Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Question The Second Choice?

I did a good deal of research when I chose my first eBook reader, but my wife found my Kindle and now I need one for her. I don't think this is a very critical decision, but I thought I might glean some insight from other more experienced, long-time eBook users that will assist. Let me begin by saying that I don't think there are any 'wrong' choices. Here are the facts:

I live in the U.S.

I own and love my Kindle 3 WiFi only. I prefer to download eBooks into K4PC or Calibre and offload them to the K3, keeping a backup. I cannot think of a situation in which I would ever need or want G3, nor do I anticipate being tempted to 'need' a new release during any time I'm away from my desktop or laptop. I don't often pay first-release prices for new books.

I have extensive computer experience and own a desktop and laptop but none of the little iPads or iPhones or netbooks, nor do I want one.

My reading and that of my wife varies considerably from non-fiction and fiction to classics, new releases, sci-fi -- virtually everything.

I do not plan to read newspapers and magazines on a hand-held device due to inadequate screen size. I handle those on my desktop and laptop.

I do not have library access to eBooks at this time.

My wife would like to take eBooks with her on long backpacking hikes (hence the first Kindle for its battery life)

I have installed and used Calibre to access non-MOBI formats. I also have installed the PC version of readers for Barnes & Noble (Nook) and Borders (Kobo) giving me access to their catalogs in the event Amazon doesn't offer a title or competitive price. In this vein, I 'think' I am able to handle/convert most any format to most any other format. My intent in conversion is simply one of access on my device(s) of choice, as I seldom loan or borrow books.

So the question is what to buy as a second eBook reader? I love the eInk screen. I don't think there is any need for color. I don't plan to use the eReader for anything but text, as I have much better tools for other formats. My inclination is to go with another K3. Anyone see advantages of a different reader or have alternative suggestions?
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
For the price, I don't think you'll do any better for your situation than another K3 Wifi. I have a Nook 3g and a K3 Wifi and they are both great, but I don't see any reason to do anything other than the same K3.
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd get another Kindle; that way, if you register them both to the same Amazon account, you'll be able to share books between them very easily.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The only reason to get something NOT a Kindle is if you wanted to read library books; which require ePub support. Otherwise, just get another K3.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that's kind of the way I think I see it. I do see a lot of fanatics here who own different types of readers, one for each type of format, but I 'think' I can handle any format I need to on the Kindle. I don't collect large batches of books -- only what I can read or maybe what's on special sale -- so converting individual books to MOBI format isn't really a problem, and the DRM shouldn't be an issue for me, either.

The reason I posted the question is because, after all my research, I have never used any of the other popular readers and wasn't sure how the hands-on experience might make a difference, if any.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This is a great group of readers!
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Ownership of multiple ereaders is not necessarily a sign of fanactism. For some of us, they are just really, really cool toys and we want one of each.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Ownership of multiple ereaders is not necessarily a sign of fanactism. For some of us, they are just really, really cool toys and we want one of each.
I resemble that remark...
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

Thanks! I'm not quite THAT fanatical -- yet. Between my Kindle 3, my laptop and my big, fire-breathin' desktop computer, I can handle anything I need. Perhaps fanatics is a bit disrespectful.