Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
.prc vs. .mobi

Can some kindle owners out there please tell me if kindle reads prc files? If not, is it sufficient to simply change the file extension from .prc to .mobi to make kindle read the file? If not, what is required to make a prc file kindle compatible?

Thanks.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
yes, kindle does read prc files.
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle reads PRC files nativly, no need to convert. DRM'ed mobi files *may* present a challenge, I have not tried these. My partner has a Kindle 2, I have an EZ ez Reader, and I have played a little.
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
.prc is essentially the same as .mobi. .prc was the file extension originally used, later changed to .mobi to reflect the Mobipocket name. There may be slight differences in supported formatting, but for your purposes, they are the same.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please be careful with what you say here...

A "PRC" file is just a "container" format, a little like a "ZIP" file. A PRC file can contain data in any format whatsoever.

Yes, a PRC file may well be a Mobipocket book (in which case the Kindle can read it), but it could also be a thousand other things too, which the Kindle can't read.

So to sum up, any DRM-free Mobipocket book can be a PRC file, and the Kindle will read it, but not all PRC files are Mobipocket books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

I thought it could read them, but then someone told me it had to be a .mobi file for kindle to read. I don't have a kindle so I thought maybe I was wrong. But apparently the other person was wrong.

Thanks very much for the responses. It was very helpful.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I thought it could read them, but then someone told me it had to be a .mobi file for kindle to read. I don't have a kindle so I thought maybe I was wrong. But apparently the other person was wrong.
Perhaps they meant that it had to be a "Mobi" file (ie a Mobipocket book) rather than a ".mobi" file (a file with an extension of ".mobi")?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The prc file extension is a hangover from the Palm PDA days. All my Palm data files from the 90's (not just etexts) have the prc extension. The program files had a pdb extension.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
The prc file extension is a hangover from the Palm PDA days. All my Palm data files from the 90's (not just etexts) have the prc extension. The program files had a pdb extension.
Other way around. "PRC" files ("Palm Resource Code") were nominally for "applications"; "PDB" files ("Palm Database") for data.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
In the old days (a year ago?) if you used the mobipocket creator to make a book it would turn out a .prc file. Now, it turns out .mobi.

However, I have found problems with many .prc files. For example, some of the ones from Baen used to show up on my Cybook without an author name -- although they did fine in windows using the mobipocket desktop. I found the solution was to run them through Calibre to batch convert them to .mobi files. I never tried these old .prc files on my Kindle, but I assume they would work fine. I know the converted .mobi files do work OK.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps they meant that it had to be a "Mobi" file (ie a Mobipocket book) rather than a ".mobi" file (a file with an extension of ".mobi")?
No, they meant having the file extension .mobi. And they thought a conversion was needed from a prc to a mobi when apparently you can just change the extension. It works in mobipocket reader, it works on my Cybook. Obviously they don't have a kindle and have been misinformed or have misunderstood something along the way. I needed to be sure. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
No, they meant having the file extension .mobi. And they thought a conversion was needed from a prc to a mobi when apparently you can just change the extension. It works in mobipocket reader, it works on my Cybook. Obviously they don't have a kindle and have been misinformed or have misunderstood something along the way. I needed to be sure. Thanks.
Coming from a Cybook to a Kindle2, is what I did. I don't believe you even need to change the extension. The Kindle should handle .prc fine also.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please be careful with what you say here...

A "PRC" file is just a "container" format, a little like a "ZIP" file. A PRC file can contain data in any format whatsoever.

Yes, a PRC file may well be a Mobipocket book (in which case the Kindle can read it), but it could also be a thousand other things too, which the Kindle can't read.

So to sum up, any DRM-free Mobipocket book can be a PRC file, and the Kindle will read it, but not all PRC files are Mobipocket books.
Fanx HarryT...

This I did not know, never owning or having anything to do with Palm devices.
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
However, I have found problems with many .prc files. For example, some of the ones from Baen used to show up on my Cybook without an author name -- although they did fine in windows using the mobipocket desktop. I found the solution was to run them through Calibre to batch convert them to .mobi files. I never tried these old .prc files on my Kindle, but I assume they would work fine. I know the converted .mobi files do work OK.
Until about a year ago, Baen used a Mobi creation tool which created a very old version of the Mobi file format, which didn't store author metadata. These files all have a ".prc" extension. Baen now generate "modern" Mobi books, with full metadata, and much better formatting; these files have a ".mobi" extension. They do not, however, seem to be converting the older files.

For the old format files, you'll get much better results by downloading the LIT version of the book, and converting that to Mobi.