Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
tandyjames
tandyjames began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Large fonts / bold fonts for Kindle DX International

My Grandmother just got a Kindle DX (it is the International version) and she NEEDS larger fonts.

Someone named TedSans looks to have created a few fonts which sound perfect... but I can't get them loaded on her device.
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...kindlev23fonts

Does anyone know how to convert these for use with the DXi? Does anyone know how to contact TedSans and see if he could update the files on his site? My Grandmother would very much appreciate it (reading is her main hobby, but she just recently needs larger fonts than large print books).

Thanks,
T.J.
tandyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
I use it on my Kindle 2 (international version).

Have both the "letter.bin" and the "uninstall.bin" on a safe directory on your computer.

Attach your DX via USB cable. Open your Kindle (mimmics as an USB mass storage) and copy the "letter.bin" to the root of it. Safely eject it and then go thought Menu> Settings >Menu >Update your Kindle.

Your Kindle will reboot and your new font will display. Should you reverse the process simply do the same process with the "uninstall.bin".

Hope that helps.If anyone could explain the process in a better English, please be my guest.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
I think you'll have better informations here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...om_Blog_Kindle
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
tandyjames
tandyjames began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Thanks jglerner for looking into this for me... but...

The url I sent only (for kindle 2.3) only has the fonts packaged for kindle 2, kindle 2 international, and Kindle DX... it does not YET have the package for Kindle DX international (which is the only DX that Amazon sells now).

The link you sent explains everything (which I think I understand), but does NOT have any links to large fonts packaged for the DX international. There are some fonts for the DXi, but they are unicode (for foreign languages) rather than large.

Anyone else know how to get a hold of TedSan?
tandyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Excellent thread!

I am about to buy an iPad so my Kindle DX will be heading into the hands of my grandfather who has poor eyesight. Thanks for the info.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
I'm also very interested in those bold fonts for my kindle dxi. Any one knows where to download the repackaged fonts for the dxi?
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote