Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I was young, I would read mostly science fiction and fantasy books. I did read some of the Alfred Hitchcock and Hardy Boys books. When I was 13 I got a gift certificate to the Harvard Coop and the first two books I bought were The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and Raise the Titanic. I still read mostly science fiction and fantasy though. But I was starting to broaden the type of books I read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #77
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My kinda thread! I read a bit of literary and nonfiction, but more F & SF (including some urban fantasy), YA, romance, "women's fiction" (a hotly debated category here!), and so on. I'm not sure whether adults reading romance or adults reading YA are more denigrated... so just try reading YA romance!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #78
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Lynsay's Vampires were 2003 not 2005.
Sherrilyn Kenyon is 2002

Maggie Shayne rocks!

Let's not forget Linda Lael Miller's in 93. I think that was my first vampire book.
Sorry Blossom, I got typing to fast and didn't re-read. You are correct. I forgot the Lynsay's reading order does not match the release order.
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #79
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll take Anne Rice's, Jim Butcher's and Kim Harrison's Vampires over those ones any day.

But have you ever read about Bigfoot and his son Irwin?
Anne's = too winey. Jim's and Kim's I like. Now, please tell me about Bigfoot and his son.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #80
auntykatkat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My kinda thread! I read a bit of literary and nonfiction, but more F & SF (including some urban fantasy), YA, romance, "women's fiction" (a hotly debated category here!), and so on. I'm not sure whether adults reading romance or adults reading YA are more denigrated... so just try reading YA romance!
I have. Some of them are really quite good. Last one re-read was Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake.
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #81
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
They got nothin' on the Russian covers:
Actually German -- The Warrior's Apprentice
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Sorry Blossom, I got typing to fast and didn't re-read. You are correct. I forgot the Lynsay's reading order does not match the release order.
I know it's confusing right? I read them as they came out. I was a Love Spell member. I like Vamps but Shifters are favorite preferably Feline too many werewolves!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #83
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I just finished last year a bunch of them. Beautiful Disaster was probably my favorite with Perfect Chemistry coming in second.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anne's = too winey. Jim's and Kim's I like. Now, please tell me about Bigfoot and his son.
Bigfoot and his son Irwin are part of the Dresden Files series. They are short stories that are in those multi-author collections.

B is for Bigfoot from Under My Hat: Tales From the Cauldron
I was a Teenage Bigfoot from Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste
Bigfoot on Campus from Hex Appeal
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #85
auntykatkat
Evangelist

Quote:
Bigfoot and his son Irwin are part of the Dresden Files series. They are short stories that are in those multi-author collections.

B is for Bigfoot from Under My Hat: Tales From the Cauldron
I was a Teenage Bigfoot from Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste
Bigfoot on Campus from Hex Appeal
Agh!, how did I miss them. Now going to have to find them. Thanks to all~ there are now more books added to my wishlist. Dreading trying to find some of those "sleazy" books of Dr. Drib's.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #86
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm way too old (33 in less than 3 months) to care what other people think -- about what I read, about how I live, about how I dress. Life is way too short.
Thanks, saved me re-typing mine up too.

By the same token when it comes to other people reading I don't care either. Everyone has different tastes and I think the act of actually reading is far more important than what is being read.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Agh!, how did I miss them. Now going to have to find them. Thanks to all~ there are now more books added to my wishlist. Dreading trying to find some of those "sleazy" books of Dr. Drib's.
They came out in 2012.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #88
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
But thankfully for the eBook, they've done away with that cover.

The fonts are still massively ugly though.
The ebook uses the cover from the hardcover.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #89
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It's easier to say what I don't read than what I do. I don't read urban fantasy, or anything apocalyptic or dystopian. On the whole, I don't do vamps or horror or paranormals, although I do enjoy Jayne Ann Krent's books - call them paranormal lite.

I've just finished a spree of reading about neuroscience. I'm currently (re) reading the Peter Shandy mysteries by Charlotte MacLeod (cozies). I'm listening to Georgette Heyer's These Old Shades - had been listening to Dawkin's The God Delusion, but found it hard to follow listening, so I'll read the book. Two of my best reads of recent months are probably litfic: Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore (don't ask me about it, or I'll rave you into boredom) and Calling Invisible Women (ditto).

Basically, if it's depressing, I won't read it. If it's generally optimistic, and probably strongy character-driven, I'll probably like it. (I did enjoy Scalzi's Redshirts, but mostly for the codas - he's too plot-driven for me to read too much of his stuff).
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #90
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The most insufferable book snobs ever to cross my path have been the 'nonfiction only' readers.

My favorite books so far this year have been some Michael Connelly mysteries, Mapp & Lucia and Jeeves novels, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, and some sparkly vampire romances. I do also love 1950's pulp mysteries with lurid covers to rival any current man-titty romance covers. I'm fond of zombies and entrail-dragging horrors. I guess I don't care what anyone thinks about my eclectic taste, or lack of taste, in books.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote