Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
calmansi
calmansi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question .epub works in FF epub reader but not on Android device

Hi,

I used Sigil 5.2 to make an epub file, importing the downloaded http://ia600200.us.archive.org/20/it..._sleep_03.html file.

The resulting .epub file - downloadable from http://almansi.wikispaces.com/epub - works with the epub reader addon to Firefox, but not on my Samsung Galaxy tablet (with Android 3.2).

Could someone please explain why and how I can fix the issue?

Thank you in advance.

Claude
calmansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Do the following in Sigil:

Search for:
Code:
<h3
replace it with:
Code:
<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /><h3
Then select Split at Chapter Markers from the Edit menu and regenerate the TOC.

BTW, the ePub also contains a couple of syntax errors. Click the green check mark to search for them.

Most readers have limited memory and cannot open ePubs that consist of single large page. It's best to test ePubs with ADE instead of the FF extension, which is more forgiving.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your ePub does not follow the mobile ADE standard and that is why it doesn't work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
calmansi

Thank you for the quick and clear replies, Doitsu and JSWolf!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And don't forget, an ePUB is not the same as HTML. There are differences in rendering, so a web-renderer will display something different compared to a dedicated ePUB-renderer.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
calmansi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
And don't forget, an ePUB is not the same as HTML. There are differences in rendering, so a web-renderer will display something different compared to a dedicated ePUB-renderer.
That's somethiing really immortant and it had escaped me. Re the file I initially mentioned, I don't really need to have it as EPUB: I also made a PDF when I made the initial HTML version (both from an ODT file, if I remember rightly), and the PDF reads well in the android e-book reader. I only made the ePUB to try SIGIL, and only put it online because I was puzzled by its not working and wanted to ask here. All your replies have been most useful, and I'll bear them in mind next time I really need to make an ePUB file.

Thank you all

Claude

Tags
android 3.2, epub error, samsung galaxy