Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Folding Back Leather Covers

Hi:

I have been reading the various threads on the various leather covers as I would like to replace my stock cover.

As I almost always read with the cover folded back, which cover would work better for this? One poster said that of the Sony leather covers, only the brown one, which is suede, will fold back and does so w/o sag (I am also slightly annoyed by the sag of the standard cover in this reading mode).

How about the M-Edge "executive cover" (sorry, the sleeve is WAY, ugly, IMHO)? Will it fold back and w/o sag? The pics make it look kinda thick to fold back well.

Also, how good is the retention of the Reader in the M-Edge "executive cover"? As it seems to slip into the top, what are the chances that it will just
slip out and smash on the floor?

Oh, and a second question about the M-Edge "executive cover" - I just ordered the flex neck light. Any reason to expect this would not work with the M-Edge? I would think it would not matter as I would guess you would just clip it onto the front cover once you have folded the cover back behind the reader. Of course, if you CAN'T fold the cover back easily, then I guess that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-22-2007 at 11:13 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I ... think you're going to have to wait 'till somebody actually gets one of the M-Edge covers, CCDMan.

There are several folks who do have them on order, though, so it may not be to long before they have some answers for us.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

I could have sworn that on one of the threads someone said that they had one......
Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think they've actually shipped any until the last couple of days, but anythings possible.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
I could have sworn that on one of the threads someone said that they had one......
I thought I remembered that also. Might have been the equivalent iLiad case?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Now that does ring a bell.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I ... think you're going to have to wait 'till somebody actually gets one of the M-Edge covers, CCDMan.

There are several folks who do have them on order, though, so it may not be to long before they have some answers for us.
In my emails with M-Edge about the Jackets, that cover should fold back just fine. This was a question I asked of them.

Here is what they told me.

Dear Karen,
Our leather jacket will fold back on itself very easily to allow for easier reading. We may have red and brown jackets in stock by the end of February. Standby, and monitor the website periodically.

Thanks,
Team M-edge
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
CCDMan

The M-Edge website now says "ships immediately" for the Executive (Black).
I just sent them the following email query, I will let you all know what they have to say.

I am trying to determine what keeps the reader in the Executive Sony Reader Case.

As it slides in from the top, what keeps it from sliding out (and breaking on the floor),if the case is inverted?

It looks like there is some kind of elastic connecting the part that goes behind the reader with the part that goes in front of it but it is hard to tell from the picture.

How firmly is the reader held in? For example, if you held it upside down (with the cover either open or closed) and shook it, would it fall out?

I am just trying to get an idea of how safe this case would be for the reader. I know the padding is great, but that would not help much if the reader slides out onto the floor leaving you holding just a nicely padded case.

Thanks!

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-22-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Good, now if they would just hustle up and get that RED color listed so I can order one
Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
CCDMan

Here is what M-Edge had to say:

"The Sony Reader is captured by a bezel that secures it on all sides except the top. The bezel fits snugly around the Reader and will hold it securely in place even if the jacket is inverted and shaken."

OK, I have ordered one. I will post some pictures and impressions once I get it.

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-22-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Okay thanks. You just answered a question that I myself and some others were wondering. How the heck that thing sat in the bezel........ so it goes in from the top. I was thinking perhaps it slid in from the center!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
a13sda
a13sda began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
For what it's worth, I bought my reader with the Sony leather case - in red as it happens. I also sometimes fold the cover back, and find that it works absolutely fine, with no creasing or damage to the spine.

Not only does it look very fetching, the leather is very thick and stiff, so I find that it provides considerable protection to my reader, and after 3 1/2 months, it is still essentially unmarked, so therefore stands up very well to wear & tear. It latches with magnets to the reader's frame, and again, I find this successful.

My only gripe with mine is that the attachement thingy (same as for the plastic cover that's in the original reader box) is not "square" - it's out by a degree or two, meaning that the reader doesn't sit quite symetrically in the cover; it's an aesthetic, rather than a practical matter, as it doesn't affect the functionality, and I'd imagine is not normal, being a minor individual manufacturing defect.

Hope this helps,
Steve Abbott
a13sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
CCDMan

OK here are some photos and a just out of box impression:

1) Looks nice - very soft leather
2) Holds device securely and it does not look like it will fall out, even with radical movement.
3) Cover very stiff internally and should give screen protection as good or better than the stock cover
4) Very light - not significant weight increase.
5) Cover does fold back but not totally flat (the spine does not fold into a single crease, rather folds on either side of the spine, meaning that at the spine edge, the back and front covers are maybe 3/4 - 1/2 inch apart when folded back. I guess this is to be expected with 2 layers of leather, but one may have to read with the cover open. I will have to use it a bit to tell if this is a problem.

6) Be careful inserting and removing the Reader - I knocked the joystick button off the first time - fortunately it snapped back on with no damage to the Reader.

7) The leather tab that holds it closed may tend to block the screen a bit on the right as it tends to bend over the screen. This may be just when it is new and not yet flexible - again, we shall see.

8) It looks like this might be a very nice way to hold it: Forefinger between covers and thumb in front of tab should work and be more secure one handed than the stock cover - again, this will require some actual reading to determine. See Picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	2883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closed.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	2884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Empty.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	2885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hold Fold.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	2886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spine Edge.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	2887  
Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Very nice, thank you for posting this. Blue?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #15
CCDMan

Quote:
Blue?
Just the lighting. It is quite a normal black leather.