Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Smile New Nokia internet tablet device

Engadget reports:
Quote:
Well, we don't really have a whole lot to tell you, but our pals at the Federal Communications Commission have all but confirmed the existence of what appears to be the new Nokia internet tablet (870? 880?). The FCC docs don't really tell us very much, other than that Nokia is releasing something later on down the road. So there you go, if you've got nothing better to do this weekend and have trouble sleeping, page after page of FCC filings ought to do the trick.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is this the rumored successor of the 770 supposedly with embedded GPS?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
As I told elsewhere, I am using the Nokia 770 Ad-Hoc mode as a way to have a fast screen (and Keyboard) in the iLiad, or a large screen in the Nokia if you prefer. Very synergetic products, and fully wireless.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Engadget has unboxing pics of the N800

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/n...ablet-unboxed/

No specs to go with it though.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
WaxMan
WaxMan began at the beginning.

Device: none yet...
Here we go Official Nokia site

also a fair few other details about on the net, more SD slots (2) faster cpu (330Mhz i belive) more mem 128MB (256MB flash) now etc..

Available in US and Europe Euro Nokia shop

decent details and links to other info

Last edited by WaxMan; 01-08-2007 at 09:14 AM.
WaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Whoa! Already available and in stock! I must confess I'm tempted. 400 euro is still relatively expensive, though. One major issue that kept me from buying the 770 was the slowness, but the CPU and RAM increase should address that concern. Curious about the battery life.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
lasala
lasala began at the beginning.

Device: N770, E61, Sony Reader
I just bought the N800 from nokia.com. I currently own the 770 and was very satisfied with it. Btw.. I returned the sony reader so i could buy the N800.

Once I get the device I will post some screenshots and compare these devices.
lasala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 AM   #8
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Well, I am excited about the Nokia 800 and I think I am going to get one. I am planning a long trip backpacking to many countries in the next year, and the weight of the guidebooks alone was going to be over 4 kilograms (and I travel light!). The Nokia 800 seemed like a great solution for many issues that I anticipated while traveling -- a reader for basic non-DRM'ed mobile e-reading, RSS feeds, secure internet access with good browsing experience, picture organizer, possibly GPS, casual multimedia, gaming, emails, etc. Skype also announced they are releasing software for the Nokia 800 in the first half of this year which is something else I was after, and there is already a non-Skype videophone solution for it.

Anyway, I searched everywhere for good e-book travel guides and there is very little out there. I researched how I might acquire travel guidebooks along the way and this is very hit and miss in non-English speaking countries. I even contacted one major publisher -- they said they are working on a solution (provided no details except to say will probably be DRM'ed) but it is not ready yet. Now I am planning to just purchase them all here in the US, scan them all in before my trip, and use the Nokia 800 for yet another task, as a guidebook reader

I have been reading a lot of posts here recently to try to get the hang of the workflow for converting a dense travel book to a set of HTML-embedded images and probably also an OCR'ed text, formats that seem appropriate for the Nokia 800. It will definitely take me some more time to get the hang of all that! But I thank those that have posted their experiences, especially Liviu. Until I read that information, I was not confident in the ability to read scanned books on the Nokia device.

I was initially excited about the Sony Reader. But it is too big for my special use while traveling overseas (issue of theft by attracting attention, size, weight, I just can't pocket it). I am also disappointed by the Sony Connect store content and their travel guidebook section is almost non-existent -- too bad, because travel content lends itself to DRM'ing since its useful lifespan is just 2-3 years and it is a true vertical market for e-books since book weight is a big issue for many travelers. Most of my reading nowadays is really on-line content, anyway, like the Wall Street Journal, forums, news, etc., so between that and non-DRM'ed books, I am hoping that the Nokia device can also meet my casual non-traveler reader needs, as well.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #9
travis
Enthusiast

By the way, I can't speak highly enough about this site. This is what the internet is all about. Here we have a relatively new topic, new and rapidly changing technology, and a core cadre of early adopters all politely exchanging useful information on what will hopefully someday soon be mainstream technology. Nice work.

Travis
Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks Travis. And I am glad you joined us!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Internet Tablet Talk has a nice video review
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, travis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis
But it is too big for my special use while traveling overseas (issue of theft by attracting attention, size, weight, I just can't pocket it).
I was concerned about that too -- sometimes you just can't really avoid leaving things lying about. As a result of some discussion around here, I settled on the hollow book method for both casual protection and camouflage purposes (for those occasions when this magnificent beast just isn't appropriate). I expect a hollow book would work for whatever device you end up with, so I figured I'd point it out.

It's really not difficult to make one, especially with these https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t instructions.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #13
travis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Welcome to MobileRead, travis!
I was concerned about that too -- sometimes you just can't really avoid leaving things lying about. As a result of some discussion around here, I settled on the hollow book method for both casual protection and camouflage purposes (for those occasions when this magnificent beast just isn't appropriate). I expect a hollow book would work for whatever device you end up with, so I figured I'd point it out.

It's really not difficult to make one, especially with these https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t instructions.
Hello NatCh, What a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing. This will go into my catalog of Smart Travel Ideas.

Travis
Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Not my idea, I take no credit for it, only for recognizing a good idea when I see one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
Laurens
Jah Blessed

CNET has a review and it's overwhelmingly positive.