Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
recommending Kobo eReader?

This morning my wife asked me if she should pick up a Kobo. I had to stop and think about the extra work that I would need to do to support my wife using a Kobo. Every eBook would need to be 'messed' with to correct the font problem.

I suddenly realized that I could not recommend a Kobo to a non-tech because they would go crazy with the font problem.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
This morning my wife asked me if she should pick up a Kobo. I had to stop and think about the extra work that I would need to do to support my wife using a Kobo. Every eBook would need to be 'messed' with to correct the font problem.

I suddenly realized that I could not recommend a Kobo to a non-tech because they would go crazy with the font problem.
To be fair they said they are going to fix the problem, but you're right, I wouldn't recommend the Kobo to anyone until I knew for sure they fixed the font problem.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Really? How many books do you think she'll read before the font problem is fixed? It takes about 30 seconds to fix an ebook...
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
To be fair they said they are going to fix the problem, but you're right, I wouldn't recommend the Kobo to anyone until I knew for sure they fixed the font problem.
I think that it is fair to say. I may also get another kobo for the family after I see how the firmware update goes.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
Really? How many books do you think she'll read before the font problem is fixed? It takes about 30 seconds to fix an ebook...
I can see it now. She would buy a book or two. Then she is very much into using the public libarary. I can foresee her borrowing and downloading 5-10 books on the first day. She will then skim through each one before settling down for a good read.

I hate to be put into a position of breaking the drm on 5-10 books to fix the fonts and meddle with the style sheets.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I've only read books on the Kobo through their software (not ADE) and I never had the font issue...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Books purchased from the KoboBookstore http://www.kobobooks.com do not have the font resize issue.

Epubs from other sources do have the resize issue. (At least until it's fixed in the Firmware)
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchen View Post
Books purchased from the KoboBookstore http://www.kobobooks.com do not have the font resize issue.

Epubs from other sources do have the resize issue. (At least until it's fixed in the Firmware)
I had problems with both "In Defense of Food" and "A funny thing happened on the way to the future". I bought both of these from the Kobo Bokstore.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My mom has had the issue where a book is loaded on but will not show up in the list. I will have to do the SQL database reset hack on it when she returns from vacation. My dad is getting a Kobo for father's day---I suggested the Aluratek Libre but stepmom had an Indigo coupon and did not listen to my advice
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Kobo advertised that you would be able to read books other than those purchased from them. It turns out that this is yet another lie told by Kobo.

I have never seen a more inept company.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Vidfreaky
Prog Rock Radio DJ
Vidfreaky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Kobo advertised that you would be able to read books other than those purchased from them. It turns out that this is yet another lie told by Kobo.

Ummm.... what?

I'm reading all kinds of books on my kobo that I didn't purchase from the kobo store.
Vidfreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would not recommend the Kobo to someone else at this point. It has problems. You could get another reader and be problem free.

If Kobo comes through with a firmware that solves the current issues then I might recommend, but not until.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post

I have been able to read all of the books that I downloaded. But, I did have to hack at the style sheet in most of them.

http://freesfonline.de/authors/Gordon%20R._Dickson.html
http://www.baen.com/library/
http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/
http://craphound.com/?cat=5
http://www.starrigger.net/ebooks.htm
http://www.timpratt.org/
http://manybooks.net/
http://www.feedbooks.com/
Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
I did have to hack at the style sheet in most of them.
That part is the key to the lie.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
That part is the key to the lie.
It's not a LIE.... it's just a bug. Its not like they are stating the font-scaling issue will not be fixed, deal with it or buy from us.... It's an undesirable problem, to both us and them, and they are fixing it.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote