Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
renochew
renochew began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Japanese/Chinese Input?

I read this forum for a while now and you guys successfully convinced me to actually taking the trouble of ordering an NC (outside US). I just receive this baby and loving it. This is my first post here looking for help...

I know that I have a very little chance of receiving any positive feedback, but did any of you successfully installing any Asian language keyboard input for your nook color? It would be perfect if I could input Chinese and Japanese since I want to read and write both language...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
renochew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
snowman55
snowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle3, nookcolor
I don't have the direct answer but I think it's possible.

1. After rooting, I got a bunch of language dictionaries from the android market, incl.
cidian dictionary. You'll have to input in pinyin.

2. haven't tried this: http://robrohan.com/2010/05/01/chine...-1-htc-desire/

but see if it works on the rooted nc.
snowman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
renochew

Hi, thanks for the reply, well, i tried 4 to 5 different type of IME apps now, even I successfully make them appear in the keyboard selection list of the nook tools and activate them, the interface do appear when I click the text box, when I click the input button, the interface disappear immediately without inputing any words. All ime apps I tried have the same symptoms. So, it seems it is the NC itself that make the IMEs can not be run appropriately..
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
snowman55
snowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enoughsnowman55 will become famous soon enough

im still new to android so this is more speculation than anything:

after rooting, I installed an alt keyboard but req me to rename that as latinIMe. maybe u can try that trick
Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
snowman55

igot it to work with google Pinyin ime. follow same instructions as for Slideit keyboard in this forum
你 好。 你 是中国人?

from my rooted nc
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
snowman55

igot it to work with google Pinyin ime. follow same instructions as for Slideit keyboard in this forum
你 好。 你 是中国人?

from my rooted nc
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
renochew

Hi Snowman, thanks for the reply, actually, I did install slideit successfully before I try other IME, using the same installation method (namely, copy apk to sys/app -> install -> change permission). But it didn't work. But I haven't try rename the latinIME (I didn't need to do so to get slideitto work). I will take a shot.

Exactly which file I need to rename?

To give more information above the IME I tried, I have installed OpenWnn and Kaede IME (For Japanese input), CedIME (for Chinese Input), all of them can be activated through the nookcolor tool, but the interface disappear when I click any button on it.

PS: 是的.

Last edited by renochew; 01-08-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
snowman55

i didnt rename... just copied to system/app dir and install from there. reboot and nookcolor tools to set keyboard ..viola.

try google pinyin ime from mkt since its free. i didnt try others ... might try one for Japanese.

Last edited by snowman55; 01-08-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
renochew

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman55 View Post
i didnt rename... just copied to system/app dir and install from there. reboot and nookcolor tools to set keyboard ..viola.
I tried that but unfortunately it seems it didn't work (except slideit).

Yes, lets try together.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
snowman55

I'm using root explorer RE if it helps
1 mkt place to get google pinyin ime
2 install from notification
3 RE copy from /data/app the google apk
4 RE back back ... navigate to system/app due
5 RE R/O mode
6 RE paste
7 RE long press on the just pasted string i.e. the google ime apk
to install
8 reboot
9 nookcolor tools to pick the new keyboard or just long press in any application text input (gives u a choice of keyboard)

Last edited by snowman55; 01-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
snowman55

try following the steps using root explorer. detail it if u can.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
slim150
slim150 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman55 View Post
I'm using root explorer RE if it helps
1 mkt place to get google pinyin ime
2 install from notification
3 RE copy from /data/app the google apk
4 RE back back ... navigate to system/app due
5 RE R/O mode
6 RE paste
7 RE long press on the just pasted string i.e. the google ime apk
to install
8 reboot
9 nookcolor tools to pick the new keyboard or just long press in any application text input (gives u a choice of keyboard)
Hello. I have the same exact issues as the OP... any IME/Keyboard I install for japanese I can get to show up on my nook color's list of keyboards to choose... then when I select a text field it pops up. BUT then the second I try to type something the keyboard disappears.

I have tried every app or ime availible and was wondering if you got it working. I did get google's Pinyin to work fine.. but I don't know any chinese :/
slim150 is offline   Reply With Quote