Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Exclamation Contest: Title a book, win $3,000 -- ENDS 10/21/09

First off, let me say that I have nothing to do with the running of this contest, I know someone who's involved with the book in question, and they are trying to spread the word in hope of getting a good title out of the deal. I do, however, have some small reason to believe that it's legit.

In any case, it looks like simply entering effectively gets you a free copy of the book. Of course it goes without saying (but I will anyway, just 'cause I'm anal like that) that the book is under copyright, and would not be legal to share.

I don't know too much detail on the book itself, beyond what's below, specifically that it's a memoir of some sort, so there's really no telling what those who enter might be in for. I've already responded to the specified address, so I guess I'm along for the ride.

I believe the "local" referred to would be Houston, TX, if that matters to anyone.

Quote:
Win $3000! Title the Book

A local writer needs your assistance to title his upcoming memoir and has offered a $3000 prize that will go to the person who crafts the title that is chosen for the book and a $500 prize for person who crafts a 25-word synopsis of the story that is chosen for the cover.

Entry procedure:

Email titlethebook@gmail.com about your intent to enter the competition to receive an electronic copy of the manuscript

Read the manuscript and write:
  • A suggested title for the memoir
  • This should reflect the theme of the piece (hope, survival) without sounding like a self-help book
  • Brevity is key: keep it simple, powerful, to the point
  • Title should capture the ear and eye and attention of potential readers
  • A 25-word synopsis
  • An honest, straightforward review

Send the title, synopsis, and review back to titlethebook@gmail.com.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-15-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added contest end date.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Got a link to their website?
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
Sounds interesting! However, I, too, would like to check out the website - is there one available?

Thx,
~Xia~
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Googling produces www.titlethebook.com. I tried it, though, and it doesn't work. Pity, it sounds an interesting marketing ploy and I'd like to check it out. Hoots. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Don't worry. He'll add the link once he wakes up!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alas, there is no site, only the e-mail address -- I'd've posted it in the first place if there had been.

However, I did receive a copy of the book (in DOC format) this morning in response to my own message, so I can personally vouch for that much. Beyond that, there's not really much at risk from this end, is there?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The only possible waste NatCh is that of precious reading time if the 'memoir' is tripe. Some self publishers with more money and vanity than writing ability will go to enormous lengths to get good reviews on the story of their life. How do the first few pages read? Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
How do the first few pages read?
Well ... the plain answer to that would be misleading.

The story is apparently of a kidnapped child's experiences and his escape and recovery from the same. It picks up in the middle and it's actually kind of confusing, which seems to be deliberately done to emphasize the material.

The second chapter settles down and isn't muddled at all. It's not the best thing I've ever read, but it's far from the worst. Not my usual fare, of course, no magic swords or spaceships, you know.

It's contains a high level of description, but it's not burdensome, to me, at least. Of course since the first part of the second chapter deals with being a child in Houston, in the '70s, I suppose I relate to it better than many might.

I think my recommendation is that if you think that it sounds interesting enough, go ahead and send off for the book. If it turns out you don't like it, you don't have to finish reading it, and all you'd miss out on is entering the contest. Of course the final decision on that is entirely up to the individual.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The only possible waste NatCh is that of precious reading time if the 'memoir' is tripe.
Hmm, title for a tripe memoir - how about 'Oooh, you were offal!'

(You have to be British and very, very old to get that pun - well done if you didn't . )
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Nah, reading the right books (Doyle for example) will allow the non-old, non-British to get that pun. But I must say it took a lot of guts to make such a remark.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Hmm, title for a tripe memoir - how about 'Oooh, you were offal!'

(You have to be British and very, very old to get that pun - well done if you didn't . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Nah, reading the right books (Doyle for example) will allow the non-old, non-British to get that pun. But I must say it took a lot of guts to make such a remark.
between the two of you, i think you've broken my groaning muscle. i'll send you the bill for the replacement.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
an author who can't think of his own title and blurb ??!!! ... and hoping it'll sell well enough to pay for a competition prize ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How about the title Dazed and Confused as it pertains to the reader (after reading it) and the author?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
an author who can't think of his own title and blurb ??!!! ... and hoping it'll sell well enough to pay for a competition prize ....
Actually, they have a working title, and it's a reasonably good one, I can only guess that they want to see if they can get a really good one. The author seems to regard the book as an attempt to use their experiences to help others who might be in the same situation.

@JSWolf: The whole idea is to read the book and then come up with a title.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

One more detail -- the deadline for this is apparently the 21st, for those who are interested.