Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
scootersmurf
scootersmurf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Problem with Kindle Paperwhite 3 Jailbreak. Please help!!!!!

Hi everybody i jailbreaked my kindle yesterday, just because i wanted to install KOreader. But after trying it out i decided to reset the device because i liked it as it were before jailbreaking. Afterwords i read that a reset does not remove the jailbreak, and i realized that my device won't update to any firmware at all (i download the firmware from amazon.com and transfer it to the kindle as usual) but the update button on the device remains grayish, as there weren't any update file/firmware transferred to it :/. Im now stuck with firmware 5.7.2 which is the bin. file i installed from the 'how to jailbreak' guide. I also installed the Hot fix file after i jailbreaked it. And i have tried the whole day to find out how to remove the jailbreak or at least be able to update it to the latest firmware 5.8.2.
My kindle is a Paperwhite 3 wifi from europe.
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.

Last edited by scootersmurf; 09-12-2016 at 07:07 PM.
scootersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootersmurf View Post
Hi everybody i jailbreaked my kindle yesterday, just because i wanted to install KOreader. But after trying it out i decided to reset the device because i liked it as it were before jailbreaking. Afterwords i read that a reset does not remove the jailbreak, and i realized that my device won't update to any firmware at all (i download the firmware from amazon.com and transfer it to the kindle as usual) but the update button on the device remains grayish, as there weren't any update file/firmware transferred to it :/. Im now stuck with firmware 5.7.2 which is the bin. file i installed from the 'how to jailbreak' guide. I also installed the Hot fix file after i jailbreaked it. And i have tried the whole day to find out how to remove the jailbreak or at least be able to update it to the latest firmware 5.8.2.
My kindle is a Paperwhite 3 wifi from europe.
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.
The first six characters of your device's serial number please.
Also the link to your device's Amazon update page that you used.
If you don't like KOreader, then just remove KOreader.
The jail break file does not have any effect on your ability to update the device, you have something else wrong.

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2016 at 09:51 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
scootersmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The first six characters of your device's serial number please.
Also the link to your device's Amazon update page that you used.
If you don't like KOreader, then just remove KOreader.
The jail break file does not have any effect on your ability to update the device, you have something else wrong.
My serial number is: G090G1

amazon link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...b%7Clifehacker

I also tried this link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201756220
Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootersmurf View Post
My serial number is: G090G1
- - - - -
I also tried this link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201756220
The first link (which I deleted above) is for the source code.

The second link (which I quote above) is the correct one for your device.

The current firmware is at this link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...hite_5.8.2.bin
on that page.

Try it, following Amazon's directions.

Stay away from the "Reset (to factory defaults)" selection.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
How did you JB it? Current instructions of this forum? How did you install 5.7.2?
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
scootersmurf

Quote:
The first link (which I deleted above) is for the source code.

The second link (which I quote above) is the correct one for your device.

The current firmware is at this link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...hite_5.8.2.bin
on that page.

Try it, following Amazon's directions.

Stay away from the "Reset (to factory defaults)" selection.
Thank you very much for your link it works now, it is updated to 5.8.2.
Does this mean that i am unjailbreaked? If i am not, how can i unjailbreak it?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

There is no reason to un-jailbreak it.
It is only one file, which you just over-wrote.

You do not mention if you used the "Reset" menu entry nor in what order you used it along with updating to 5.8.2 - so I can't answer your question lacking the full context of the situation.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
scootersmurf

Quote:
There is no reason to un-jailbreak it.
It is only one file, which you just over-wrote.

You do not mention if you used the "Reset" menu entry nor in what order you used it along with updating to 5.8.2 - so I can't answer your question lacking the full context of the situation.
Before you linked me the right firmware link, i think i reset it about 10-15 times to try to make the Update file work. I Think it is still jailbreaked because i have all the dictionaries. And they was not available before i jailbreaked the device.
But is it not possible to unjailbreak it ?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

If you failed to re-boot it, between doing the most recent reset and installing the Amazon update - you are no longer jail broken.

Try installing one of our update_*.bin format packages -
If you are not jailbroken, they will fail to install.

You have never answered: Why do you think you need to un-jailbreak your device?

Tags
jailbreak 5.7.2, kindle paperwhite 3, unjailbreak, update issue