Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Shaitan00
Shaitan00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Reading in the dark - Aluratek Libre?

So from my reading so far it looks like the eInk technology (while being great) doesn't work well in the dark (and I mean pitch-black) - are there alternative with backlights (at a resonable price)?

What about eBook readers that don't use eInk like Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro? Do they fair better?

Thanks,
Shaitan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaitan00 View Post
So from my reading so far it looks like the eInk technology (while being great) doesn't work well in the dark (and I mean pitch-black) - are there alternative with backlights (at a resonable price)?

What about eBook readers that don't use eInk like Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro? Do they fair better?

Thanks,
Some displays emit light, like your computer monitor and TV and other such devices.

Some displays reflect light, like most dedicated ebook readers and calculators.

If you want a reflective screen that also has a backlight, you need a transflective device. There are a few PDAs with transflective displays, and there's a fairytale company called Pixel Qi that many people are still hoping will have market presence soon. Other than those possibilities, you need to either choose a reflective screen like E-Ink or the Aluratek Libre's LCD and use a frontlight with it, or you need to get a transmissive screen like an iPad's LCD and keep it shaded when around bright light.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
The old ebookwise device (http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm) uses a very adjustable backlight/contrast setup. I usually keep mine set to the lowest brightness and low contrast, and get ~ 15-20 hours of reading on it. If I'm in the hot sun, I pump up the contrast and brightness to compensate for the temperature-caused shift in contrast on the lcd screen.

They're a bit heavier, and you'll have to convert all the books you want to read into their proprietary format (I give it about 2 minutes a book using calibre and their $20 ebookwise librarian software which I would call a must). DRM must, of course, be removed. I'd say they're a lot more techie oriented if you want to be happy with it - and no PDFs...

But it's truly backlit, easy on the eyes and readable in every situation I've tried, with or without light.

And consider how long the company might be around as well...but it is wonderfully backlit.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I use my IPhone for reading in the dark It's incredible. Stanza has all sorts of adjustable, fonts, backgrounds, and degrees of light, and turns the IPhone into a great little night reader.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Some displays emit light, like your computer monitor and TV and other such devices.

Some displays reflect light, like most dedicated ebook readers and calculators.

If you want a reflective screen that also has a backlight, you need a transflective device. There are a few PDAs with transflective displays, and there's a fairytale company called Pixel Qi that many people are still hoping will have market presence soon. Other than those possibilities, you need to either choose a reflective screen like E-Ink or the Aluratek Libre's LCD and use a frontlight with it, or you need to get a transmissive screen like an iPad's LCD and keep it shaded when around bright light.

why does the aluratek only have a quoted battery life of 24 hours.

my lcd watch's battray lasts a year...

so where is the power going?

i understand the display is larger but even taking that into account the battery life would be at least a couple of weeks not 24 hours.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert