Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Metadata - I only want to download Comments

Is there a way, in Calibre (which is generally fantastic!), to download only selected metadata?

In particular, I'd like to only download the Comments (which seem to be the book descriptions).

I've found that when downloading everything, that certain titles are changed, authors are changed, etc (when some piece of metadata has multiple matches perhaps?). Most recently, one of the tiles was changed to include "- Screenplay" and the an aditional author was added (who worked on the screenplay, but not the novel itself).

I use a program called "Extreme Movie Manager" that uses a huge range of available scripts to download metadata based on movie title. Whenever a duplicate or any confusion is present, it asks you to select the appropriate one from options (showing previews as you move through the choices). It is very effective. What is also nice is that you can control, completely (check boxes) which metadata is downloaded as well as indicate whether any current metadata is overwritten or left as is, ignoring newly downloaded info.

Thanks for any suggestions (hopefully pointing me to a nice button to push).
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I know that you mean. What I do is download everything, copy the comments, and then hit cancel so nothing is saved... then I go back and add just the comments to the metadata. Not the easiest way but worls for me
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Do you have to do that one by one? Or can you copy a column?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can download metadata with choices by using the edit metadata dialog
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru

I'll snoop in there - thank you for the quick response! And thank you for such useful software!
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru

Do you mean the "Download Social Metadata (tags/rating/etc.) for the selected book" option? I just found that, but am only able to access it, it seems, when editing books individually. I could be blind - I'm tired tonight.

But I've gone ahead with the stock "download metadata" and I'll tidy up the stuff I don't need after. It's not a big deal. And once it's done, keeping up with the one-two books added won't be a big deal.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
at the bottom of the edit meta information dialog theres a button called fetch metadata
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru

But that seems to fetch EVERYTHING. I just want to fetch one or two categories of metadata.

I just went for it last night, regardless. I had to fix about 10% of the downloaded links. It kept replacing book titles with audiobooks, foreign names/versions, and poluting the author names with the names of narrators etc.

It's fixed now, though, and will be easy to maintain.

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru

I see what you were meaning about the "Edit Data Individually" and "Fetch metadata" areas.

I'd originally not realized that the Edit Data Individually choice could be applied to multiple selections at once, then allowing editing one by one. I'd thought it was only for use when choosing a single book at a time.

Thanks, again, for the help and the great program!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
(Wouldn't this be fixed with Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins, and then unchecking tags/ratings? Or do you not want to download author/ISBN etc either?)
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote