Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #46
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's, "Pahk the cahr in Hahvahd Yahd."
I stand corrected.. It has been a long time since I live on the East Coast (we spoke Joisey).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #47
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
In the New York Metro, New England, SoCal, and Maryland-to-Virginia areas, I've often heard people use the contraction " 'll ", as in: "it'll be ready in five minutes," "the heater'll warm up soon," or "this one'll do the trick". Brylcreem memorialized the contraction with their iconic ad campaign slogan: "A little dab'll do ya."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I always enjoy the random sticking in of 'R' in words by people from different areas. My mother in law is from Long Island, NY. So any word that ends with an A has a R stuck at the end. So Linder instead of Linda, Donner instead of Donna. Then in upper east Tennessee, where I'm from, we stick random R's in the middle of words. Like warsh instead of wash.
I can't imagine how hard all these different ways of speaking would be for authors to get just right! The amount of southern accent we have where I'm from can change within just a few miles area. And we don't sound like a Georgia Peach either, totally different accent.
S
Take it from this native Long Islander - your mother-in-law's speech pattern is not typical of either Long Island or of the NY Metro area, although (in my various wanderings) I have encountered people who speak that way and wondered where they picked it up. I wonder where HER parents are from.

Last edited by Froide; 03-22-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #48
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
From New England here and I definitely do the "I will" as "I'll". Now that you've mentioned this, I also find that I do this more than I was aware.

And that coffee one? I say that ALL the time...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #49
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
I always enjoy the random sticking in of 'R' in words by people from different areas. My mother in law is from Long Island, NY. So any word that ends with an A has a R stuck at the end. So Linder instead of Linda, Donner instead of Donna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Take it from this native Long Islander - your mother-in-law's speech pattern is not typical of either Long Island or of the NY Metro area, although (in my various wanderings) I have encountered people who speak that way and wondered where they picked it up. I wonder where HER parents are from.
Perhaps northern New England? I'm from Maine and grew up hearing people adding Rs at the end of words that end with an A; however, that usually only occurs when the word ending in A is followed by a word that starts with a vowel. So we'd say "I talked to Donna" but add the R when saying something like "Donner and I talked."
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #50
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
In the New York Metro, New England, SoCal, and Maryland-to-Virginia areas, I've often heard people use the contraction " 'll ", as in: "it'll be ready in five minutes," "the heater'll warm up soon," or "this one'll do the trick". Brylcreem memorialized the contraction with their iconic ad campaign slogan: "A little dab'll do ya."

Ok, just to make sure I had my facts correct I waited till my husband came home to double check. My mother in law was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Her parents were also born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. When she and my father in law (who was also born and raised in Brooklyn) married in 1956 they moved to East Northport, Long Island. My husband was born and raised on Long Island.
If you listen to Billy Joel's song Scenes from and Italian Restaurant he says Brender and Eddie as opposed to Brenda. He is from Oyster Bay Long Island.
We have many Long Island transplant in Charlotte. Almost every one of them add an R to the end of a name ending in a vowel. I think I am very sensitive to this because my name ends in an A.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ok, just to make sure I had my facts correct I waited till my husband came home to double check. My mother in law was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Her parents were also born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. When she and my father in law (who was also born and raised in Brooklyn) married in 1956 they moved to East Northport, Long Island. My husband was born and raised on Long Island.
If you listen to Billy Joel's song Scenes from and Italian Restaurant he says Brender and Eddie as opposed to Brenda. He is from Oyster Bay Long Island.
We have many Long Island transplant in Charlotte. Almost every one of them add an R to the end of a name ending in a vowel. I think I am very sensitive to this because my name ends in an A.
S
Listening to ... Italian Restaurant, I'm hearing Brenda. Anyone else?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #52
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Listening to ... Italian Restaurant, I'm hearing Brenda. Anyone else?
I hear Brender, but only in phrases with "Brender and Eddie ...".
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote