Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #31
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sounds very familiar (issue and genre). Could I get you to do a quick check on the book to see if there is a vellum-created.svg in the images?
If you can explain to me what a vellum-created.svg actually is I'm sure I can look for it and let you know.

I'll also try bringing up the dictionary by holding my finger on a random part of the "blank" screen.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
If you can explain to me what a vellum-created.svg actually is I'm sure I can look for it and let you know.

I'll also try bringing up the dictionary by holding my finger on a random part of the "blank" screen.
SVG is an image type (scalable vector graphics). For some reason, Vellum loves using SVG for images. So instead of the vellum-created.png or .jpg you would expect to see, you will see vellum-created.svg in the Images directory when you open the epub with Sigil.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:10 AM   #33
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
SVG is an image type (scalable vector graphics). For some reason, Vellum loves using SVG for images. So instead of the vellum-created.png or .jpg you would expect to see, you will see vellum-created.svg in the Images directory when you open the epub with Sigil.
Ok, there is an SVG file titled vellum-created.svg There are also three other svg files but they all have actual titles such as one social-facebook-screen.svg

When I click on any of them they just bring up a bunch of code in Sigil.

As for the idea of the blank bit of screen having invisible writing on it, I tried holding my finger on the screen on a number of different points but it never brought up the dictionary.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #34
PKFFW
Wizard

Sorry to revive this thread but I thought maybe someone who knows stuff about code could help out with this one.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a short bit of the Sigil code for reference, if I am, please report it to the mods and they can delete this post.

Firstly, just for clarity, this is about the second issue I raised in this thread, to recap, here's the issue in short.....
The issue occurs on both my wife's Sony PRS-T2 and my Kobo H2O
Whenever there is an "ornamental break" in the page it messes with how the pages display.
With this particular example posted below, here are the problems;
1: With font size set to minimum, when Chapter 43 ends and you turn the page it jumps to the ornamental break and doesn't even load up the start of Chapter 44.
2: If font size is set to any other level when turning the page from the end of Chapter 43 it will load up from the start of Chapter 44. However much text can fit on the page is displayed and then when you next change the page it jumps to the "ornamental break". Depending on the size of the font it may be missing anything from a line or two up to a paragraph or more.
3: There was an SVG file titled "vellum-created.svg" in the images directory. However, in an attempt to fix the problem I used Calibre to change it from the original epub to a new epub. Now there is no such file in the images.

ETA: The "ornamental break" appears to be a simple *** between one scene and the next.

Here's the code in question......

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>Chapter Forty-Four</title>
<meta content="urn:uuid:be6c1b7e-f650-475a-ab7a-c1c07c0e535a" name="Adept.expected.resource" />
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="../Styles/page_styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body class="cover">
<section epub:type="chapter" id="chapter-forty-four">
<div class="heading" id="chapter-forty-four-heading">
<div class="title-page-contributor-primary-block">
<div class="element-number-block"></div>

<h1 class="title">Chapter Forty-Four</h1>
</div>

<h3 class="subtitle">Ryan</h3>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div class="title-page-contributor-primary-block" id="chapter-forty-four-text">
<p class="first"><span><span>D</span>amn!</span> A fire alarm at this time of night? I was still up, of course, concerned about Ruby. Where was she? I opened the door to our room. People were congregating in the halls, trying to get to the stairwells. It was a giant <span class="last-word">clusterfuck</span>.</p>

<p class="first">I sniffed. No smoke. It had to be a hoax. Some kid probably thought it was funny to pull the alarm. High school bullshit. I went back into the room and shut the door. I wasn’t <span class="last-word">leaving</span>.</p>

<p class="first">Quickly I checked my phone. Nothing. I paced the living area, most likely leaving a trail on the thin hotel carpeting. Her apartment hadn’t yielded any clues other than the book and the paper, but neither of those gave me any idea where she might <span class="last-word">be</span>.</p>

<p class="first">I couldn’t lose her. Not now. Not <span class="last-word">ever</span>.</p>

<p class="first">I thought back to our first walk on the beach in Jamaica in the <span class="last-word">moonlight</span>.</p>
<hr class="ornamental-break" />

<p class="first"><i class="calibre2"><span><span>H</span>er eyes were</span> the clearest blue. Amazing I could see them in the dark, but they were <span class="last-word">mesmerizing</span>.</i></p>

Last edited by PKFFW; 03-10-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:13 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please post the CSS. There's no way to guess what the problem is without also seeing the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #36
PKFFW
Wizard

What is the CSS?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is the CSS?
How long have you been on MR? CSS is the code in the style sheet. It's the code that give the classes their meaning.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #38
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm forgetting the name of the calibre plugin but there is one that will scramble the text of the epub but leave the CSS alone.

Scramble the book and upload it, then we can look at it and give advice.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sorry to revive this thread but I thought maybe someone who knows stuff about code could help out with this one.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a short bit of the Sigil code for reference, if I am, please report it to the mods and they can delete this post.

Firstly, just for clarity, this is about the second issue I raised in this thread, to recap, here's the issue in short.....
The issue occurs on both my wife's Sony PRS-T2 and my Kobo H2O
Whenever there is an "ornamental break" in the page it messes with how the pages display.
With this particular example posted below, here are the problems;
1: With font size set to minimum, when Chapter 43 ends and you turn the page it jumps to the ornamental break and doesn't even load up the start of Chapter 44.
2: If font size is set to any other level when turning the page from the end of Chapter 43 it will load up from the start of Chapter 44. However much text can fit on the page is displayed and then when you next change the page it jumps to the "ornamental break". Depending on the size of the font it may be missing anything from a line or two up to a paragraph or more.
3: There was an SVG file titled "vellum-created.svg" in the images directory. However, in an attempt to fix the problem I used Calibre to change it from the original epub to a new epub. Now there is no such file in the images.

ETA: The "ornamental break" appears to be a simple *** between one scene and the next.
What you are describing is exactly what I have seen which I attempted to describe above and I think DNSB has seen something similar. To prove that it is the same, try a long press in the area the text is missing. I found that the device would select a word and display the meaning. You might need to try a few places in case you manage to get a spot where there isn't a word. Closer to the left will be more likely to find something. And testing the book you posted before, that does happen.

I am pretty sure the problem is in how the styles interact, but have not been able to work it out. I have been meaning to extract a sample to post and ask the experts here (I'm an amateur when it comes to CSS). I have also had the same book on a tolino epos with the same problem. As tolino and Kobo and the Sony your wife has, use the Adobe RMSDK for ePubs, it suggests the problem is there. I'll see if I can make a short example that does this. If I can get it to one chapter, it should be easy to produce a sample that doesn't break copyright rules here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I believe the plugin is called Scramble ePub (or eBook).

I would like to see the CSS and the code that fails. I have never once seen this. But then, I do remove extra CSS and clean up what's left. Sometimes the CSS can be a real mess. Simple works best.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #41
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How long have you been on MR? CSS is the code in the style sheet. It's the code that give the classes their meaning.
My profile says I joined May 12th 2008.

I like to read, I generally couldn't give a fig about the code that allows me to do so. I only care about that when there is a problem. This is the first problem that has annoyed me enough in the past 10 years to bother trying to fix.

Thanks for letting me know what the CSS is. I still have no idea how to actually find it and post it here though.

But not to worry though. I got the original file out, deleted the "vellum-created.svg" file from the images folder and that has solved the problem.

Now instead of a scene break being denoted by a gap with *** in the middle of it there is just a gap. Pages load correctly with no missing text and that's all that really matters to my wife.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My profile says I joined May 12th 2008.

I like to read, I generally couldn't give a fig about the code that allows me to do so. I only care about that when there is a problem. This is the first problem that has annoyed me enough in the past 10 years to bother trying to fix.

Thanks for letting me know what the CSS is. I still have no idea how to actually find it and post it here though.

But not to worry though. I got the original file out, deleted the "vellum-created.svg" file from the images folder and that has solved the problem.

Now instead of a scene break being denoted by a gap with *** in the middle of it there is just a gap. Pages load correctly with no missing text and that's all that really matters to my wife.
When you open the ebook with Sigil, the CSS stylesheets will be in the Styles directory. With Vellum, created ebooks, you're likely to see a media.css and a style.css file. Open the style.css file, set Sigil to search in current file and search for the ornamental-break svg file name which should show up similar to the example below:

Code:
hr.ornamental-break {
    background-image: url(../Images/break-section-side-screen.svg);
Then set the search to all files and search for '<hr class=' which should highlight some results similar to:

Code:
<hr class="ornamental-break ornamental-break-as-hr"/>
What I do is to replace the line found in multiple files with the following:

Code:
<p class="tristar">*& #160;& #160;*& #160;& #160;*</p>
remove the space after the &s in the above line.

and add the following to the style.css file:

Code:
.tristar {
    display : block;
    font-size : 1.25em;
    font-weight : bold;
    margin-bottom : 1.25em;
    margin-left : 0;
    margin-right : 0;
    margin-top : 1.25em;
    text-align : center;
}
This give me a simple centered triple star which does not cause reading problems but does emphasize a scene break. My version of a quick and dirty fit to an annoyance.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote