Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Question for male world travelers...

Under current airline regulation, women can carry a purse as well as a carry on bag. For the male world travelers out there, what would be an acceptable (to the airlines) equivalent to a purse?

I'd like to get something to carry on my electronics separately from my one carry-on bag....

(This really is a serious question.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
Hi Ralph Sir Edward, I'm not a male but do manage a Luggage store and we carry alot of what some might call man bags kinda looks like a small computer bag with lots of compartments for all your electronic devices..and now there are some pretty classy back packs that have same compartments (and they don't look like purses) If you can check out luggage places *upper end* Briggs and Railly* line have some great bags.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Messenger bag or backpack.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
Briggs and Riley -needs more coffee and maybe turn some lights on or shut off Facebook and pay attention
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I seem to remember that the last time we flew, my husband was allowed his smallish camera bag as well as his backpack. I would go for something with a shoulder strap so it looks more like a 'purse' and not an additional carry-on bag. I like ladyjane's idea of a small computer bag (netbook sized).
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I (and a lot of Europeans) use a man's handbag. Saves stuffing yr pockets with keys, wallets, phones,notepads, pens, mascara (only joking there). I assume that "purse" is the American for handbag, so that would be a purse for men.

Don't know if they sell them in the states, but I got mine from a department store in Barcelona. Lots of different sizes and manly designs.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I carry a canvas messenger bag that always holds my portable electronics. (And my lunch, but never mind.) It looks sort of "pursish" but not femmy. It fits under the seat in front quite nicely.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On virtually all European airlines these days you are allowed ONE carry-on bag, full-stop. Women have to put hand-bag ("purse") inside their carry-on bag.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Under current airline regulation, women can carry a purse as well as a carry on bag. For the male world travelers out there, what would be an acceptable (to the airlines) equivalent to a purse?

I'd like to get something to carry on my electronics separately from my one carry-on bag....

(This really is a serious question.)
I have no answer.........but am curious. Where are you thinking of going and who told you you could??
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm currently on vacation in Maui after having flown from DC to San Diego for a few days then on to Oahu for a few days. Anyway, the rule on US airlines is that you are allowed one carry on bag plus a 'personal item'. The 'personal item' can be a back pack or computer bag or similar. I'm carrying a computer case and a back pack and and have boarded every flight without a problem.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I'm currently on vacation in Maui after having flown from DC to San Diego for a few days then on to Oahu for a few days. Anyway, the rule on US airlines is that you are allowed one carry on bag plus a 'personal item'. The 'personal item' can be a back pack or computer bag or similar. I'm carrying a computer case and a back pack and and have boarded every flight without a problem.
Cassidym, I have a towel. Where do I meet you?

Ok back on topic... My son flew to London about 9 months ago and they were allowed only 1 bag to carry on, but they let him carry a small camera case after he complained that the women were allowed a "purse".
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I carry a roll-on bag and the biggest purse I can find. Tim carries the camera bag and the rest of my stuff in another roll-on bag.

We travel fast, hard, and dirty. We haven't checked a bag in a long long time. We wear underwear, let it air out until it comes back into rotation, then turn it inside out and wear it again. Throw it away after that, don't bring it home, to make room in the bag for souvenirs. Nothing is dirty until you've worn it twice, or thrice if you are just passing through and don't expect to be recognized or remembered. Wear sneakers and pack sandals so that they don't take up much room. Head and Shoulders Shampoo can substitute as shower gel, but not vice versa, because gel makes your hair sticky. Pack a comb, not a brush. Blue jeans take up more space than slacks.

We have been travelling like this for quite a while now, and somehow survived without bringing along the whole house and kitchen sink. It's wonderfully liberating to get off the plane and not have to play baggage roulette hoping yours arrived when you did.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I always pack old unmentionables for that reason too Dixie, it's not worth the hassle bringing back socks with holes in them I should have thrown away some time ago.

Also if I am going to hot climates I usually only pack 2 pairs of socks one for "going out in" and one for the return flight - sandals all the way for the rest of the time

This might sound strange, but "fanny packs" (or bum bags in the UK) seldom get noted if worn under loose clothing especially when pushed round the back. I've seen some big bum bags on my travels (sorry but that just sounds rude, I apologise). Once you reach your destination they are perfectly comfortable being carried "messenger style" so you don't look like a throwback from the 80's.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The official airline regulations in the USA read: One carry-on piece of luggage and one personal bag.

No reference to purses or handbags.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
For me its a carry-on and a briefcase if I travel by air. For a computer I have only carried a USB stick or two for the past few years. I use self contained U3 programs and stuff. I have carried the Sony Reader with me for the past 2.5 years and that has been better than a laptop on any flight. I have enjoyed that time more than working on a laptop or watching the in-flight movies.

If I take up traveling again I will get a netbook.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote