Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Whitefiver
Whitefiver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Newbie Alert

Hi from Staffordshire - UK.

My wife (without any prompting!) bought me a Sony 505 for Christmas. I have been reading e-books on a PDA for years, and find the 505 so much better.

However, I was unable to get it to charge through USB until I read here that you needed to use a USB port on a PC with the Sony software installed on it. Sure enough, that worked, but I have a PSP charger on order.

I have learnt so much from you all already. many thanks,

Regards,

White.
Whitefiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MR, Whitefiver! I'm glad to hear that you've already found the site useful.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello White, and welcome to MobileRead. Now that you've found help with your charging issues, take a look at the magnificent books lovingly formatted for your Sony and available for free right here in the MobileRead forums.

I own both a Sony 505 and a Kindle and like them very much. I've heard other people talk about reading books on PDAs and cell phones and couldn't imagine that it would be a satisfactory experience. Then my hubby bought me a Blackberry in October and I had the chance to find out for myself. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't too bad. I keep one book on the Blackberry and get in some "stealth reading" when I'm in situations where pulling out a book or one of the full-sized readers might be frowned upon.

Last edited by Elsi; 12-30-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to the forums
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Kindle author who doesn't own a Kindle.

Hi!
I have written a book that is available on the Kindle; I haven't sprung for one for myself yet. There is a coterie of us, often schmoozing on the Amazon Kindle customer discussion groups. The Kindle is a boon for indie authors; we can see how our books stand up to those written by the big girls and boys.
My book, War on the Margins: A Novel, started life as my MA thesis (in novel form at that time, but MUCH longer and more boring). It is about the German occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII. I have realized that I have unwittingly written a "prequel,"if that's the right word, to "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (a great book, by the way).
My avatar is a photo of Claude Cahun, a French Surrealist artist. She and her lifelong lover and artistic partner, Marcel Moore, retired to the Island of Jersey in the late 1930's, only to find their quiet life destroyed by the occupation of the Island by Germans for the duration of WWII. They joined the Resistance as propagandists. They were arrested shortly after D-Day; I have had their prison notes and diaries translated from the French. They were fascinating and very brave women; their story should be more widely known.
I am also a knitter. The Kindle and other e-reading devices offer great opportunities for exploration and self-expression; owners can tap into the large pool of indie books, plus they can individualize their devices by knitting totes for them. I have made one from the pattern I list below; it's very easy and the felting makes up for any miscounted decreases!
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi White and welcome to the Forum. I've had a 505 now for about a year and am absolutely addicted.

And Elsi's right about reading on a cell phone/PDA. I like to get teh same book on both my 505 and my iPhone. That way, I've always got it with me.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote