Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
zigzagz
zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
New DRM method changes the author's words to make each copy unique and traceable

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...protecting-it/

"Some might say it was the best of times. On the other hand, some might say it was the worst of times."

We're gonna love this.
zigzagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
I don't think this method is rugged enough, given that it sacrifices the originality of the content, I can see it to be broken systematically in a following process:

1. purchase 2 copies of a book, book A, book B, by 2 different usernames, so by the SiDiM standard, A, B should be slightly different.
2. Extract content from A, and B.
3. Perform a sequence alignment (or sth similar) on the contents of A and B, this should tell where in A and B, the contents differ.
4. Randomly select 50% of the positions where they are different, and swap the differences there, producing A', and B'.
5. Select either A', and B', and both copies should be no longer tracable.
And it is done.

Also there is a cheaper way of getting around this by approximation, it is to get 2 diff copies of a book, and select each page randomly from the 2 copies.

And if this is not cheap enough, just buy only one copy, and add noise into it. Like normalizing or randomly switching grammar, spacing styles. Even if it only reduces the tracing precision by a neigbourhood of 33%, I think this will result the tracing method to be untrusted in the legal court.

Maybe you may say, this might caught unsuspected illegal distributor, but many other (if not any other) DRM method do this just well...

In the end, I don't think the improvement worth the sacrifice of the orginal content. I just don't like a method that is doing this kind of damage.

Last edited by ghero; 06-16-2013 at 04:35 AM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
On another note:
I think the essence of DRM watermarking should not be coming out with some freaky method and challenge the world with it, but constantly adapt different simple, effective watermarking method secretly, without letting the public actually knowing such simple watermarking methods are being embeded. I think that is the correct, effective, and non-content damaging way of doing digital right protection.

Last edited by ghero; 06-16-2013 at 05:40 AM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Changing an author's work without permission would be a violation of copyright law. I can't imagine too many authors who would approve of this.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Makes perfect sense. I'm sure the proponents of DRM have long been looking for a way to piss off the authors AND the customers all at the same time. It ought to really show its usefullness in poetry collections.

There's no way this sees mainstream use in major ebook markets.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Stupid idea.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Oh dear, yet another thing to boycott!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Makes perfect sense. I'm sure the proponents of DRM have long been looking for a way to piss off the authors AND the customers all at the same time. It ought to really show its usefullness in poetry collections.

There's no way this sees mainstream use in major ebook markets.
I don't know, it might improve some of the poetry collection I have read...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Totally insane.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I don't know, it might improve some of the poetry collection I have read...
Well, sure. But it's all going to depend on the rhyming algorithm they go with in the "word negation" engine of the DRM AI.

EDIT: and how would they map these millions of variations (on something like a bestseller) back to an individual purchase? Correct me if I missed something, but wouldn't it almost have to be something similar to an MD5 Sum of an entire book. Even if they only store the differences from the original, all the variations sold on all available titles sounds like it could get a bit ... unwieldy (or did I mean not wieldable?).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2013 at 09:32 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, sure. But it's all going to depend on the rhyming algorithm they go with in the "word negation" engine of the DRM AI.

EDIT: and how would they map these millions of variations (on something like a bestseller) back to an individual purchase? Correct me if I missed something, but wouldn't it almost have to be something similar to an MD5 Sum of an entire book. Even if they only store the differences from the original, all the variations sold on all available titles sounds like it could get a bit ... unwieldy (or did I mean not wieldable?).
Maybe a "phone home with the difference"? The real reason it won't be effective for a serious pirate is that you still have the original DRM'ed text to compare to. Plus you'll be De-DRMing the randomizing algorithm. There are such things as hex editors...

But publishers were never known for their smarts...

(You don't want to do an A - B compare. you want at least three (and better 5 or 6) decrypts for the compare. You keep the text that shows up on the most of the version (at least 2). If there are words not common in all of them, flag it and tell the user to go look at the original DRM'ed version and correct the De-DRM'ed copy.)

Last edited by Greg Anos; 06-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Ehh, right now it's just an idea, it will most likely never come to pass.
cfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
book_goddess
Nameless Being

This is totally absurd. I would sincerely hope that if this ever comes to pass, all the authors I love strongly resist it.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

This would not require that many variables. Assuming they went for binary variables, they would only need to change 30 points in a book in order to identify a billion copies. That is more than enough for all sales, forever.

2^30 = 1,024^3 = 1,073,741,824

"not wieldable..." LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz View Post
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...protecting-it/

"Some might say it was the best of times. On the other hand, some might say it was the worst of times."
LOL
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

But Nate, you can't hide a watermark from a hex editor. It has to take space. You find it and cut it out. Or screen scrape the text, and drop it into an editor and reconvert. Text is just too compact to actually watermark. You can only watermark that actual e-book (by sticking it in as non-readable bits).