Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #16096
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's one of my favourites, although I think I'd probably put "Murder Must Advertise" right at the very top.
Gosh, so hard to choose a favourite. Maybe Nine Taylors, if only because I learned something about bell ringing that was completely new to me. Or even Busman's Holiday. But then, I'd have to fall back to Murder Must Advertise as the classic non-Harriet Vane book. But really, I don't think there's one I didn't enjoy.

Currently reading Wen Spencer's Endless Blue. It took a bit to sort out the beginning, but I'm now starting to really get in to it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #16097
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Just finished Lola and the Boy next door by Stepanie Perkins. Highly recommended if you're into contemporary romance. Nex up: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
How does it compare with Anna and the French Kiss?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #16098
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz turned out to really have the feel of a Conan Doyle Holmes tale and I really got the feel of the environment and the characters. The story was very interesting as well and had some real surprising twists. With the exception of the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King I've stayed away from the Holmes-by-other-authors stories, but I'm sure glad to have read this one!
That sums up nicely how I felt about it too.

Just finished Hit Me by Lawrence Block, the latest in the hit-man Keller series. Ok, though strangely tension-free given the subject matter. In fact it was most interesting when he was revealing the history of various stamps, Keller being an avid collector.

Now moving on to Desert Places by Blake Crouch. After the surprise enjoyment of The Pines a couple of months ago, I have been promising myself a try of more of his works.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #16099
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next is another "first contact." This one by Karen Traviss, City of Pearl.
This was 392 pages of nothingness. The world creation was ok but too minimal. There was such a good opportunity for more development but Traviss didn't take advantage of it. The storyline was straightforward with no surprises. Not much happened. The book just ended with no climax. Nothing here. Rated D [2 stars]

Next is a gamble. Skyship Academy: The Pearl Wars by Nick James. A YA Sci-fi about two opposing groups on the hunt for energy "pearls" that drop from space.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #16100
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just finished Slaves of God by Brian Rappatta. Wasn't a big fan unfortunately. I thought the characterisations seems a little inconsistent while conversely, the voice of each character was a bit too similar and the internal logic wasn't really holding together. Additionally, sometimes I felt like I was intruding on someone's fetishistic musings which was a little uncomfortable. I hate doing it to an indie author, but I wouldn't recommend this one.

Next indie book is The Last Bad Job by Colin Dodds:
Quote:
The Last Bad Job is the story of a reporter with a hell of an assignment: Five months on a New Mexico desert compound to cover what may be the next Jonestown. For the reporter, it could be a career-maker. But when a cult member close to him drowns herself, he decides to run for it, and sets unimaginable events into motion. What ensues is a dark and comic journey through sex, drugs, cults, suicide, the apocalypse, and what comes after it.
Bit of a strange one, so I'll see how I go.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #16101
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Armlet by Ross Richdale
I can't recommend it. The basic story-telling is OK-ish, but the science fiction aspects of it are completely dreadful. I think the author might have been better off making it a fantasy, but even then there's be some bits that would be appalling.

I'm rather surprised I finished it.

(Hey - for a few days my TBR is below 300! But it'll pop back above 300 when April comes along.)

Next up: Dog and Dragon by Dave Freer. A sequel to Dragon's Ring, I think.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #16102
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I forced myself to finish Perelandra, the second volume in C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. I started reading it with eager anticipation after the imagination-filled Out of the Silent Planet, the first volume in the series. There are two big problems with Perelandra: 1. not much happens for most of the book, apart from the protagonist talking with an alien woman who doesn't understand much of what he says... leading to 2. I had a difficult time following what was being said too.

The author writes that he wanted to spur discussion about religious ideas in a more popular format. But the way this particular novel does it...

Plot spoiler ahead:
Spoiler:
The book is essentially an alternate take on the Eden story from the Bible: what if someone had intervened and prevented Eve from taking the apple?

I get that some initial misunderstanding makes sense for the plot and the off-world setting, but not page after page of confusing questions and answers!

It made for a very unpleasant read, and it's put me off of finishing the trilogy. I haven't yet decided what to read next.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #16103
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wttwoa View Post
managed to get the 5 book set of Percy Jackson & the Olympians for $10 and i read the whole first book yesterday and started the 2nd book today, great books so far.
One of my favorite series! The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus are both fantastic as well. Rick Riordan is a great author.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #16104
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(Hey - for a few days my TBR is below 300! But it'll pop back above 300 when April comes along.)
Well done. Yes, it will pop back up, but this is the first time I remember seeing it below 300. You're doing well.

Quote:
Next up: Dog and Dragon by Dave Freer. A sequel to Dragon's Ring, I think.
I've got this series in my library (those sneaky monthly bundles!), but haven't read either. What did you think of Dragon's Ring?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #16105
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've got this series in my library (those sneaky monthly bundles!), but haven't read either. What did you think of Dragon's Ring?
Here's what I thought, when I read it in July 2010.

Summary: I liked it. I gave it an 8/10 in my list for 2010.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #16106
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Here's what I thought, when I read it in July 2010.

Summary: I liked it. I gave it an 8/10 in my list for 2010.
Thanks, Paul. I'll move it over to my TBR and see what I think. Of course, my TBR is a bit larger than I'd like right now, with a bunch of mysteries on it (still have several of the Phryne Fisher books to read, and then there's the Morse and Campion books...), but I need to space those out with some good SF, so hopefully I'll get to it soonish.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #16107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Note that falling free is set in the same universe as her Vorkosigan books, but a few hundred years earlier and with no common characters. It is an excellent story. I hope you enjoy it.
I did finish Free Falling and I really enjoyed it. The next book in the series is on my TBR list fairly near the top.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #16108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While I was away on yet another Cruise, I finished the following books...

Falling Free by Lois McMasters Bujold
Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks

All are enjoyable reads.

My next up read is Survivor in Death by J.D. Robb.

Quote:
After the members of the Swisher family were murdered in their beds, nine-year-old Nixie Swisher was left an orphan—and the sole eyewitness to a seemingly inexplicable crime. Kids are not Dallas’s strong suit. But Nixie needs a safe place to stay—and Dallas needs to solve this case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #16109
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm just about to finish the first book of 'The Farseer Trilogy' by Robin Hobb, "Assassin's Apprentice."

I found this review of the book, which I'll put here; "I can barely remember the last time I waited quite this breathlessly for the next installment of a series." At the time, I didn't realize it was because nothing of any substance happened in the first book...

I admit that it's been interesting to watch the development of the characters, and the flow of history as the story progresses, but I've got about 10 more pages to go and there has yet to be anything really substantive happening. A bit of this, a bit of that, but in which book of the Trilogy does the MAIN EVENT happen? The story is well written, the characters interesting and well developed, and there is no 'boredom' to reading it, but where is the 'oomph?' So far, nothing has really happened. It's as if this is the first 300 pages of a 700-page book.

EDIT: Well, it just happened. He didn't kill someone important but was blamed for it, then forgiven. The end. I'll read book two in a few months after I get my blood running again.

Stitchawl
That's exactly what I had in mind. But Astra seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about this trilogy.

Spoiler:
The climax is in the third book - but then I wouldn't call that a climax. Remember, Fitz is supposed to be the catalyst, not the hero. An important, but not the biggest role. So don't expect anything fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wttwoa View Post
managed to get the 5 book set of Percy Jackson & the Olympians for $10 and i read the whole first book yesterday and started the 2nd book today, great books so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
One of my favorite series! The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus are both fantastic as well. Rick Riordan is a great author.
I agree that Percy Jackson is great. The story is simple, but Mr. Riordan really does know how to keep you turning the pages. But I had problem with the other two series. They're also good, but I found them boring. Perhaps I got tired with the theme.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #16110
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I'm reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. I started reading it yesterday during the day, and almost finished it at the roller skating rink when my daughter was skating. But then it was time to go just as the book was getting to the most suspenseful part, and I was too busy last night to finish it. At some point today I'll get to the end.
I really liked this book. I'm surprised by how much I liked it, as suspense novels aren't usually my thing. I have no idea what to read next, though.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote