Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Kobo, at least, are still selling them, so I'd guess the answer is yes
Admittedly they could be using up old screens.

Hopefully Trekstor & e-ink can sort out their patent dispute as I don't think trekstor will have any problems producing 5 inch screens if anyone want's them (Still liking the 4.3 inch screen on the Pyrus mini).
Trekstor doesn't make the screens. They don't even make the ereaders.

Trekstor is one of a bunch of companies that license an ereader design from a company that is using the knock off screen:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...sizes-4-3-6-8/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
There's a LOT of older posts asking that same question over the last few years, this thread probably sums it up best.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=vizplex

In short, Vizplex on the Sony readers including the entire x50 line is indeed the Pearl e-ink screen.
So yes the Kobo Mini is using a pearl screen, just like those Sony's..... it's not hugely clear but the old inferior Vizplex screens are a different thing right? These newer pearl screens which mention Vizplex is a type or model of Pearl screen. Otherwise, why would the Kobo Mini product pages state it's a pearl screen?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
So yes the Kobo Mini is using a pearl screen, just like those Sony's..... it's not hugely clear but the old inferior Vizplex screens are a different thing right? These newer pearl screens which mention Vizplex is a type or model of Pearl screen. Otherwise, why would the Kobo Mini product pages state it's a pearl screen?
Speaking as someone who owns a Kobo Mini, I cannot see a difference between its screen and the screen on 6" ereaders.

The Kobo Mini might or might not have a Pearl E-ink screen, but I really can't tell so I don't care.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Kobo Mini might or might not have a Pearl E-ink screen, but I really can't tell so I don't care.
If you can't tell, then it probably does have a Pearl screen. The 50% contrast improvement from the older Vizplex to Pearl is extremely noticeable. Blacks are much "blacker" on a Pearl screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #50
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
If they want a successful new reader, it should run the latest Android and allow people to download any Android app. There are several Android apps (like Coolreader and Aldiko) that are better than Sony's Reader. I use Coolreader on my T1, and it allows a lot of customization (fonts etc.). The text is quite a bit darker and easier to read than on the default Sony Reader.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #51
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Sony's new reader to be a front lit T3
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...nnounced-soon/

I hope it allow folders

I want to announce to Sony and the world I will

NOT BE BUYING IT UNLESS IT HAS FOLDER SUPPORT.

I again DEMAND FOLDER SUPPORT.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

It's nice to think that the world reads MobileRead.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It will have collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:

My 350 has folders, so I can't imagine a new one wouldn't.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #55
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
The 350 has collections, not folders.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #56
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
So you didn't like the software?
Looks like Bookworm_Girl has already answered that question and put it way better than even I could.

Perhaps she is right, in so far that I have given up on SONY prior to the latest generation (the T1 was my last SONY reader and that I returned swiftly due to a 'page-turning' bug). I had complaints about two main features:

1- Delivery and management of periodicals (which was, at the time, hit-or-miss).

2- Storing, moving, backing up annotations.

I know that both have been over-hauled, in all fairness.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #57
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Ha ha! I am familiar with vxf's past posts regarding the Sony software. The newest version of the Sony desktop software is frustrating and not as full-featured or speedy as their old version. It's syncing and note-taking capabilities are limited for advanced users like vxf compared to the old version.

The good news is that with the newer models you don't need the desktop software anymore. Sony now has a web-based bookstore for purchases on your computer. You can browse and download books from the reader browser even from other bookstores like Kobo. You can borrow books from your local library via an Overdrive app on the T1/T2. The T2 also has an Evernote app where you can upload your highlights and notes as well as download saved web pages. Sony also finally released an iOS app which is powered by Bluefire. Many of us switched to calibre for managing our libraries and collections since it integrates so well with the Sony readers. I've been able to do some sophisticated things like sorting books in my collections via published date order and adding genre and series labels to collection names.

By the way, vxf, Wall Street Journal downloads have worked consistently with the T1/T2. I think that was an issue you had in the past too. Although I recently cancelled my Sony subscription and switched to mobile access on my iPad.
As always, you are right.
And you have an incredible memory. I barely recall even having a SONY, by now.
Obviously, kidding.

But yes, it sounds like my main complaints (poor management of annotations and problems with periodical delivery) have been addressed. So I should probably keep quiet. But I couldn't resist...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #58
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I agree !
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
No it doesn't - it has collections. Collections are not folders, but tags.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #60
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
I agree !
Folder support is the reason I use cybooks

Bugs me me there is no e-reader supporting both folder and collection.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote