Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
lonelyphoenix7
lonelyphoenix7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Selling PRS-505, Nook or Kindle 2 for next reader?

Hey folks,

So I've had my Sony PRS-505 for about half a year now. I have been mostly happy with it, but now I think I'd like a reader with wireless network connectivity to purchase books on-the-fly. I'm torn between the Nook & Kindle 2. Here's what I consider important to me:

-I have a variety of books (all text) in PDF format. I'd like a reader that can handle this format with the least hassle.

-Even though I'm looking for a wireless network, I only plan on buying public domain books (like Sony had in their store). Which store (Amazon vs. Barnes & Noble) hosts more free books (in the classic genre). Also, if I were to buy a bestseller, who has the better price?

-Has anyone tested the page turning / operational speed of the two devices and come up with a snappier product?

I think that's about it, but if you have anything else to comment on either device, or if you have another in mind, please feel free to post your opinion. Thanks for your time, and happy new year!
lonelyphoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wait until after CES before making any ebook reader buying decisions. It starts next weekend.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If you like to annotate and highlight, the Kindle 2 is the better of the two at present.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Kindle 2. From reviews it seems it's better than the Nook pretty much all around. Less clunk user interface, better selection and prices in the Kindle Store, better high lighting and annotation features etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you like to annotate and highlight, the Kindle 2 is the better of the two at present.
I know that the original poster didn't mention it, but personally, as the owner of both, I find that the Sony PRS-600 is better than the Kindle 2 for this. Perhaps the original poster might wish to consider that as a possibility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know that the original poster didn't mention it, but personally, as the owner of both, I find that the Sony PRS-600 is better than the Kindle 2 for this. Perhaps the original poster might wish to consider that as a possibility.
Or even the PRS-900, which adds wireless (to an extent) to the PRS-600 capabilities, which the OP did mention as a priority.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote