Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
On the market for a new ereader!

My previous Kindle Paperwhite finally gave up the ghost, and refuses to boot on battery.
I've looked at battery replacements, but Amazon gave me a hell of a difficult time trying to find the right model battery (since every generation kindle has a different model number, and they don't mention what kind of kindle it's for).

I'm planning on going with another brand this time. No more Amazon.

What brand would you suggest?

I like:
Large screen, preferably larger than the standard 6" screens.
Thin, small bezel
Light weight,
long battery life, thinking e-ink here
a back (or front) light, that preferably also can be turned completely off, or very dim.
Not too expensive

I do have a lot of books in the amazon store, so it would be nice if I could read them on other devices as well.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-18-2017 at 07:33 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Personally I'm looking at the Onyx Book Magna Carta 3 AKA Kepler Pro.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Onyx ebook readers are quite expensive, and have quite fast CPUs as well, requiring more power.
I would prefer a very low profile reader, with a large display.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
My previous Kindle Paperwhite finally gave up the ghost, and refuses to boot on battery.
I've looked at battery replacements, but Amazon gave me a hell of a difficult time trying to find the right model battery (since every generation kindle has a different model number, and they don't mention what kind of kindle it's for).

I'm planning on going with another brand this time. No more Amazon.

What brand would you suggest?

I like:
Large screen, preferably larger than the standard 6" screens.
Thin, small bezel
Light weight,
long battery life, thinking e-ink here
a back (or front) light, that preferably also can be turned completely off, or very dim.
Not too expensive

I do have a lot of books in the amazon store, so it would be nice if I could read them on other devices as well.
Calibre and Kobo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Yes, I'm looking at the Kobo H2O vs One.
My last ereader was stolen from me;
Now it's a question if I want to pay the premium for a one, or buy a second hand H2O?
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Onyx ebook readers are quite expensive, and have quite fast CPUs as well, requiring more power.
I would prefer a very low profile reader, with a large display.
They also come with very large batteries. I'm pretty happy with my Max, hopefully my pleasant experience will continue.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I'm thinking a new Oasis doesn't sound bad.
They increased screen size by 1 inch (to 7").
Sounds interesting, but at $300, it's still a hefty price; plus, I can't fully disable the backlight, and ~ds doesn't work anymore to use the magnet.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-18-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If you go to newpower99.com you can find the right battery for your model Kindle.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I'm thinking a new Oasis doesn't sound bad.
They increased screen size by 1 inch (to 7").
Sounds interesting, but at $300, it's still a hefty price; plus, I can't fully disable the backlight, and ~ds doesn't work anymore to use the magnet.
Yes, you can fully disable the frontlight on the new Oasis. I just tried. It goes completely off.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yes, I'm looking at the Kobo H2O vs One.
My last ereader was stolen from me;
Now it's a question if I want to pay the premium for a one, or buy a second hand H2O?
If you go for Kobo over Kindle, I'd suggest an H20 over the ONE. There are just too many posts in the Kobo forum about defective Aura ONEs to be acceptable in a premium product. Those errors and flaws have continued into the brand new limited edition Aura ONE models.

I haven't noticed that level of complaints about any other Kobo model.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you go for Kobo over Kindle, I'd suggest an H20 over the ONE. There are just too many posts in the Kobo forum about defective Aura ONEs to be acceptable in a premium product. Those errors and flaws have continued into the brand new limited edition Aura ONE models.

I haven't noticed that level of complaints about any other Kobo model.
To clarify this, the Comfortlight (their brand for "night" lighting) uneveness can be a problem on some Kobo Aura Ones. If you don't care about that and just want the bigger screen etc, there is no reason not to go for the KA1 (although it isn't cheap either).

I do agree with ZodWallop that they really shouldn't have Comfortlight issues on a device that expensive, but personally since I don't care about that (actually I do use just a touch of it take some of the harshness out of the lighting), I'm will to pay the price for everything else the KA1 offers (primarily that extra inch of screen).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
If you go to newpower99.com you can find the right battery for your model Kindle.
From I can tell there are basically two battery models. The one model for the PW 1 (which is the same as the one for the Kindle Touch) and one model for both the PW 2, PW 3. But definitely double check, I could have misread.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac

My PW is 5th generation
Old 12-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
My PW is 5th generation
Then you need this battery ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Battery...YAAOSwbtVZUbzJ
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
They use the same off brand batteries you can pick up on ebay for 10 bucks
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote