Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
And I don't agree that one doesn't need to read fiction slowly, it all depends on the book: some prose demands to be savored, just like a good meal (I like cooking for others).
Who said it doesn't need to be? There's only been suggestions that much of it doesn't HAVE to be read slowly.

For me, there's really only two reasons I might slow down when reading fiction:
1) The author is what I call a "wordsmith." The writing flows naturally and it feels like I need to approach it with a more languid mindset.
2) The writing is so stilted or awkward (or pretentiously difficult) that I need to slow down (or re-read) for comprehension purposes.

#1 is a fairly common occurrence that causes me no grief or discomfort. In fact, I sometimes don't even notice I'm doing it. It's only a slight slowing of my typical reading speed. #2 is just plain annoying and I won't voluntarily tolerate it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #62
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So you skim descriptions, action sequences and characters. You must blast through a book!
I don't think I said anything about skimming characters? I just skim lists where the main character in a mystery is basically summarizing what they already know about the potential suspects. I assume writers do this for the benefit of people who read one book over a two-week period and might have forgotten some things that happened earlier in the book. I usually read books in a big chunk of time (a few hours in a row on an evening or weekend) so it's still fresh in my mind and I don't need the reminder.

My favorite type of book to read is moderately cozy-to-medium (not hardcore thriller) mysteries. These books usually have only the occasional fight/chase scene so I'm not skipping much there.

An example of the kind of descriptive passages I skip - the first time I read one of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware mysteries, the character was driving somewhere and all the neighborhoods and scenery he passed were described in detail. Given that this was a mystery, I thought maybe there was a clue hidden there so I carefully read it all. However, I came to realize Kellerman apparently just likes to write travelogs - whenever the character drives anywhere outside his local area there are descriptions of whatever he passes. If I'm not in the mood for this I skip it.

Last edited by 4691mls; 04-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
the first time I read one of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware mysteries, the character was driving somewhere and all the neighborhoods and scenery he passed were described in detail. Given that this was a mystery, I thought maybe there was a clue hidden there so I carefully read it all. However, I came to realize Kellerman apparently just likes to write travelogs - whenever the character drives anywhere outside his local area there are descriptions of whatever he passes. If I'm not in the mood for this I skip it.
I skim descriptive passages about architecture and clothing/fashion, myself. The jargon/argot for both is meaningless to me, and I've zero desire to become versed in either.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I skim descriptive passages about architecture and clothing/fashion, myself. The jargon/argot for both is meaningless to me, and I've zero desire to become versed in either.
When I started Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books, the friend who forced me to read them recommended them to me suggested that I let all the sailing minutiae wash over me, so to speak. It was good advice. Over time, I have a better idea of what's going on, but I didn't get bogged down in it at the beginning to the detriment of my appreciation for those wonderful books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When I started Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books, the friend who forced me to read them recommended them to me suggested that I let all the sailing minutiae wash over me, so to speak. It was good advice. Over time, I have a better idea of what's going on, but I didn't get bogged down in it at the beginning to the detriment of my appreciation for those wonderful books.
Now see, I like sailing minutiae, myself.

But I get what you mean. Just because you let portions "wash over you," (great description, by the way) doesn't mean you don't pick up bits of it here and there--enough to get by, anyway. And it certainly doesn't mean someone who skims a bit here and there is "shortchanging" the experience in any way. You don't have to savor every single word of a book in order to love it.

I'm never going to love architecture-speak. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a cool looking building when I see one. Nor that I can't love an author who tends to dwell a little too much on describing buildings. Skimming isn't skipping. I get the gist of what I skim. I just find little value in describing what a building looks like in exacting detail. Same with describing what every new character we meet is wearing in detail.
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #66
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm just over 2 books a week. I'm retired and a caregiver. I'd actually read or listen to more books, but I have too many interruptions and do occasionally listen to music and watch Netflix. I like to save long books for projects. As much as I enjoy needlework, I need something more than music for endless rows of plain knitting or straight sewing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #67
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Sometimes when I read the posts in threads like this I think of the Lake Wobegon Effect. Even if, by the nature of the site, results skew a bit to reading slightly faster than average, I have my doubts that the mean reading speed here is significantly faster than that of other literate people, even given a few outliers. There are always going to be a few outliers, emphasis on the few.

Speaking of myself, I couldn't begin to say how fast I read and as has been said above, my reading speed varies widely with conditions anyway. And what difference does it make anyway?

It seems to me the point of these threads is about finding/making time to read and developing strategies in aid of that. Otherwise, I find there's a competitive edge that makes me uncomfortable. We say it's not a contest, but it apparently is. However, the only contest should be against yourself and your goals, if you care to think of it that way. Or just read.

Carry on. But the first time someone claims he started reading in utero, I'm going to call foul.
I think at least for me sometimes I get a wee bit defensive. This isn't against the OP here, but I have gotten comments from folks about how I must not have anything to do, no work, no friends, nobody since I read so much. Maybe part of that is because I read a lot of romance and it tends to get such comments online or even in person. You know, sitting around all day surrounded by cats eating bon bons while reading romance.

So maybe at times its more of a defending ones reading. Not sure why I feel the need. I don't feel any kind of contest of competition with anyone. I am the least competitive person I know, I don't really care how much or little anyone else reads.

I usually try to talk to those folks when I get a wee bit defensive what their hobbies are and now then imagining not doing some of those and reading instead. So they can understand why its not impossible to read a lot when ones priorities and off times are different.

I wonder about reading speeds. I think I read fairly fast, but I think its also more of a matter reading longer session and being into a book more. Pages seem to fly faster that why, then when there are constant distractions. I read while I cook and I know that it takes me longer to read a section there than if I just sat down even for 20 minutes straight. Because I keep having to stop and start while stirring something. I don't read while chopping . But there is always some minutes here and there while something has to do its thing.
But when I can just read a longer chunk with no disturbance, even if its just 10-20 minutes, I can get a lot more pages read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't read while chopping .
Oh, you mean Extreme Reading? It could catch on, especially if you need cool, new kit to do it
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #69
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't understand why so many skip or skim descriptions of scenery or places. For me, a strong sense of place is important in order to become immersed in a book. I especially like writers who write descriptions using all the senses, so I know what a place looks like, smells like, feels like, sounds like, yes even tastes like. (At the moment I keep reading about the salty taste of the sea.)

By the way, I wasn't refering to 'recall' when I mentioned comprehension. I mean a full feeling of the nuances of the author's meanings, as well as the plot and character. For example, this afternoon, while sitting on my sofa reading, I came across this passage in Frenchman's Creek:

"And somewhere too there is a Dona of tomorrow ... to whom all this will be a thing to cherish ... to remember. Much will be forgotten then, perhaps, the sound of the tide on the mud-flats, the dark sky, the dark water, the shiver of the trees behind us and the shadows they cast before them, and the smell of the young bracken and the moss. Even the things we said will be forgotten, the touch of hands, the warmth, the loveliness, but never the peace that we have given to each other, never the stillness and the silence."

At this, I laid aside my kindle, looked out of the French window at the birds playing in some trees in my garden and thought about things I remember and forget. I mused for about ten minutes before continuing to read. This often happens while I'm reading - I'll stop and consider a passage, turn over the ideas in my mind. They often get highlighted on my Paperwhite, with a short note beside it.

I had no intention of beginning a reading version of Python's "The Four Yorkshireman" when I made the original post. I'd been watching book review videos on youtube (my biggest time suck) in which individuals reviewed many books a month. I couldn't help wondering if they had a secret store of time to which only certain people had access (a bit like Platform 9 3/4).

Last edited by BookCat; 04-25-2018 at 05:48 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't understand why so many skip or skim descriptions of scenery or places.
Simple. Not all readers want the same things from books/stories that you do. It's not that hard to figure out.

Quote:
For me, a strong sense of place is important for me to be immersed in a book. I especially like writers who write descriptions using all the senses, so I know what a place looks like, smells like, feels like, sounds like, yes even tastes like. (At the moment I keep reading about the salty taste of the sea.)
Again: skim does not equal skip. Not sure why people want to equate the two. Skimming does not mean a reader still can't achieve a strong sense of place. It just means that some people can do so without feeling the need to savor every single word of every sentence. I'm perfectly capable of picking up the concept/effect/feeling an author is after by glossing quickly over long descriptive passages. There's only so much "the sky was blue / the grass was green / there was a tang of salt in the air" that I need to get the full picture. Dialogue and plot is what I typically get immersed in. Not narration. I can appreciate good prose: just not at the expense of dialogue/plot.

And if there's prose worth slowing for in any of those long descriptive passages, then I've probably already noticed and have slowed my roll accordingly. I read in many "gears." Skim is just one of the higher ones. I know when to downshift.

Some people need to accept that savoring every syllable is not the default, nor the proper way to enjoy reading. It's merely A way to do so. There are many, many others.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #71
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
It seems to me the point of these threads is about finding/making time to read and developing strategies in aid of that. Otherwise, I find there's a competitive edge that makes me uncomfortable. We say it's not a contest, but it apparently is. However, the only contest should be against yourself and your goals, if you care to think of it that way. Or just read.
Yep, I also think the main point is to get ideas from other people, but it can be competitive too... Competitive against your ToBeRead pile 😂 The only time I get anxious about my reading speed is when I take a look at all the books I have in my TBR list, knowing that there are a lot more books I also want to read and I haven't added, and then there are the books I want to re-read... Oh! I'm getting itchy again...
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don't understand why so many skip or skim descriptions of scenery or places. For me, a strong sense of place is important in order to become immersed in a book. I especially like writers who write descriptions using all the senses, so I know what a place looks like, smells like, feels like, sounds like, yes even tastes like. (At the moment I keep reading about the salty taste of the sea.
For me, I am not reading fiction to enjoy a return to the 19th century and the style of writing where every rivet in the blasted boiler was described. One recent book I read mentioned a building was a Cape Cod style. That, for me, was enough to draw a picture. I did not need 10 more paragraphs describing the colours of the house, roof and door, the stain used on the shutters, the condition of the lawn, etc. Edward Bulwer-Lytton would have been proud of the prose, none of which was relevant to the remainder of the book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #73
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I think at least for me sometimes I get a wee bit defensive. This isn't against the OP here, but I have gotten comments from folks about how I must not have anything to do, no work, no friends, nobody since I read so much. Maybe part of that is because I read a lot of romance and it tends to get such comments online or even in person. You know, sitting around all day surrounded by cats eating bon bons while reading romance.
to do its thing.
Probably those comments are from people who wish they could sit around reading and eating bonbons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
....One recent book I read mentioned a building was a Cape Cod style. That, for me, was enough to draw a picture. I did not need 10 more paragraphs describing the colours of the house, roof and door, the stain used on the shutters, the condition of the lawn, etc.
Yes - there can be such a thing as too much detail whether it be about houses, clothing, scenery, whatever.

When a character is first introduced, being told whether he dresses impeccably in the latest expensive designer fashions or wears mismatched worn-out old clothes is enough information for me - if the author starts listing designer names I will skim over those. After I've met a character once I don't need a detailed description of their clothing next time they appear unless there is some significance to it (for example, a usually tidy person turns up messy due to having been in an accident).

The good thing about reading fiction purely for your own enjoyment is you can choose for yourself what type of book to read and whether to savor every word or skim over passages that don't interest you. I typically read mysteries that focus more on actions and motivations and so I skim (not skip) over the often pedestrian descriptions of people and their surroundings in these books. On the other hand, it sounds like BookCat derives great satisfaction from pondering over an evocative description and probably tends to choose thought-provoking literature. Therefore, comparison of our reading speeds would be meaningless.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #74
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Basically just one word at a time. Choosing something you find hard to put down helps of course. And I take my kindle with me when I go out. I understand when Stephen Hawking was a kid visitors to the house would find that at the dinner table every family member would have a fork in one hand and a book in the other.With me it's my kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 AM   #75
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
Yep, I also think the main point is to get ideas from other people, but it can be competitive too... Competitive against your ToBeRead pile 😂 The only time I get anxious about my reading speed is when I take a look at all the books I have in my TBR list, knowing that there are a lot more books I also want to read and I haven't added, and then there are the books I want to re-read... Oh! I'm getting itchy again...
I'm the opposite, I'm reassured by the size of my TBR file (which includes TBRR for me = to be reread), of my library in Calibre (9000 + items) and in my kobos (3700 in the 8 MB devices), to know I'll always have something I feel like reading or rereading. I remember going on holidays and mailing boxes of books to the place I was going, and still finding myself reading books I didn't like because there was nothing else - especially if it was pouring for days on end and I couldn't go hiking. And I remember fearing having to give up my library when I would have to go to a retirement home.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookworm, reading lots