Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I do like the 2 column reading feature! It's just the size of the thing. Maybe if it was sitting on a table in a stand, it would be better. It just seems too big to hold for reading! I'll try it again.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-04-2019 at 09:29 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #32
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I do like the 2 column reading feature! It's just the size of the thing. Maybe if it was sitting on a table in a stand, it would be better. It just seems too big to hold for reading! I'll try it again.
I don't actually "hold" it. maybe that's the trick with larger devices

I lie back, reclined and have it resting on my body with the opened cover making an inverted V shape, so weight becomes irrelevant.
I can just tap for page turn and my moonreader app is configured so I can twp either side ( either hand) for next page. I configure tap centre top for the rarely needed previous page. Its a pity i can't set the kindle app like that also, for consistency, but the tap zones are not configurable

I use all my tablets that way.
same for streaming video - so wacthing video for an hour is no strain at all
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently Netflix is not compatible with the fire 10. Not through Google play. Wonderful. Only through Amazon app store. I wonder why.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 AM   #34
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there's a perfectly good netflix app, which gives full HD 1920 x 1200 (I have tested) in the the amazon app store for free.

so you don't need the google store version ( though where exactly do you see not compatible ?) *
the amazon store version has all the latest features, including download for offline, 10 sec skips...
and it could be that the amazon app has has a specific dispensation to stream at full HD
netflix from play store on many tablets , not specifically white-listed) is only at 720p
that is something I check for before buying and both my Huawei & my lenovo do stream at full HD ( but some of the flagship Samsung S2, 3, 4 do not! - go figure )

ps I did read in one HD 10 review, but I dont believe it, that amazon say installing google apps voids the warranty . So i guess you play safe & remove them if ever you need to return them. Probably that reviewer got confused with rooting ( which is un-necessary but which probably does void a warranty)

* i will check on mine, later

Last edited by stumped; 12-08-2019 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #35
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I was surprised and alarmed, at first, when the play store said Netflix was incompatible. So I had to find the Amazon app store (I hid it in a Junk folder) and it worked perfectly.

Should one always attempt to use apps from the Amazon app store first, and if they don't have it, then go to the Play store? Guess I'll take it out of the Junk folder!

Netflix did work great on the Fire 10.
Advert
Old 12-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #36
stumped
Wizard

its a strange issue. i am 99% certain that the google store version worked on the 2017 model ( which I have sold)
but I replicated your result. I checked play store for netflix and nothing was found, then I checked under my apps. normally I would see it twice there - the android TV version for my shield TV and the tablet version, but I only saw one & it said incompatible.
usually , when an app is on both stores, I go with the google version as that is often newer e.g. I opt for google for BBC news, CNN... then ignore amazon nags to update them.
and for paid apps I prefer to buy from google, and not bother adding the amazon store to any non amazon devices
For a long time, the amazon store ebay app would not even work - it told you to install a mandatory security update and sent you to the google store to get it,. so on an old Kindle fire, with no google store, that was totally borked - for months.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #37
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
My Fire 10 tablet should arrive Monday (12/9). Since I ordered it on Cyber-Monday I'm a little disappointed it will take a week to arrive. In fact, I called customer service yesterday to inquire why the case I ordered along with it (the amazon "official" case) hasn't shipped yet. The amazon rep stated it was sold out and wouldn't arrive until another week so I cancelled the order. So now I'm looking for recommendations for a decent case to protect my new Fire 10. It doesn't have to be a case specifically made for the Fire 10 either. I used a universal case by Targus for my fire 7 for years and didn't mind. Since I plan on using bluetooth speakers it wouldn't matter if the universal case covers the speaker or camera lens since it's not going to be used to take pictures. However, a recommended case custom made for the Fire 10 would also be welcome.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #38
stumped
Wizard

I am using the Amazon case I saved when I sold my 2017 model.
You may be able to get a 2017 case for much less than a 2019 case.

A lot depends on how much protection you need.e.g. with my Lenovo yoga tab it's an awkward shape and there were no really good cases on offer so I store it face down on a padded shelf when charging or not in use. That works for me as it does not leave the house. Another option is a simple sleeve to slip it into when not in use.. I had a simple zipped padded 7 inch generic sleeve thing which I used for a paperwhite on the rare occasions I wanted to take it somewhere, and untagged it to read on.
If you are the sole user and you are not accident prone then will you even need a case?.
For sure, you can find very cheap generic 10 inch cases on eBay , if covering ports is not an issue, and you can always cut out a bit for access to anything essential, like the charging port. The crazy cheap ones often ship from China and take a month to arrive but they are crazy cheap.

Last edited by stumped; 12-08-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #39
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've got a crazy cheap shell coming from China. I just want something so it's not as slippery. It's going to be a good wait for it to arrive. That's ok.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #40
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I went ahead and got the amazon case at best buy at regular price. Now, I need to decide if I want to put a screen protector on the tablet.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #41
rlyhk
rlyhk began at the beginning.

Device: Fire Kindle 10
Fire 10 compatibility with Windows 10 ??

Hi,

I just bought a new Fire 10 - 64 GB, and could not get it work with my new Dell PC ( windows 10 ). It shows up as Fire, but no files shown; and cannot transfer books from PC. My old Fire 8 ( which I lost ) had no problem.

Any advice, or is this the correct forum for this question ?
Thanks,
Raymond
rlyhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #42
stumped
Wizard

look for the connection menu- probably it has defaulted to connect for charging, and you want to connect for data transfer,
the setting is in a pull down/drop down on the device and has to be set each time you connect
it is easily missed if you are not expecting it
it is a " feature" of the newer fire OS so it did not happen with your older device
Old 01-05-2020, 05:12 AM   #43
Nutty
Nutty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 10 (newest)
calibre not seeing new fire 10

I have tried everything, win 10 can see it but calibre cannot. I got this from debug
calibre 4.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: en_GB
USB devices on system:
(USBDevice(vendor_id=0x93a product_id=0x2516 bcd=0x100 devid=usb\vid_093a&pid_2516&rev_0100 devinst=1),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub30&vid8086&pid1e31&rev0004 devinst=2),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x489 product_id=0xe056 bcd=0x1 devid=usb\vid_0489&pid_e056&rev_0001 devinst=3),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid1e26&rev0004 devinst=4),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x1949 product_id=0x3f1 bcd=0x223 devid=usb\vid_1949&pid_03f1&rev_0223 devinst=11),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x4f2 product_id=0xb33b bcd=0x7412 devid=usb\vid_04f2&pid_b33b&rev_7412 devinst=5),
USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid1e2d&rev0004 devinst=6),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x24 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0024&rev_0000 devinst=7),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0xbda product_id=0x129 bcd=0x3960 devid=usb\vid_0bda&pid_0129&rev_3960 devinst=8),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x4f2 product_id=0xb33b bcd=0x7412 devid=usb\vid_04f2&pid_b33b&rev_7412&mi_00 devinst=9),
USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x24 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0024&rev_0000 devinst=10))

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\usb#vid_1949&pid_03f1#g0012d0594541w4c#{6 ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
MTP device: \\?\usb#vid_1949&pid_03f1#g0012d0594541w4c#{6ac278 78-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}
{'device_version': u'1.0',
'friendly_name': u'',
'has_bulk_properties': True,
'has_storage': True,
'manufacturer_name': u'Amazon',
'model_name': u'Fire',
'protocol': u'MTP: 1.00',
'serial_number': u'G0012D0594541W4C',
'storage': [],
'type': 'unknown'}
Not a suitable MTP device, ignoring

No suitable MTP devices found

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {u'{DE4E1E41-A757-11E9-8B60-806E6F6E6963}': [{'netmask': u'255.0.0.0', 'addr': u'127.0.0.1', 'broadcast': u'127.255.255.255'}], u'{B529418D-F4E5-465B-8BAE-426C3E6C4493}': [{'netmask': u'255.255.255.0', 'addr': u'192.168.1.4', 'broadcast': u'192.168.1.255'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:59 AM   #44
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
I have tried everything, win 10 can see it but calibre cannot. I got this from debug..
does windows see it AS A STORAGE DEVICE? i.e. something with a drive letter you can click on and view internal storage.

if not then you have not followed previous instructions to find and use the fire's usb connection menu

a screengrab of how windows sees it will help

if it's there as a storage device in windows then you can sideload books
Old 01-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #45
Nutty
Nutty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 10 (newest)
it just shows as fire, no folders at all
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote