Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #16
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
All that said, Special Offers are not really that bad. Maybe the best course is just leave them as is. They do not interfere with reading eBooks.
True. So far I haven't really found them annoying, but I can see how the extra swipe (and a screen refresh) before I can start reading could become a nuisance.

What does the PW without SO show as a screensaver?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
^do you mean extra swipe with the Kindle cover?
i have the PW with special offers and the kindle cover that automatically puts it to sleep, but when i open it, it goes to the SO screensaver (currently twilight!) how awesome..
i don't want to get rid of it because i want to see what they are all about but it is annoying. no point in getting this special amazon cover then..
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
tannl88
tannl88 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
True. So far I haven't really found them annoying, but I can see how the extra swipe (and a screen refresh) before I can start reading could become a nuisance.

i find it okay, its just a one second delay before i get to my book.
tannl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Martytoof
Enthusiast
Martytoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks to this thread for figuring out why I couldn't unsub from special offers. Not that I necessarily want to just yet, but at least this explains why I don't have the option to.

I wonder whether the option will appear once the PW starts shipping to Canada properly?
Martytoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Radioactive
Radioactive began at the beginning.

Greetings, all! I know this thread is a little old but wanted to reply anyway. The thing about the "+" icon is bogus. There is no plus icon. On the 'Manage Your Devices' page, you'll see the 'Special Offers' heading as the third one over. First will be your Kindle name, then the Kindle email address, then the Special Offers. Clicking on the 'Special Offers' link will bring up a floating menu box asking what you'd like to do. And that's it.

I'm in the US, but my cousin in Germany was seeing exactly the same page I was when she was trying to unsubscribe, so it's not just about US vs. non-US devices (as far as I'm aware - My billing is US based, while hers is German). More like Amazon simply not being clear in their directions. I was very tempted to call Amazon CS but the invariable wait times kept me from it. Instead I drank a couple beers and everything became clear. Anyway I hope this helps if you haven't already figured it out.

As to the screensaver, it now shows up as geometric designs, stills and so forth. I'm told one can edit that also, but I haven't tried that yet. Be well.

Last edited by Radioactive; 01-09-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added content
Radioactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
I really don't see why amazon would limit the choices for people living abroad, especially since so many of the special offers are just offers for US customers... It's very strange. But it seems to coincide with some other aloof or hostile decisions toward international customers by amazon, especially against those who used US adresses when buying their products. I guess their motivation is that they want to have territory control of their products.

Last edited by Koko; 01-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Various patterns of pens and pencils; they're quite attractive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #23
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I contacted Amazon regarding the removal of SO for my soon-to-arrive PW with SO. According to them, I should have no problem going the 'Manage my Kindle' route to unsubscribe from SO. However, if I do encounter a problem, they said I could contact them again and they can do it manually on their end and charge the 20USD to my account. So removing ads for Kindles out of the US really isn't that difficult.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
kanthai
kanthai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Hi, I am also an non-us buyer of Kindle PW. I've tried to unsubscribe but got the same problem, no "edit" button. After changing my country settings in "Manage my kindle" page to US, the "edit" button become available. Hopes this help.

Kan
kanthai is offline   Reply With Quote