Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
FB2 Wordbreaks

Hi all,

I love the Fb2 format to read my books.. it's the best experience on the V3 so far.. However there is one big annoyance that brings the experience down, and sometimes way down to make it a good experience: Word breaks!
The reader used with V3 seems to have the annoying tendency to break words at odd places without taking gramar into account.
I also expect line breaks and paragraphs not been taken into account properly, but the word breaks really really irritate me.
Are there others with the same experience, is there a workaround, is this limited to specific firmwares??
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Puck2099
Puck2099 began at the beginning.

Device: lBook V3
I have the same problem with Spanish words
Puck2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Yup, the hyphenation patterns used by CoolReader (the application used for reading FB2 files on the V3) are atrociously bad. It should be possible to improve things by creating a folder named "crengine" in the root of the SD-card and put a .pdb file containing better hyphenation patterns into that directory. I'm using English_US_1252_hyphen_(Alan).pdb which torbich linked to in this post, with the language set to "en" in the book, but without much luck:

By my estimate, about one half, but surely at least a third, of all hyphenations are wrong, sometimes stupidly so: the thing loves to hyphenate words one letter before a mid-word dash, thus e.g. hyphenating mid-word as (mi)-(d-word).

F**k this! LaTeX had rather good hyphenation support in the mid 1990's. The patterns were conservative in that they didn't always hyphenate when they theoretically could have, but at least it was exceedingly rare to encounter wrong hyphenation. That problem was solved then, there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be solved now. :-(

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-19-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader uses the TeX approach:
Quote:
Automatic hyphenations. Liang's algorithm is used. The same algorithm is used in TeX, and TeX hyphenation patterns are used in FBReader. Patterns for Czech, English, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Ukrainian are included in the current version.
It is a bit conservative about hyphenation, but you might try FBReader instead of CoolReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote