Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #46
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Yes, they are ordered from most recent to oldest.
I think it only shows the last 500, but of course if we're talking about newish members that is unlikely to be a problem unless they are, as is sometimes said, "remarkably loquacious".
Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #47
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Yes, they are ordered from most recent to oldest.

Edit-- but it looks like it shows only the most recent 500.
o.i.c. but it is, as someone already remarked, an awful lot of work for troll hunting. if someone shows up in the lounge with 0-10 post under their belt and starts stirring the pot, then I firmly believe it is time for the double aught to be let loose.

I STILL think the waiting period is worth cussing and discussing
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #48
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Okay, apparently I missed the whole darn thing. Which, depending on your viewpoint, could be a good thing.
My .02 here (and that's about what it's worth, too), is that I simply stay out of threads that are likely to become heated. I love the Llounge (it's where I spend the vast majority of my time on MR); but I hop between four or five longstanding threads.

IMHO - trolls are relatively easy to recognize, due to their inflammatory comments and low post numbers. Where you run into problems, as someone already said, is when it's a longstanding member voicing an opinion that someone just hit their hot button on with a particular topic/thread.

The more disturbing trend, to me, lately, has been the squabbling between longstanding members in the Llounge. I have no idea what's going on, one of the reasons I love this place is that most of you are even more crazy than I am, but at the same time, there are LOTS of things, even in the Lounge that go right over my head. And the craziness doesn't make it easy to tell when a line has been crossed. I'm not by any means suggesting that the craziness should abate (or abite, as the case may be), but what I'm saying is that for some reason everyone seems to be on really short fuses lately, and maybe ALL of us (including me) should stop and take a breath before we type. Yes, that takes some of the fun out of the Lounge, where the favorite game is "see if you can keep up", but it might also stop some of the more disturbing (in my opinion) disagreements.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #49
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Kindlekitten.

I have and will have a hard time reporting personal attacks ON me. I think I only did it once I perceived it to be an issue in an ongoing argument. on the other hand if someone is being a jerk to someone else I have more of a tendency to report it or at least say something myself. I come from a culture of that's "tattling" when it is done to me, and if you can't stick up for yourself, you have no business being at the party

Which is exactly why I never went running to 'tattle'! But, having said that, nobody should have to 'man up' before putting ideas in a chatroom.....ever.
The culture that I was brought up in, and which I instilled in my children, is not one of of confrontationist, rudeness, nor of bullying.

Not all members of MR are adults I should imagine. Kids also have Kindles
etc. I am talking about teenagers, who find this site for a learning process in ebooks; as we do.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #50
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Okay, apparently I missed the whole darn thing. Which, depending on your viewpoint, could be a good thing.
My .02 here (and that's about what it's worth, too), is that I simply stay out of threads that are likely to become heated. I love the Llounge (it's where I spend the vast majority of my time on MR); but I hop between four or five longstanding threads.

IMHO - trolls are relatively easy to recognize, due to their inflammatory comments and low post numbers. Where you run into problems, as someone already said, is when it's a longstanding member voicing an opinion that someone just hit their hot button on with a particular topic/thread.

The more disturbing trend, to me, lately, has been the squabbling between longstanding members in the Llounge. I have no idea what's going on, one of the reasons I love this place is that most of you are even more crazy than I am, but at the same time, there are LOTS of things, even in the Lounge that go right over my head. And the craziness doesn't make it easy to tell when a line has been crossed. I'm not by any means suggesting that the craziness should abate (or abite, as the case may be), but what I'm saying is that for some reason everyone seems to be on really short fuses lately, and maybe ALL of us (including me) should stop and take a breath before we type. Yes, that takes some of the fun out of the Lounge, where the favorite game is "see if you can keep up", but it might also stop some of the more disturbing (in my opinion) disagreements.
I LOVE being able to discuss things, even if they get somewhat heated. especially here I enjoy it as being a site dedicated to reading there is a higher level of learning, whether, self or formal than is found on many other boards. I'd really like to see discussions "other than ebooks" continue to work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Kindlekitten.
I have and will have a hard time reporting personal attacks ON me. I think I only did it once I perceived it to be an issue in an ongoing argument. on the other hand if someone is being a jerk to someone else I have more of a tendency to report it or at least say something myself. I come from a culture of that's "tattling" when it is done to me, and if you can't stick up for yourself, you have no business being at the party

Which is exactly why I never went running to 'tattle'! But, having said that, nobody should have to 'man up' before putting ideas in a chatroom.....ever.
The culture that I was brought up in, and which I instilled in my children, is not one of of confrontationist, rudeness, nor of bullying.

Not all members of MR are adults I should imagine. Kids also have Kindles
etc. I am talking about teenagers, who find this site for a learning process in ebooks; as we do.
I'm not sure "man up" is what I said or meant. it is more like if you have an opinion, or belief and feel you need/want to share it with others, then be prepared to stand by said opinion or belief. or when necessary, give the appropriate mea-culpas and shoulder your new found position.
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #51
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I LOVE being able to discuss things, even if they get somewhat heated. especially here I enjoy it as being a site dedicated to reading there is a higher level of learning, whether, self or formal than is found on many other boards. I'd really like to see discussions "other than ebooks" continue to work here.

I'm not sure "man up" is what I said or meant. it is more like if you have an opinion, or belief and feel you need/want to share it with others, then be prepared to stand by said opinion or belief. or when necessary, give the appropriate mea-culpas and shoulder your new found position.

I already have given my position on the subject.

I don't have any mea-culpas as I am not guilty of anything.

Goodbye.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #52
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

I STILL think the waiting period is worth cussing and discussing
Absolutely! In my case, my current disagreement with it is just my own opinion and perceptions. It's not something fixed. I'm here because I am waiting for more discussion.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #53
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

I already have given my position on the subject.

I don't have any mea-culpas as I am not guilty of anything.

Goodbye.
I was talking about my personal feelings about how I approach these issues. I was not insinuating that it be your handbook
Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #54
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Take the opportunity to debate out of the llounge and the place would become sterile. Trolling is not going to go away, and I appear to have missed some of the recent mess, except in a few instances.

Debates that deliberately inflame seem mostly to be those that have an injection of feeling from someone who holds a point of view that will change no matter what - and then deliberately attempts to force that point of view onto others. And it is not only religion/politics - even the name of ereaders can provoke immense passions by some.

I don't really think that closing threads solves the problem, cos (as already mentioned) it allows the trolls permission to succeed again somewhere else or perhaps under other names. However the ability to remove offending posts (by the "Star Chamber") would allow the debate to continue in a civil and rewarding manner, which is a more preferable solution.

There are, also, a few issues that bring even the long-time members and even mods to 'cross the line' - just shows how human most of us are.

I suggested a subscription system which does not appear to have found favour (If we can afford the prices charged for readers and ebooks, many of us will have a few bob in our pockets for a nominal charge) although this would depend upon how successful this would be as a deterrent; and I accept that it is likely a-non starter.

A few other forums, I have been on in the past, have had a system whereby posts are actively moderated for the first (say) 20 posts from a new member. Does this have any mileage in mobileread - it should deter some of the spam and some of the newbies who arrive just to stir. It would, unfortunately, increase the work of mods; but then again perhaps not, because if the spam is caught before the post is published ?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #55
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Thank you KK for bringing up the discussion with force.

I have thought awhile before having my say and if, being so young on MR and not so young outside. Of this "violence" I have seen many cases, since long time, being of a trade that is often in the middle of it.

I have come to the conclusion that any action of who manages/rules that is extraordinary to the set rules is invariably counterproductive. Also, that the best attitude toward these forms of "violence" is detachment. It helps that they are just verbal and between virtual entities.

The set rules allow what we please: freedom of subjects invokes responsibility. I find Poohbear's post useful in this respect.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #56
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
But... I started in the Llounge! And then found out there were other areas...

(ok, I didn't start in the Llounge, but in the wiki...)
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #57
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I was wondering, in regards to the "ignore" facility, what if you had the opposite as well where in you can no longer be seen by the offending person, if a lot of people start becoming invisible to the troll the troll will become rather lonely.

This sort of facility would have been gainful earlier this week ( though I must kindly thank the mods for resolving that event ).

Regards,
Paul.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #58
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
That, surely will only work if one is really sure who the troll is - and no - it's not always obvious !
Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #59
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
While that's true it may well still provide a layer if abuse-isolation for different situations (such as personal attacks). Certainly there's no single 'quick fix', though we may find with a couple more tools at hand things could become more managable without having to harass the mods beyond normal levels.

Paul.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #60
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Seriously, had any restriction be imposed to new users when i came in, maybe I wouldn't be there right now. Would have read the few topics to get the info I needed, and go away without posting...
Closed Thread