Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #121
BookKitteh
BookKitteh began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Hello! Just joined the community. I got my Nook Simple Touch over the weekend and I love it! I am now feeling a little color-envy and I'm eyeing the Nook Color as a future purchase, or maybe something to add to my Christmas wish list.

Anyway, glad to have found this forum!
BookKitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #122
goldenhawk
goldenhawk began at the beginning.

Device: nook
down loading from the computor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
judging by how huge the viewership has been on the nook subforum, I think it might have had over 600 viewers at one point today, it seems Santa was nice to a whole new genereation of nook readers.

this is a great place to share experiences, tips and tricks, books, deals, troubleshooting, questions if you are confused etc.

Don't be shy and jump in..... the water's warm
can purchase books from barnes and nobel and they down load but I don't know where they go. Help
goldenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #123
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenhawk View Post
can purchase books from barnes and nobel and they down load but I don't know where they go. Help
When you open your Nook (and it is connected to WiFi), the Nook will sync itself up to your library on B&N. You could speed this up by going to your Library on your Nook and click they Sync(update) button.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #124
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
When you open your Nook (and it is connected to WiFi), the Nook will sync itself up to your library on B&N. You could speed this up by going to your Library on your Nook and click they Sync(update) button.
I may be wrong, but I suspect s/he lacks WiFi access and so is trying to load books from the Nook-for-PC app, which I'm not sure is even possible. Still, you're correct that even jumping on the WiFi at McD's or the local library will allow your books to sync to your Nook.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #125
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
My color nook is 4 months old. I bought it because of the color display. The upgrades to the browser and the addition of apps allows me to leave my laptop behind much of the time. It is the perfect size for an entertainment and light web / e-mail. Iwill probably root it post warranty, although additional updates may make that less attractive.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #126
daewon
Enthusiast
daewon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Former unhappy Kobo Touch user here...Now a VERY happy Nook STR user...
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #127
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
While I love my nook STR which I bought when my Astak PPro died, and haven't found anything about it worth a negative comment, I do have to say that I find it very irritating to find new books automatically downloaded to my nook (and iPad nook app, for that matter). I'm talking about samples of books, which so far I have no interest whatsoever in reading, let alone paying any amount of money.

So far, the only way I have found to get rid of them is to go into "My Library" on the B&N site with my computer, mouse over the book and choose delete. It then syncs up with the nook and it is gone.

Am I missing something? I should be able to delete them from the nook. In reality, they shouldn't even be downloaded unless I say so to begin with (by buying them or at least choosing to sample). So far they seem to be romance novels.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #128
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've only had that happen to me once, I thought it was an error....so it's happening all the time to you? What did B&N Customer Service say?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #129
Verne Bunsen
Verne Bunsen began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
While I love my nook STR which I bought when my Astak PPro died, and haven't found anything about it worth a negative comment, I do have to say that I find it very irritating to find new books automatically downloaded to my nook (and iPad nook app, for that matter). I'm talking about samples of books, which so far I have no interest whatsoever in reading, let alone paying any amount of money.

So far, the only way I have found to get rid of them is to go into "My Library" on the B&N site with my computer, mouse over the book and choose delete. It then syncs up with the nook and it is gone.

Am I missing something? I should be able to delete them from the nook. In reality, they shouldn't even be downloaded unless I say so to begin with (by buying them or at least choosing to sample). So far they seem to be romance novels.
You nailed it, eGeezer! There is a thread running about this issue here. I'll save my real griping for that thread, but I will say that if it bugs you, write customer service about it. The more people they hear it from, the more likely they are to address it!

Anyhoo... I traded in my Sony eReader for a Nook about a week ago and really dig it. I love the wireless connectivity, which my Sony did not have. The screen is awesome, and I really like the stylus-free interface. I'm floored by the battery life; I think the "2-months on a charge" claim is a bit optimistic under real-world conditions, but at the rate it's going I can see it getting at least 5-6 weeks. And, although admittedly a bit gimmicky, I dig the screensaver function, especially that you can add your own pics! The only complaint I have about the unit is the one listed above. Overall, I'm a very happy Nook owner, and have already started recommending it to others.
Verne Bunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #130
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I've only had that happen to me once, I thought it was an error....so it's happening all the time to you? What did B&N Customer Service say?
I didn't bother with Customer Service. Just thot it was something I didn't understand -- which, of course, it turns out was a good guess.

Now that I know there is a thread, I'll take further comments there, as well as letting B&N know I find it annoying at best. But to be polite and answer your question, I've only noticed it twice, so far. But like others, I keep the wifi off unless I am reading a nook book (rather than sideloaded) in order to sync with my iPad, which I use for after dark reading.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #131
powree
powree began at the beginning.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and just had my Nook around 5 days ago. I live in Indonesia, and my Nook was brought by a friend's relative. So far I'm loving this gadget fiercely, lol.

For some time I've been reading ebooks on my wee little Nintendo DS screen, so reading on Nook feels like a bless. Just sad that all the warranty are gone when it reaches here.

I wonder if it's normal to have the battery drop to 50% after only 4 days? I read at least 2 hours a day, and maybe 3-4 hours during weekends. I was hoping for a 2 weeks reading at least
powree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #132
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by powree View Post
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and just had my Nook around 5 days ago. I live in Indonesia, and my Nook was brought by a friend's relative. So far I'm loving this gadget fiercely, lol.

For some time I've been reading ebooks on my wee little Nintendo DS screen, so reading on Nook feels like a bless. Just sad that all the warranty are gone when it reaches here.

I wonder if it's normal to have the battery drop to 50% after only 4 days? I read at least 2 hours a day, and maybe 3-4 hours during weekends. I was hoping for a 2 weeks reading at least
I read more than that and a full-charge lasts more than 2 weeks on mine. Have you charged it before? Maybe charge it all the way and try again?
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #133
powree
powree began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I read more than that and a full-charge lasts more than 2 weeks on mine. Have you charged it before? Maybe charge it all the way and try again?
Yes, I charged it right away for about... 2.5 hours I think. The manual says 3 hours, but the orange light had turned green earlier, so I unplugged it.

Hum, your Nook seems to live up to its specs. I'm very afraid of doing an overcharge. My NDS's battery had shortened due to overcharging. And without warranty nor spare part shops around, replacing Nook's battery is unlikely.

Should I wait until the battery is 10%? or just charge it at its current level?How do you prolong nook's battery? I've been looking for information around the threads, but haven't found a guide yet.

I have activated nook when I charge it the first time, bypassing the wifi registration procedure... Will it somehow affect the battery synchronization?
powree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #134
herozboy
Herozboy
herozboy began at the beginning.

Device: New Nook Touch
Parse Error on Rooted Nook Touch

I bought Nook Touch a couple months ago and I rooted it by using touchnooter. But after rooting completed, launcher appear. Then I sing in in youtube and then sync in Gmail according to their guideline. The problem is when i enter into Market, it show loading for few seconds and then auto goes back to luncher home screen. Then, I download astor file manager from online using nook touch. Downloading is complete. When i click on apk to install, it shows "Parse error, there's a problem parsing the package". So, I can't access to my SD card. Please answer me if you have any solution. i can't install any apps on my rooted nook touch.
herozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #135
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by powree View Post
I'm very afraid of doing an overcharge.
Personally, I don't believe in overcharging. Batteries are protected by some fancy-schmancy technical property that prevents it from going mad. Or so I believe. I also believe in aliens from outer space so who's to really know?

Quote:
I have activated nook when I charge it the first time, bypassing the wifi registration procedure... Will it somehow affect the battery synchronization?
I don't believe registration would affect battery life, but speaking of which, have you activated yours? Or updated the software on the Nook (if yours is the older ones); there was one that supposedly fixed a battery bug.

Let your battery drop to 10% or less and then start charging. No harm trying.

Hope this helps!
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote