Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

As DG says, I would order a properly sized cover asap. I didn't take my K3 out of the house until my cover arrived.
I had the cover before the k3! Kept trying to make the light work.....till I read the directions.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I had the cover before the k3! Kept trying to make the light work.....till I read the directions.....
I know that Amazon wants to ship everything as quickly as possible but sending out the covers several weeks before the actual Kindle was just being mean
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
What did the screen look like when it was broken? If it had diagonal lines and blobs of black/white which didn't change then it was because the screen glass has cracked due to an impact or too much pressure.
Here's what it looks like.

Do you think it would be safe in a neoprene sleeve I usually keep my notebook in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2010-09-27 at 16.43.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	58958  
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post

Do you think it would be safe in a neoprene sleeve I usually keep my notebook in?
Nope. With a notebook you close the lid essentially hiding the LCD screen from direct impact and risk of damage (the top cover/plastic of the lid would add additional protection). With the ereader the screen is still exposed essentially. I would consider either another cover or look at the option of sliding a hard piece of cardboard ontop of the screen when sliding into the sleeve to take some of the impact should a direct hit occur on the screen again.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Nope. With a notebook you close the lid essentially hiding the LCD screen from direct impact and risk of damage (the top cover/plastic of the lid would add additional protection). With the ereader the screen is still exposed essentially. I would consider either another cover or look at the option of sliding a hard piece of cardboard ontop of the screen when sliding into the sleeve to take some of the impact should a direct hit occur on the screen again.
Alright... it sounds like my only good options are to either use velcro or buy a K3 case.

I would go for one of the used Amazon cases, but both of them have "cosmetic blemishes on main unit", which could mean anything.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Alright... it sounds like my only good options are to either use velcro or buy a K3 case.

I would go for one of the used Amazon cases, but both of them have "cosmetic blemishes on main unit", which could mean anything.
Here's a video review of the lighted K3 cover....just for reference. Its not heavy, and taking the K3 out or inserting it is a snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sINv...ext=1&index=16
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here's a video review of the lighted K3 cover....just for reference. Its not heavy, and taking the K3 out or inserting it is a snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sINv...ext=1&index=16
Thanks for the video. I decided to go for the new one, even though I'm fond of many of the M-Edge covers. Weight isn't much of a concern; since I'm still a teenager, everything feels light to me.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #23
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Yup. Thats caused by pressure on the screen. There is a thin glass layer inside and if it gets cracked then it'll look like that. Good that Amazon are replacing it.

Until you get a case, don't throw it in with your books and even when you do get it, be careful!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Okay, the CS rep who I spoke to on the phone said that the replacement will be shipped out overnight. Am I supposed to receive an email confirmation immediately?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #25
lanfearl
lanfearl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3

This kind of CS abuse will eventually end Amazon CS from being so easy to deal with with real issues...

You put your kindle in a way too big case and it broke.

You should have to buy a new one.
lanfearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
ChaseKR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfearl View Post
This kind of CS abuse will eventually end Amazon CS from being so easy to deal with with real issues...

You put your kindle in a way too big case and it broke.

You should have to buy a new one.
This is not abuse. The Kindle is frequently advertised as being fairly rugged and suited for everyday use (just look at those commercials with them on the beach!). If I suspect that the device doesn't work as advertised or led to believe I may have received a defective unit, I most definitely report it to customer service--that's what they're there for.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #27
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
This is not abuse
Its not abuse in that you deliberately start smacking your Kindle but this is normally not covered under the warranty and people have had requests for a replacement refused. From what I've seen so far though, Amazon appear to be very lenient with Kindle 3 replacements so long as it doesn't show signs of obvious abuse e.g. big boot print. This may and probably will change in the future however.

Something hit or pressed on the screen. This isn't a manufacturing defect as those look completely different. The diagonal line you can see is a sign of the glass layer being cracked due to impact/pressure. I've never heard of an eInk screen cracking by itself without any external influence.

Quote:
If I suspect that the device doesn't work as advertised or led to believe I may have received a defective unit, I most definitely report it to customer service--that's what they're there for.
Meh. I don't see the problem here. If Amazon decide to be stricter on replacements or more lenient on replacements then thats their own business. Something hit your screen in your bag. You talked to Amazon CS and I'm sure they'd ask you what the symptoms were and what the screen looked like. Amazon are willing to replace it even though it does seem like it wouldn't be covered under the normal warranty.

You get a working Kindle and Amazon gets a happy customer. Everybody wins.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #28
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I put my kindle, and cover, in the box that the cover came in, then put that in my bag.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #29
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
crap, i just toss my kindle in my messenger bag. i thought it seemed tough.

i guess i should get a case.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
As much as I sympatise with the OP it just shows how fragile the K3's are, so anyone using one without a proper rigid case is just asking for trouble. TBH you can tell the K3 is fragile as soon as you pick it up.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote