Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Link to an on-device book?

I've been doing some reading through the various forums looking for the post about Kindle file extensions. I found out that I'm not alone in keeping a text file with a list of series so that I know which book follows which. Right now, it's just simple text file, but I've been wondering for a while if it would be possible to use HTML and have the titles in the file link to the books that are on the Kindle. Thus, I could open Series, scan down to Tarzan, and just click on Tarzan and the Golden Lion rather than click Home, scan for the collection and then scan down to the individual book. Does anyone know if this is even possible and if it is, what the syntax might be?

As always, thanks for reading and for your help.
Andy
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Don't know how to do it, but it would be a nifty feature as I keep a list of what I've read, and various TBR titles in a homespun 'book' on my PW.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I guess if you know the exact file extension, you would use something like this, no?
<a href="FileNameOfBook.mobi">Book title</a>
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I don't think that'll work, because books are supposed to be self-contained, but yeah, give it a try. You could also try using "/MyBook.mobi" and "/mnt/us/documents/MyBook.mobi" - but again, I doubt that it works.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, since even the experts don't know whether or not it's possible, we resort to the time honored method of trial&error. I think the error here is that neither htm nor html is recognized by the Kindle. (Kindle Touch SO) Do I need to convert it to a mobi to have it show up in the book list?

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, you do.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can't link from one book to another book. Can't remember where or when I saw it, but that was actively clamped down on early in the transition from mobipocket to Kindle, I believe.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict

(sigh) Well, THAT's a disappointment! I'd almost rather struggle along trying different things, thinking I was just getting the syntax wrong or the path or something.

I had plans of adding a link to book 2 at the end of book 1, and...maybe links to all the earlier ones, so if you innocently opened book 4 of a series you'd never read, you could go directly to book 1... The possibilities are... non-existent. (sigh (again)) ;-)

Thanks for the information, even if I didn't like it.