Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
Nebojsa
Nebojsa began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch (d01200) touchscreen unresponsive

Hello,

I have Kindle Touch, d01200 WIFI version, from a friend.
He didn't use it for a while (coupe of months) and when he turn it on, it won't react to touch. I charge it 24h and the led turn green, but the touch wont work.
Tried to hold power button 40sec and it restarts, can see picture of a boy and the tree with progress bar (so the screen isn't broken), but when it loads to homescreen I can't select anything. After a while screensaver turn on.

Because can't go to menu and reset it, I found somewhere that it can be done with putting file with name DO_FACTORY_RESTORE in to the root of the Kindle folder with PC. I done that and it resets itself, reboot and menu to select language appear, but again, touch not respond and I can't select anything.
After 10 minutes or so, the screensaver turn on.

I read that this model don't have classic touchscreen but some kind of IR sensors around the screen, and when they become dirty, they could stop working. So, I cleaned it and cleaned it but without success.
I tried to open it and re-seat the flat cable, but again, nothing.
Any suggestion what else to try?

I read somewhere on this forum that, on some models, you can attach mouse with OTG cable, is that possible with this model so I maybe can use it that way?
ANY suggestion is very appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Nebojsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Nebojsa

If it's touchscreen is IR, where are sensors located? Are they on the edge of the screen, or on the edge of motherboard. Are those are IR sensors on motherboard?

Maybe I can try to find replacement motherboard, or even try to repair this one. Does anyone know which part on the motherboard control IR sensors, so I can focus on that?

Last edited by Nebojsa; 05-05-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You do not touch the motherboard to operate the Kindle, so why would the IR sensors be on the motherboard?
They are around the edge of the display assembly.
That is why the benzel of the KT, KT2 and KT3 are thicker than all other touchscreen models.

Before you start going crazy, why don't you just look for the IR scanning?
Nearly all digital camera sensors can "see" IR (to check, 'look' at a remote control output with whatever one you decide to use).

Note: Replacing the motherboard will not fix something that is wrong with the display.
That is like having a new engine installed in your car to fix a flat tire.

Save yourself a lot of grief, just buy a KT3 (refurbished, on-sale, used, just shop for one they are the lowest priced Kindle there is).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Nebojsa

Thank you for your response.

I do not touch the motherboard but when I disassembled the unit I have seen those, let's call them diodes, all around the edge of the motherboard. When everything is in the place, those diodes have their place in the bezel, JUST near the edge of the screen.
So, I'm thinking, if those ARE the IR sensors, and if I want to try to find replacement part, I do not have to look for the screen because the screen is working, I have to find motherboard and replace it.
But, if the sensors are on the edge of the screen itself, then I have to find the replacement screen, not the motherboard.
Those are just my thoughts, I don't know anything for sure just try to find an answer and possible solution.
I did try to look for the IR scanning with phone camera, I can see the ir from tv remote, but when look on the Kindle screen can't see anything.
I have another e-book reader, that's not the point. I would like to try to fix this one, or to say, I tried, but it cannot be done, not for reasonable price at least. Then I will sell it for parts.
On the first picture you can see those diodes, named D(some number). If this model had the backlight, I would assume that are LED diodes for light, but it doesn't.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
02xda2
moddedmad
02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
hey Nebojsa,

please check this (step 7 & 8)
02xda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Nebojsa

Hey, thanks for your response.
I look that link, the model is different, but the principle is the same.

"Looks like we've found the source of the new Kindle's touching sensibilities.
A grid of infrared LEDs and receivers crosses the display, powered by Neonode's zForce tech.

The LEDs project away from the display, into small wells in the plastic bezel.
These wells collimate and reflect the light back across the face of the display,
in wide flat bands to be received on the opposite side...

...until your finger gets in the way and blocks the band, registering a touch."

"The touch grid is made up of two distinct circuit boards, joined by a small ribbon cable.

One is lined with LEDs and projects, from the top and left side of the Kindle's display,
and the other is made up of IR receivers (likely phototransistors),
and makes up the right and bottom edges of the display.

We pulled out our favorite home-hacked IR camera to see this in action.

There's a bit of circuitry on the receiver board, to monitor the breaks in projected light and detect touch:

Neonode zForce NN1001 Single Chip Optical Touch Controller

Texas Instruments MSP430G2 Ultra Low Power Microcontroller"

Guess the sensors are on the motherboard, not the display.
I have to look for those chips, Neonode zForce NN1001 and Texas Instruments MSP430G2 on my board
and see if I can find anything, like burned parts around them or something like that.

Last edited by Nebojsa; 05-05-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Nebojsa

Update:

I found replacement motherboard (2.45USD + shipping).
I replaced it and it works!
Now touch and everything working like it should.

So, for this model (d01200) IR sensors for touch are located at motherboard, not display.
Maybe this will help somebody else.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you have any problems moving the device and owner specific data from the old motherboard to the new one?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
Nebojsa

Data is not a problem, he have couple of books on pc as backup.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebojsa View Post
Data is not a problem, he have couple of books on pc as backup.
What I asked you about is stored outside of the file system.

See if you can communicate with your Amazon account.
You may be able to just register the new motherboard with your account.
Otherwise you will have to move the motherboard identification from the old board to the new (used) board.

Note: One of the possible reasons for the low cost of the motherboard is that it may be blacklisted by Amazon.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Nebojsa

My friend doesn't remember pass from his account, so I will try with new one.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
My friend doesn't remember pass from his account, so I will try with new one.
His web browser remembers it, have him check it.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
Nebojsa

What do you mean, his web browser?
There is a new motherboard, fresh system, everything is reset to default...
Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
What do you mean, his web browser?
There is a new motherboard, fresh system, everything is reset to default...
His web browser remembers his Amazon account username and password.
Which is the same you need to register the Kindle.

And it IS NOT a "new" motherboard, it is a different, used motherboard.
At the price you reported, it may very well be blacklisted.
The best way to learn if it is, is to attempt to register the Kindle with his Amazon account.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
He probably bought the motherboard from here:http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...d-p-22790.html

I have bought over one hundred motherboards from them. They don't sell blacklisted motherboards.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote