Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Smile :D Happy Customer Service Experience

I've had my nook Color since November '11, when I upgraded from my original nook. I've been very satisfied, except for the somewhat flawed propriatory USB cable.
Late last night, or early this morning, I read until the battery was completely drained (a common occurance). I plugged it to the computer so it could charge & be ready for the calibre news files.
To my dismay, the nook had a black screen & was non-responsive in the morning. My computer did not show the removable drives. I had to (shudder) read from a printed book. My humiliation knew no bounds.
When I go home from work, I reluctantly called B&N tech. support, navigated the phone menu, waited a very short time (2-3 minutes) and got to speak to Kirby.
Kirby got my account information --I cannot read the serial number, in fact one feature I love about eReaders in general is being able to increase the font size at will-- and quickly fixed the problem by having my do a forced power-down (hold the power button for 15 full seconds) and power-up.
It seems android is not ammune to file conflicts.
That's my happy custumer service report. Quick, friendly, professional customer service is a heck of a good feature for any product, nez pas?
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
[QUOTE=Poppa1956;2154362] I plugged it to the computer so it could charge & be ready for the calibre news files.
QUOTE]
You charge your Nook Color from your computer?
Barnes and Noble claims you can not charge the Nook Color from your computer.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I charge my Nook Tablet (which uses the same USB charging cable as the NC) from my PC most of the time, the charging seems to take longer but refills the battery just the same.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
[QUOTE=Apache;2155318][QUOTE=Poppa1956;2154362] I plugged it to the computer so it could charge & be ready for the calibre news files.
Quote:
Apache
They may claim that (I know they used to), but it isn't true. The reason they discourage it is that the computer only puts out the specified amount of power through a USB cable, where the wall charger puts out more, and therefore charges it faster. (If you compare the cable end that goes in to the device, you'll find it's longer than the standard ones, to make a connection to the charging circuit that handles the higher amount of power.)

I believe the device will also claim to not be charging in terms of the light on the cable end and the batter indicator. But it will charge, eventually.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
[QUOTE=taustin;2155748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
They may claim that (I know they used to), but it isn't true. The reason they discourage it is that the computer only puts out the specified amount of power through a USB cable, where the wall charger puts out more, and therefore charges it faster. (If you compare the cable end that goes in to the device, you'll find it's longer than the standard ones, to make a connection to the charging circuit that handles the higher amount of power.)

I believe the device will also claim to not be charging in terms of the light on the cable end and the batter indicator. But it will charge, eventually.
You have to have the screen off, too (since the NC apparently pulls more than a half an amp - USB spec - with the screen on). With the screen off it will trickle-charge.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Good thing it wasn't a book issue. Like buying a book you thought was in English but it was in spanish and the website doesn't state it. Then you start to see how bad B&N really is. There consumer policy is bad, even when it's not your fault.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
[QUOTE=Apache;2155318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I plugged it to the computer so it could charge & be ready for the calibre news files.
QUOTE]
Apache
Yes I charge my NC via my PC? It is a much slower charging process, taking 5-1/2 to 6 hours to fully charge, but since I am likely to be sleeping during the process I don't mind the wait.
When I'm having a restless night, I will eject the nook drives fron the computer and leave it plugged in while I read. It doesn'charge then but it doesn't DIScharge either. Doing that does mess with calibre though.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote