Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
chobile
chobile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite v5
Exclamation Kindle PaperWhite 1 stuck in Celeste System Diags boot mode

Hi, my kindle is stuck on the "CELESTE.WFO - System Diags" mode. No matter how many times I reboot or attempt a hard reset, it comes back to this. I've read stuff on the site for a few hours (and yes, I checked out geekmaster's debricking thread). I'm not sure they apply to me specifically though.

I have a Kindle PaperWhite v1 (no-ads). Likely on firmware 5.4.4 or higher. I jailbroke it and added KUAL, etc. When I plug it into the computer, my computer can see it just fine (I can even get a drive letter if I select "U) USB device mode" in system diags.

I've charged it for over a day now (on mains). I've also tried charging it for several hours over a desktop USB.

What happened was,
I was trying to drain the battery (so that I could do a full charge - it's suggested that you do this every so often with lithium-ion batteries). Anyway, I ignored the low battery warning and kept reading, when it suddenly just went blank and booted in the Celeste System Diagnostics mode.

It seems my problem isn't as severe as indicated by the other posts in geekmaster's thread, and using MFGTool to change the boot mode would do it??? What should I do? I'm also unclear which profile to get for the MFGTool. Help. Thanks very much.
chobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Call Amazon Customer Service and tell them they just broke your PW-1 with a forced, OTA update attempt to 5.6.1.1 while the battery charge level was too low.

See also:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3

The usual operation is for the Kindle to try doing its OTA upgrade at shut-down (or at re-start), but in this case, it probably fell into a low-battery re-start and tried to do the upgrade (with a dead battery).

It is toast, it is out of warranty, but it was their forced update that killed it, they are liable.

Last edited by knc1; 06-29-2015 at 10:30 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
chobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Call Amazon Customer Service and tell them they just broke your PW-1 with a forced, OTA update attempt to 5.6.1.1 while the battery charge level was too low.

See also:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3
does it matter if the warranty is gone or that I did jailbreak it?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobile View Post
does it matter if the warranty is gone or that I did jailbreak it?
No more than if they showed up at your house and hit it with a hammer.
They destroyed it, let them replace it.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
chobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No more than if they showed up at your house and hit it with a hammer.
They destroyed it, let them replace it.
called in and they only offered me $30 off a new replacement. did u manage to get it exchanged for free?

Can someone provide help with my question then?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you make sure to point out that Amazon themselves broke it?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
called in and they only offered me $30 off a new replacement. did u manage to get it exchanged for free?

Can someone provide help with my question then?
Write them a letter (snail-mail type).
Be sure to tell them that they broke it.
Send letter certified, RRR.

Wait (with Kindle on charger) - It will be awhile before the "you killed my Kindle" complaints amount to a large enough number for them to realize they have a product problem.

- - - -

In direct answer to your question: Its dead.

**DO NOT** try to change it in anyway from its present condition. You can only make things worse and at the same time, loose whatever advantage you now have over Amazon.
(I.E: Amazon is the only person (via forced OTA) that has done anything (that counts) to your Kindle.)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
chobile

Hi, I'm curious. Has any movement/update been made regarding this? Seems like nothing else is forthcoming from amazon? Even the thread I started a while back on amazon.com got no response.

In which case, is there a way to really fix this? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi, I'm curious. Has any movement/update been made regarding this? Seems like nothing else is forthcoming from amazon? Even the thread I started a while back on amazon.com got no response.

In which case, is there a way to really fix this? Thanks.
It is not a failure mode that anyone recognizes, so no canned answer.

The only thing I can think of is to connect to the serial port so we can see the messages about what the problem is.

= = = = =

My best guess, if you added the serial port, what we would find is:

Hardware failure, the eMMC flash has too many errors to allow the update process to complete.

The update process is a one-way process with no way to undo a failed update.
I.E: It can not revert to original anything that it has already changed.

It would probably be best just to take that $30 credit Amazon offered you.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
remember
remember began at the beginning.

Device: none
I found this on Google and had a similar problem. I plugged in my ~20% battery Kindle to my Win10 x64 PC with a 3rd-party Xbox 360 USB cable. I think i've used the same cable for this in the past. For some reason, it went haywire and kept refreshing the main menu and reconnecting to the PC every few seconds.

Eventually it ended up in the diags menu. I poked around for a bit, did some tests, wrote some XML files, etc., and went to Amazon support chat.

They told me to put an empty, no extension DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on the root of the kindle (after activating USB mode from the diags menu).

I did that, and disabled diags menu. Then I rebooted. I may have used the power button.

After several automatic reboots when I feared a brick, eventually I got the factory fresh normal unboxing menu and set up my kindle.

This was a special offers PW1 on (I believe) latest firmware. I bought it used and did a reset without connecting to wifi. Did the same just now.

Hope this helps someone.

Related: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...s_your_kindle/
remember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #11
remember
remember began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had a post here that seems to have been eaten. The TLDR is I fixed mine with an empty DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on the root of the kindle. Then I disabled diags and rebooted. Several auto reboots later, it was back to factory fresh.
remember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@remember: new accounts get automoderated (in your case, because the post had a link. links/quotes/images make the automod suspicious).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, kindle, paperwhite 1, system diags