished the first one. It's so much easier not to have to know where the nearest bookstore is when I travel.

I love books, too DaisyMama, but the switch hasn't really bothered me.

Also, I LOVE the box the kindle comes in, and my little silver selecter bar.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #27
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
The only thing I really don't like about my Kindle is that the right hand side button depresses below the body level of the Kindle. Makes some third party cases not work quite so well.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #28
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
What I like most: carrying hundreds of books in one little journal-sized reader. And the dictionary lookup. No, I like the way I can get free public domain books out of the ether with one click. No, I guess I like that I can search all my books for a particular term. Oh, and the ability to annotate; I like that. And that all my annotations and highlights appear in a separate file for that book. No, wait, I like the large selection of Kindle books at Amazon. Plus, on further reflection I like how easy it is to read even large books while lying in bed. Um, nope, I'm back to the hundreds of books thing. I guess I like that best.

But I recently had to move, and I don't even want to think about how many pounds of paper books had to be boxed and hauled to the new place.

What I like least? Um, that replacement batteries are out of stock right now. Not that I need a new battery or anything, but since the Kindle 2 came out I'd like to have one, just so I know that won't be a failure point.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #29
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I concur catsittingstill. That's my favorite part, too.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
mrzhutch
mrzhutch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

DaisyMama

Thanks for the question. I have so many electronic devices that do the same thing and I have to ask myself do I really need this Kindle 2? Seeing the responses, I think I will go ahead and get me one.
mrzhutch is offline   Reply With Quote