Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Paeminem
Paeminem began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Alternative to Kobo Forma

Hi!

Currently own a Tolino vision 4 HD but looking to upgrade to a new e reader with a bigger screen. I tried the Kobo forma in store and fell in love with the buttons and the form factor.

The drawback I have found with the device is reading manga. From what I've understood there are various ways of getting manga on the device, be it converting downloaded manga to epubs or using KOReader to read CBZ files. However, my favorite method would be using an app such as the Android apps tachiyomi or manga rock, etc.

I guess I'm looking for any advice on e readers that I may have missed that have physical buttons, a screen larger than 6 inches and have more freedom for downloading apps.

Either that or if there is some mod for Kobo devices that could solve this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Paeminem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, CBZ and CBR is a supported book type on all Kobo devices. You don't need to add anything to be able to read them. I don't read manga or comics, so I can't really comment, but, whenever I have tried one, they seem to work well.

For what you want, you need an Android device that will allow loading apps. I don't know an Android device with buttons. Kobo uses Linux and a native app, so they cannot do it unless you find a way to install Android. Someone has created The UltimateMangaReader for Kobo devices. Maybe that is suitable.

And as you have a tolino, there is the tolino epos. That is a larger e-ink device. It is Android based. I don't know if there is a jailbreak to allow you to install other apps. But it doesn't have buttons.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
Paeminem
Paeminem began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Thanks a lot for the input!

Really helpful to know that Kobo natively supports those file formats.

I guess I will have to make a choice and decide if I value the form factor/buttons or the freedom that comes with Android more.

Either that or wait for now and see if any new interesting devices get released.
Paeminem is offline   Reply With Quote