Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #61
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
It's not working for me with the custom footer patch, if I have to choose between small footer and this feature, I take the small footer.
That's odd. I also have a fairly small patched custom footer and it works OK for me in kepubs. I admit I have sometimes needed to have multiple attempts at hitting the correct spot to get it started.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
There is also a new option to enable and disable some sort of tracking at the end of the energy and power settings (but I haven't tried it).
It isn't new. It was on the Reading setting page. But, it might have disappeared in one of the recent firmware.

Unfortunately, I think it does to much. As well as turning off any reporting to Kobo, it also turns off the stats collection. Nothing mentions this, but if you go to the Activity page after turning of this open, there is a message to tell you how it is turned on. As I like the reading stats, I have complained to Kobo. Hopefully they will decide that separating these two things is a good idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #63
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That's odd. I also have a fairly small patched custom footer and it works OK for me in kepubs. I admit I have sometimes needed to have multiple attempts at hitting the correct spot to get it started.
I did manage it to work once or twice, but most of the time doesn't work, the footer is really small, I reduced is from 70px to 28px, without the patch it works ok.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #64
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
So anybody with a first generation Aura, has the two-finger light adjustment finally been fixed? Last firmware, it still had oddities, like accidentally turning pages, or selecting text when making the adjustment, and using the pop-up from the menu would only change the brightness after you lifted your finger making it difficult to use. I've been using a patched version of 3.12.1 for the longest time because that's the last version where the two-finger brightness adjustment works flawlessly.

Edit: I bit the bullet and installed the latest firmware, so I can answer my own question and am able to report that after some brief testing, it appears that the two-finger light adjustment has been restored to a usable state on the first-generation Aura. There is some slight lag, and it seems to very occasionally "miss", requiring a second swipe to register, but it's otherwise adequately functional, and I have not seen any other anomalous behavior like inadvertently turning pages or selecting text. The pop-up still isn't real-time and only changes the brightness after you lift your finger, but it works well for fine adjustments by tapping the sun icons.

I have it patched up, mainly to allow advanced font settings for side-loaded fonts and to fix the default fonts bug in epub files, and everything seems to be working as expected with a noticeable increase in responsiveness. I'll decide after a few days of use, but this seems it may finally be the firmware that convinces to leave my beloved 3.12.1.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 04-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #65
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I'm assuming that owners of Kobo H2O Edition 2 are still being advised not to update?

Jim
I have the H2O 2017 model 1 and i have updated mine perfectly. The firmware update seems to run pretty smooth and very fast so i am glad that this update came out.

Now my hunt is on to the best patches to use for my h2o
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #66
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It isn't new. It was on the Reading setting page. But, it might have disappeared in one of the recent firmware.

Unfortunately, I think it does to much. As well as turning off any reporting to Kobo, it also turns off the stats collection. Nothing mentions this, but if you go to the Activity page after turning of this open, there is a message to tell you how it is turned on. As I like the reading stats, I have complained to Kobo. Hopefully they will decide that separating these two things is a good idea.
Yes, I agree that they should be separated. I'm sure somebody's going to turn off their stats by accident this way sooner or later. I almost did myself.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #67
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I had to find the post to see exactly what I said. I should have used "characters" not "digits". So, it includes the "N" at the start.

On the device in the directory ".kobo", there is a file called "affiliate.conf". This contains the company that is associated with your Kobo account. Usually this is related to how you first signed up and I assume they get a share of any books you buy from Kobo. Kobo control the firmware distribution based on this and some other things. They start with a few smaller, and possibly Canadian based affiliates, and gradually expand the distribution over a few weeks. Over the years, people have found which affiliate gets the firmware first, and geek1011 site uses these. If you edit the file above and change the affiliate to one of these, the device should update if there is firmware available.
I spoke too soon. I do understand that I have the second version of the H2O, Edition 2. But plugging the Kobo into my computer and opening up the file reveals only files of books that are loaded on the device. No ".kobo" directory nor any other folders not related to Calibre. Is my Mac hiding these files?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #68
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I spoke too soon. I do understand that I have the second version of the H2O, Edition 2. But plugging the Kobo into my computer and opening up the file reveals only files of books that are loaded on the device. No ".kobo" directory nor any other folders not related to Calibre. Is my Mac hiding these files?

Jim
Yes, macOS hides those files. This is because on Linux and macOS, files are hidden by adding a dot to the beginning of the name. On Sierra or newer, you can use Cmd+Shift+dot to toggle their visibility. On older versions, you can use the Go option to manually navigate to the .kobo folder.

Also, based on my stats, since 2016, the bestbuyca affiliate has had (and still has) the best update availability.

Last edited by geek1011; 04-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #69
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, macOS hides those files. This is because on Linux and macOS, files are hidden by adding a dot to the beginning of the name. On Sierra or newer, you can use Cmd+Shift+dot to toggle their visibility. On older versions, you can use the Go option to manually navigate to the .kobo folder.

Also, based on my stats, since 2016, the bestbuyca affiliate has had (and still has) the best update availability.
Thank you very much, Cmd+Shift+dot worked to reveal the hidden files. I take it I might need to have the Kobo Desktop on my computer to open the necessary file? A prompt comes up when I try to open it saying there's nothing on the computer that's available to open the file.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Jim
Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Thank you very much, Cmd+Shift+dot worked to reveal the hidden files. I take it I might need to have the Kobo Desktop on my computer to open the necessary file? A prompt comes up when I try to open it saying there's nothing on the computer that's available to open the file.

Sorry to be a nuisance.
Just to add to this. In a UNIX based OS any file or directory that starts with a period is a hidden file. In Linux Mint I just hit Cnt+H to toggle "hide" or reveal to show (or hide) hidden files.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #71
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The affiliates.conf file is just a text file. Opening it in any text editor on the Mac should be OK. On Windows, you need to be careful and use a text editor that understands Unix line-ends.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #72
Strether
Guru

Quote:
The affiliates.conf file is just a text file. Opening it in any text editor on the Mac should be OK. On Windows, you need to be careful and use a text editor that understands Unix line-ends.
Turns out that the Mac has a text editor called...wait for it...TextEdit. Was successfully able to change the affiliate to bestbuyca as per geek1011's recommendation. Thanks to you both for walking me through this process.

An initial sync went through OK, but wasn't productive of anything, which didn't surprise me. Haven't seen any posts from anyone with a similar model receiving an update.

Jim
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #73
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Turns out that the Mac has a text editor called...wait for it...TextEdit. Was successfully able to change the affiliate to bestbuyca as per geek1011's recommendation. Thanks to you both for walking me through this process.

An initial sync went through OK, but wasn't productive of anything, which didn't surprise me. Haven't seen any posts from anyone with a similar model receiving an update.

Jim
Sounds about right. Please let us know if you do end up getting an update sometime soon.

I also just got an idea: maybe the v1/v2 from the sync is based on the serial (and defaulting to v1 for an invalid one)? I will test this soon.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:48 AM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Just an update on my Touch (4.8.x) firmware update and ePubs. Still no luck. I have emailed someone at their GitHub site (as suggested by geek1011) and will let you know if there is anything to report. Meanwhile I think I would hold off updating your Touch (unless you want to test and verify - or not - that this happens to you also). It would be nice to know if this a problem for everyone or just an issue on my specific Touch. The ePub books in question still work fine on the non-updated Touch.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:13 AM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also just got an idea: maybe the v1/v2 from the sync is based on the serial (and defaulting to v1 for an invalid one)? I will test this soon.
It shouldn't be. The discussion on the new versions was started because of the model id. That is different and should be in the request. I suppose they could be validating the serial number as well, but they haven't for any of the other machines.