Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #31
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Thanks Dave for jumping in. Thankfully you can always be counted on to help all of us out. Even though my WinSCP has been working fine (with panels and everything) for months now, I still never figured out how to "install" the linux.inf file (or what I really needed to do), but I apparently did so without realizing it (or nothing would have worked -- right?). Regards, Jim
Old 09-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #32
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Thanks Dave for jumping in. Thankfully you can always be counted on to help all of us out. Even though my WinSCP has been working fine (with panels and everything) for months now, I still never figured out how to "install" the linux.inf file (or what I really needed to do), but I apparently did so without realizing it (or nothing would have worked -- right?). Regards, Jim
Yes, that seems right. An *.INF file is just a text file, and I *think now* that the default is to open it with your default text editor if you just left click on it. If you right click on it you should also see an INSTALL option. An INF file is basically just a script that installs "something" and makes the necessary registry changes so that other programs can use whatever was installed. In the case of linux.inf it "installs" files that are already part of WinXP and then makes the necessary registry entries.
I am sorry that I did not describe it better earlier, as I was thinking that the default action was to run the script when it was left clicked on. It seems that is not the case.
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #33
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'm kinda like ascherjim, both in thanking you Dave & not knowing exactly how I "installed" the .inf file. I think it was where I was putting in the 192.168.111.2 & it asked for the driver that it was installed.

Anyway thanks to both of you I have it now. So you see, us old dogs can manage some new tricks even if we don't "learn" them.