Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #481
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
OS X has regex, but apparently Word 2011 for Mac does not.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #482
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The wild card search is MS watered down and altered version of Regular Expressions.

Regular Expressions is an industry standard programing/search language that allows users to search trough text efficiently.

I switched to RegEx because Microsoft started including it in their Microsoft suit a while back.

The library is called "MS VB Script Regular Expressions". It's part of the VB Script library it should be in the (VBScript.dll) DLL.

1. Open a word doc by double clicking on the BookCreator template file
2. Press Alt+11
3. Select menu "Tool|References..."
4. Look for "MS VB Script Regular Expressions" or something to that extent. Or look for the VBScript.dll library.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #483
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

The library is called "MS VB Script Regular Expressions". It's part of the VB Script library it should be in the (VBScript.dll) DLL.
No VBScript in OS X, so I guess that's a definite no-go.

OS X uses AppleScript or JavaScript.

Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited by Jimbo724; 07-24-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #484
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7 (2013); Sony PRS-505; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Bookcreator 2007 & MS Word 2010 crashes (a lot)

MS Word 2010 with Bookcreator 2007 crashes about 99% of the time, though the epub book I'm creating usually gets created before MS Word crashes.

Word does completely crash and when I "recover" the Word file that is my source file for the epub book, it is selected from a list of recovered files from the crash, etc.

I used the earlier versions of Book creator with Word 2000 and 2003 with great success for years, but am forced to use Office 2010 on my Windows 7 computer (which I'm not happy about all in all -- the usually mediocre, at best, OS from Redmond, WA).

Any suggestions? (thanks in advance!)
pyatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #485
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

More info:

before the MS Word crash, I am usually prompted to save both "BookCreator_2007.dotm" and "normal.dotm" but states that the files are read-only and cannot be saved. What's with this??? Is this one of the asinine Microsoft security settings that cause more problems than they solve????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyatrus View Post
MS Word 2010 with Bookcreator 2007 crashes about 99% of the time, though the epub book I'm creating usually gets created before MS Word crashes.

Word does completely crash and when I "recover" the Word file that is my source file for the epub book, it is selected from a list of recovered files from the crash, etc.

I used the earlier versions of Book creator with Word 2000 and 2003 with great success for years, but am forced to use Office 2010 on my Windows 7 computer (which I'm not happy about all in all -- the usually mediocre, at best, OS from Redmond, WA).

Any suggestions? (thanks in advance!)
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #486
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyatrus View Post
MS Word 2010 with Bookcreator 2007 crashes about 99% of the time, though the epub book I'm creating usually gets created before MS Word crashes
Are you using the latest version of BookCreator? This use to be a problem but was resolved a few months back. I recommend you re-download BookCreator again. Those error messages seem like the old behavior.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #487
pyatrus
Enthusiast

Thanks, but that does not seem to be the issue. I assume it's a security issue of some sort since it keeps prompting me to save the Word template and sometimes I also get the error "AnyToHTML: An Error has occurred - This file is read-only."

I verified I have the March, 2012 book creator 2007 template, I have Windows administrator rights access with the Windows login I'm using, etc.

As I mentioned, the epub DOES get created; it's simply verify annoying to deal with all of the "save template" messages, read-only file messages when I try to save, etc., etc.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #488
firefoxvn
firefoxvn began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Nexus
I have the same problem like pyatrus. The epub or mobi gets created but Word crashes. Can you fix this problem?
My system is Windows 7 64bit and Office 2010 32bit with BookCreator 2007 v3.05.03.
Now I save Word file to odt file and use Calibre to convert odt file directly.
firefoxvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #489
=X=
Wizard

This was supposed to be fixed, I'll look into it. I'm our of town and won't get to fix it next week
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #490
Raswan
Raswan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Similar problem in Word 2007 Windows 7 64 bit. Prompted to save templates (BC and Normal) , but they are used. After closing popupping windows, ebook is normally created. So no crash, but its annoying. I have version 3.5.03 from first page .
Raswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #491
=X=
Wizard

@Raswan /pyatrus
I've been trying for a week and I am unable to reproduce the problems mentioned here. I don't have administrative rights on my PC so that is not required. I have MS Word 2007 on Windows 7. I've been ungraded and I agree I hate Windows7. @Pytrus are you still getting the crash? On your last post you only mention the "Save template" issue.

I don't know if I've changed a setting in my MS Word to disable that but here is how my settings look. Note in particular the Red box.

I don't know if I'm stating the obvious here so please disregard if you are familiar with what I'm about to suggest.

Don't "open" the template file, create a new file and use the template. Do it buy selecting the "File |New..." and open a doc using "My templates"

Or double click on the BookCreator_2007.docm file. Enable the Marcro setting.

Also make sure you have the settings set the same way I do on my screen capture below.

To get to this setting do as follows
1) Open a word document
2) Select the "Office" logo
3) Select the button <Word Options>
4) Select on the "Advance" tab
5) Scroll down to the "Save" section.

Let me know if this helps

=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr_dialog_save-tempalte.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	92379  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #492
Raswan
Raswan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have identical settings, but nothing works.

Looks like problem between two processes acessing same files. Have two running Winword.exe after running macro. After closing all prompting warnings, second smaller Winword.exe dissapear and macro continues without problem. Trying older version 3.0 and i dont see any other winword.exe, after running macro.

Previously I was using an older version BC without problem, is there possibility to some mismatch between new and older version (windows registry, macros, etc) ?

Anyway, its not a big problem for me, if e-book is created
Raswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #493
pyatrus
Enthusiast

It's a Windows 7 (64 or 32 and 64, not sure) Permissions issue -- I'm pretty sure. It may be an ongoing Microsoft Windows/Office permissions issue bug too.

BUT, what works for me is (1) give my login account "administrator" privileges, and (2) make sure the "properties" for the folder you store your templates (including "Bookcreator") and normal.dotx, etc. gives full read/write privileges to administrator accounts. That takes away the annoyance of all of those "can't save" etc. messages for me. In all cases though, the epub book was created by Bookcreator.

Microsoft is such a second-rate, do the job half-way company, no wonder Apple is such a success. . . . :-( (I still to Windows instead of Linux or the Mac simply to keep to one OS/set of apps on all computers -- life is simpler -- if a big, big hassle most of the time). Bookcreator *IS* great, and I use it quite a lot and over many of its iterators!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #494
JDufort
JDufort began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3gtouch
First thanks for the tool which, if I'm able to get to work correctly, is exactly what I was looking for. Here are my issues though. First know that I use windows 7 32bit with Office 2007 and your 2007 macro. I've got an English OS and an English version of MSOffice but type in French most of the time so the test file I'm sending is in French (I have French as my keyboard and language selection could this have an effect)

Anyways, as I create the file, I originally used the Title Author, chapters, sub-chapters from your template etc... to mark my book. Creating a TOC even worked as advertised. My issue appears when I try creating an EPUB version. I've used two methods (i.e. make an epub from within the template by using the "create an Ebook" button and also going through SIGIL by going save as filtered html and then opening with Sigil). In both cases, whether I use Sigil or flightcrew to validate the epub file, I get messages such as the ones below. Am I doing something wrong? I read somewhere that epub didn't recognize 'name' but used 'id' instead. Is that the case here and if so what can I do to use the template whithout having to manually change 'name' to 'id' or can I? And if that's the case what would I change 'vlink' and 'link' to?

Furtehrmore, even though the TOC was created fine in the Word doc using your macro, SIGIL doesn't recognize the headers as being chapters, sub chapters etc... The only way I got to get SIGIL to recognize my items for what they were (TOC items) was when I use the header 1-2-3-4 etc... format instead of the macro preformatted chapter headers . So is this what I need to do, not make use of your macro preformats?
In essence, my question should be, what is the best way to use your template and all its features and still pass the epub validation tests?

Many thanks for all your hard work and for the tme you'll spend answering this question.

Jacques

Line 455 - attribute 'link' is not declared for element 'body'
Line 455 - attribute 'vlink' is not declared for element 'body'
Line 465 - attribute 'name' is not declared for element 'a'

PS I can provide you the small htm and/or word file if need be.
JDufort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #495
timbooo
timbooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy old thread resurrection sorry

Hey "X" if you're still around. Firstly of course I'll echo everyone's gratitude for the nice toolset you've handed us. Unfortunately I'm mostly here to whine about a problem I'm having though. Similarly to a few others I've seen on my skim through the thread, I'm on Windows 7 and Office 2010, using the 2007 template, and Word crashes during the export. It seems to crash at the instant that a second instance of Word opens. Unlike some others though, nothing is created for me. I would just move on and use something else but I've prepared 100 files before realising that export doesn't work! (Woe is me!) So, I'd prefer to find out how to get it working.

I thought maybe permissions or somesuch was at fault. I stored my template file on the desktop (because I'm lazy and messy) and I thought maybe that was it. So I copied it to a "normal" folder and tried a brand new fresh new file but still no luck. I'm using all the proper buttons to set title, author. Mostly using the magic chapter finder (I love you so much for this, btw). Alas nothing works.

Any ideas, anyone?
timbooo is offline   Reply With Quote