Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #46
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Canuck lookin for info

Ordered PRS700 as soon as I heard about it. Was looking for any info or pics I could find, especially a Canadian review. Found Kris Abel, Canada AM's (that's CTV's morning show if you are unfamiliar with it) tech guru had written a review. I attached a comment. Someone came back and said everyone over at MobileRead was panning the PRS700 so I had to come over to check it out. I have been waiting a long time to get an eBook reader and this news was distressing.

Lately there have been some better reviews in the MobileRead forum.

Sonystyle.ca has linked Kris Abels review to their page containing the PRS700. I don't know if they'll leave it there or not with all this raggin going on.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #47
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, double post, please remove
Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #48
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't think there is anything wrong with the 700. The poor reviews were the product of so many people wishing for so much from the new 700 that anything short of a cure for cancer, world peace, and universal prosperity would fall short of expectations.

The new unit is beautiful and the controls are better placed IMHO than the 505's controls were. As I remember, the 505 was panned when it was released for everything except the new screen and the 500 before it was panned in almost every review by the mainstream press. Even the Amazon Kindle -- as far as we know the largest selling e-ink reader in the US -- has been widely criticized on all fronts for everything from its controls to its plastic body to its restrictive format offerings. No reader is perfect. No reader will meet the needs and expectations of everyone.

Yes, some if not most of the MR reviews of the 700 have been critical of the unit. Many of these reviewers were expecting the second coming and got only an excellent electronic reader. Sure a lot of the features can be improved; but, improved at a cost. As it stands, the 700's configuration is a hit in the marketplace -- it has set a new price/performance point that others must meet to stay in the game.

People will read the negative review points and then decide if thy can or cannot live with the issues raised. Some of the issues are not important to some people. Others may be show stoppers. This way, when someone looks at one of the new 700s they know what others have said and they can make their own decision. They do not have to worry later, "Why didn't I think to check that out before I bought." They can buy with a clear mind.

When I bought my Sony PRS-500 over two years ago there were many negative things said about the unit. I looked at it and the buy decision was made within five minutes (including the time required to get my wife to go along with the decision. [In fact, she was the one that said, "Go on and get it. You know that you want it."])

So enjoy your new unit in good health and do post about your experiences. We do want to hear from both sides.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #49
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Was browsing e-readers ...I don't remeber where I heard about them, sumbled upon this site and it seemed to have a lot of information. And now I own a reader and I still browse and lurk just to see whats new in the world of ereaders and also for the converted books.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I was discussing ebook readers some time ago on an IRC channel I often frequent. And somebody posted the link to one of the wiki pages (comparison chart of ebook readers). I've been reading ebooks for about 5 years now (first on a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 600, now on a Loox 720), and I've been following the progress of e-ink since the very first sony device. I kept coming back and today decided to join
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #51
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I first saw the Reader on Border's emails. I looked into it, and meditated on it for a while. I wasn't sure if the price and no more trips to the bookstore would be worth it. What swung it for me was the ability to take lots of books on vacation (usually half of my suitcase, literally, is filled with books). I asked for it for my birthday

I honestly love mine more and more every day
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #52
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I found Mobile Read through a google search the day I bought my reader, and don't think I've left since...

I heard via the yeti that Smiths were selling the CyBook at a reasonable price - I'd originally wanted an iLiad, but the price was too offputting. So we went on a hunt to see if Smiths had any in store we could look at and discovered they don't keep them in stores. Next to the second Smiths we looked in was a Waterstones, with the Sony 505 on display. I promptly fell in love with it and we both bought one. The yeti since discovered he doesn't like reading off a screen and far prefers physical books so sold his. Being able to carry lots of books in something that weighs so little was a major factor for me, as was being able to read easily whilst standing on the tube, holding on with one hand!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #53
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Same here, this website ranks rather High in google search for anything ebook/eink related, i stumbled across it many time while i had my kindle, but when i got my PRS-700 it was always there and i decided to Join. and the fact that the site uses VB as the forum software, I decided atleast the admins know what they are doing , as im also an Admin on a VB Website.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #54
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Same here, this website ranks rather High in google search for anything ebook/eink related, i stumbled across it many time while i had my kindle, but when i got my PRS-700 it was always there and i decided to Join. and the fact that the site uses VB as the forum software, I decided atleast the admins know what they are doing , as im also an Admin on a VB Website.

All credit for VB should go to Alex. He is the founder, owner, final authority, pathfinder, and code monkey. I've been a mod here for almost two years and never touched a line of code. (The closest I've come is in adding to the Wiki.) All enhancements, modifications, and version changes are his alone.

Of all the sites I have used, MobileRead has had the most uptime of any. I do not recall a time when it has been down. (There was that ripstorm on Verizon that blocked me from all web sites about a year ago; but, that was not a MobileRead problem.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #55
mineralpoint
mineralpoint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
i saw the kindle on amazon and thought it sounded extremely cool but extremely over price! then my girlfriends uncle showed me his last thanksgiving and i thought it might be worth it. i did ton's of web searches for like products and for a short time considered getting the fictionwise ebookwise reader through ebay. then i saw the sony ereader's in borders the 505 and 700 and i LOVED the 700 touch screen it was just too cool for school, but i could see that the screen of the 505 was so much better....but the touch screen was bad ass....i was torn in two. i waited and saved up my money and researched more this is when i ran across mobile read (you all helped a lot) and found out about the glare thing of the 700 and considered if it mattered to me. eventually i had enough money and i made a final decision i went with the 505, but i still fantasize about the 700 i love the touch screen and it's superior elegance in design. i love my 505 and i don't think i'll look back but look forward to maybe an upgraded 700 that has a higher contrast and less glare. but we'll see what happens, i'm really liking the looks and idea behind the txtr reader. just having a few buttons on one side and just flipping it around is cool. and that's my story.
mineralpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #56
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I dont know how I made it here, but do know it was a while ago
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #57
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I stumbled on it back in June 2007 when I Googled for data on the Sony 500 which I had intended spending an anticipated gift certificate on. Instead of a certificate I got some (much needed) shirts but continued to lurk on MobileRead when the 505 came out.

Finally, in November that year, I decided I was definitely getting the 505 either as an Xmas present or I was just going to buy the damn thing after the holidays, and I stopped lurking and joined up.

And was immediately hooked.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #58
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

I stumbled across this thread again. It lay dormant for over 2 months and suddenly springs to life. Must be spring!

WDE.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #59
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I had been reading on my laptop for some months and was interested in getting something more portable that I could read on the train, in bed or in the park. I stumbled across MobileRead while researching devices.

As a Sony 505 owner, I've found I needed a lot of additional information and resources to make it work the way I wanted it to (mostly anyway) -- and I learn something new every time I visit!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #60
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I saw the Amazon video for the Kindle (K#1) and thought it was a really cool gadget. I then searched (probably google) for ereaders (or similar term) and came across Mobile Read.

Within a few weeks, I had my red Sony 505 in hand!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote