Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Nebucad
Nebucad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 - Gen. 5
Thumbs up Editor update 1.42

I updated Calibre and i noticed the improvment.

It seemd for me everything runs smoother and quicker - I love it.
I guess you made the right improvements.

Thank you Kovid Goyal
Nebucad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Thank you Kovid, for adding the add cover feature! Great!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Inserting a cover

Thank you for adding this very handy tool. I'd like to suggest a small improvement. This is something I am already doing using your Editor.

When I open a book, I like to begin first with the cover. However some ebook renderers drop you directly to the first text chapter and I have to go backwards some pages if I wish to see the cover...

That's why, on my ebooks, using your editor, I usually add an entry (named... "cover") to the toc.ncx, so as to force the opening of the book on the cover.

For this reason, I think it could make some sense to add a tick option "Display cover first" (or something like that) close to the existing (and very useful) one "Preserve aspect ratio" .

I hope I've been clear...

Last edited by roger64; 06-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@roger64: What you are looking for is possible through the Set Semantics tool. Simply change the semanitcs named "Text (First real page of content)" to point to the cover file.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kovid: Unfortunately, the Kobo ereaders don't respect that setting. They open epubs to the first entry in the TOC. That is assuming roger64 is talking about reading it on the device he has listed.

What I have been doing for this situation is to add a heading to the page with a class that has "display: none;". That was very useful with Sigil as it was picked up by the ToC generation. It isn't as necessary for the calibre editor as it is much easier to add an entry pointing to other places.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, well in that case I am not going to add a device specific hack into the UI of the editor. You can always add the ToC entry manually.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you mark the html file where you have the cover as the cover file, the editor puts itin the first place and the cover appears when you open the book in the kobo.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah, well in that case I am not going to add a device specific hack into the UI of the editor. You can always add the ToC entry manually.
Doesn't work on the Kindle either. The cover cannot be linked to at all.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you mark the html file where you have the cover as the cover file, the editor puts itin the first place and the cover appears when you open the book in the kobo.
Exactly. That's what I do. I have a Kobo Glo.

This way, the first time it opens a book, it's with the cover. I suggested this because many users don't know how to do it and just grumble about opening a book on the first chapter... An option does no harm.

For the Kindle, things may be different though - like everything else...

Last edited by roger64; 06-29-2014 at 02:23 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Doesn't work on the Kindle either. The cover cannot be linked to at all.
There is no way to open the book to the cover on a Kindle. The only solution is to insert a duplicate cover as a normal image at the start of the book and set the semantics to point to it as the start of text.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is no way to open the book to the cover on a Kindle. The only solution is to insert a duplicate cover as a normal image at the start of the book and set the semantics to point to it as the start of text.
Precisely.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:50 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
That's not what I see. If I mark the file as the cover, it is moved the the first file and is used by the Kobo device as the cover. But, the epub is opened to the first entry in the ToC.

If you are sideloading as a kepub, I think that works differently. They might always open to the first page of the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Exactly. That's what I do. I have a Kobo Glo.

This way, the first time it opens a book, it's with the cover. I suggested this because many users don't know how to do it and just grumble about opening a book on the first chapter...
The reason I have done the experiments in the past to find how the Kobos opened an epub was because of a discussion on why some opened on the cover and others elsewhere. I'd say it was about even as to whether people wanted it opening on the cover, or skipping the front matter and opening on the first actual text page.

Kovid: Is there are reason why the calibre viewer doesn't use the text semantic? It seems to always open to the front of the epub rather than this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kovid: Is there are reason why the calibre viewer doesn't use the text semantic? It seems to always open to the front of the epub rather than this.
Because I find the idea of a start position different from the cover silly. If there is content you dont want your users to see at the start of the book, put it at the end.

And if the viewer opens somewhere inside the book, people will not see the cover and I will get bug reports about how the viewer is not showing the cover.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
And if the viewer opens somewhere inside the book, people will not see the cover and I will get bug reports about how the viewer is not showing the cover.

An excellent reason!

Tags
editor, improvements, update 1.42