Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
chengyibo
chengyibo began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
why font-size is not use in kindle

hello,dear friends,why the fllow display the same in kindle?
css:font-size:0.5em
font-size:1em

Best Regards,
chengyibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Because the mobipocket format does not understand CSS at all?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
chengyibo

give me a help?

could you give me the way to slove this
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use something like this:

Code:
This font is normal <font size="+1">this is larger</font>, and <font size="-1">this is smaller</font>.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
chengyibo

thank you very much,Can I make friends for you?
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
The MOBI format and the Kindle do recognise some CSS. It's just kind of patchy. I just tested em values for the CSS font-size property, and they seemed to work properly - when I used 1em I got the same size as the default text, and when I used 0.5em the text was substantially smaller.
(See attached screen shot.)

- Donna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fontsize.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	60806  
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
The MOBI format and the Kindle do recognise some CSS.
It's probably not the MOBI format or Kindle, but the program you use to convert the initial HTML+CSS into MOBI. What the MOBI format actually supports is <font size="-1"> (relative) or <font size="3"> (absolute).

Last edited by Jellby; 11-08-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
The MOBI format and the Kindle do recognise some CSS. It's just kind of patchy. I just tested em values for the CSS font-size property, and they seemed to work properly - when I used 1em I got the same size as the default text, and when I used 0.5em the text was substantially smaller.
(See attached screen shot.)

- Donna
Ditto. (Hi, Donna!--Hitch waves...nice to see you on a civilized forum! Kids, Donna knows her Fu).

I've had good luck with using ems, and it translates nicely across multiple platforms, since I make all my books from ePUBs first with both "normal" css and an ADE xpgt template for fun. (har).

HTH,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
(Hi Hitch! )

Heh... thank you kindly for those nice words, Hitch, but last few days I've been finding out more stuff I didn't know. There's always more, isn't there?

When I've been able to, I've been poking around with mobiunpack.py and a few other things, and Jellby is quite right - all of the CSS in the HTML used to create a mobi file gets turned into basic and/or proprietary HTML inside the mobi file by Kindlegen.

For example:

Code:
<p style="text-indent:0.3in">Paragraph with first line indent 0.3in.</p>
<p style="text-indent:5em">Paragraph with first line indent 5em.</p>
<p style="font-size:0.5em">Paragraph with font size 0.5em.</p>
<p style="font-size:16pt">Paragraph with font size 16pt.</p>
<p style="margin-left:0.5in;margin-top:12pt;margin-bottom:12pt">Paragraph with left margin 0.5in, and 12pt space before and after.</p>
<p style="margin-left:20%;margin-top:3em;margin-bottom:20px">Paragraph with left margin 20%, 3em space before and 20px space after.</p>
becomes:

Code:
<p width="29">Paragraph with first line indent 0.3in.</p> 
<p width="5em">Paragraph with first line indent 5em.</p> 
<p><font size="-3">Paragraph with font size 0.5em.</font></p> 
<p><font size="5">Paragraph with font size 16pt.</font></p> 
<p height="16"><blockquote>Paragraph with left margin 0.5in, and 12pt space before and after.</blockquote></p>
<div height="16"></div> 
<p height="3em"><blockquote>Paragraph with left margin 20%, 3em space before and 20px space after.</blockquote></p>
<div height="20"></div>
Seems like a major rewrite of the MOBI format will be needed for it to accommodate CSS properly. On the up side, it makes it a lot easier to figure out what CSS (in the input file) will work - if you can figure a way of doing essentially the same thing in HTML 3.2 (plus the proprietary use of "height" and "width" attributes in the <p> tag, and the proprietary <mbpagebreak/> tag), then it'll probably work. If there's no way of doing it with HTML 3.2, it probably won't. grrrrrrr!

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The HTML tags that are supported are documented on the Mobipocket site: http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...eFolder=prcgen
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote