Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
desunit
desunit began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Oxford Dictionary for PB360

I have a dictionary from mobipocket.com:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=56162

Is it possible to convert it for PB360 format? The dictionary in PRC format.
desunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
desunit
desunit began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
OK. I've found DSL version of OALD7 and successfully converted it using DictionaryConverter using the following command line:

converter.exe En-En-Oald7.dsl eng
Loading collates...
Loading morphems...
Loading keyboard...
Loading dictionary file...
61493 words loaded
Sorting dictionary...
Searching for equal words...
Packing dictionary...
Creating index...
Writing output file...
OK

Total words: 61493
Total containers: 1990 (1014..5637 bytes)
Words in container: 1..88
Dictionary file size: 7756044 bytes

I've put the dictionary in system\dictionaries folder and did a quick test:
"his" - missing
"in" - missing

Some words contain strange characters like: "{.}" and "little square symbol". Did anybody try to convert DSL dictionary to DIC? Do you have good result?
desunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
Galina
Enthusiast
Galina began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by desunit View Post
OK. I've found DSL version of OALD7 and successfully converted it using DictionaryConverter using the following command line:

converter.exe En-En-Oald7.dsl eng
Loading collates...
Loading morphems...
Loading keyboard...
Loading dictionary file...
61493 words loaded
Sorting dictionary...
Searching for equal words...
Packing dictionary...
Creating index...
Writing output file...
OK

Total words: 61493
Total containers: 1990 (1014..5637 bytes)
Words in container: 1..88
Dictionary file size: 7756044 bytes

I've put the dictionary in system\dictionaries folder and did a quick test:
"his" - missing
"in" - missing

Some words contain strange characters like: "{.}" and "little square symbol". Did anybody try to convert DSL dictionary to DIC? Do you have good result?
Yes, I converted some DSL and also stardict dictionaries as well with a similar result. Either the converter is buggy or the system font is missing the special characters that won't display. It's ugly to look at, but basically it works.
It looks like the folks in the Ukraine do not spend much time on improving their software, which, as a matter of fact, is the only reason to buy a pocketbok instead of any other reader on the market.
For instance, I cannot understand why they do not adapt stardict (free source) to work in pocketbook as it works on Iliad.
But nobody cares.
It is always the same in the world of software development.

Lokk at Adobe's epub reader. It is the worst thing a software company ever brought to the market, and they even claim for property rights!

Last edited by Galina; 05-16-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Galina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galina View Post
Yes, I converted some DSL and also stardict dictionaries as well with a similar result.
How did u convert the stardict dictionaries.
I am talking about the 3 Files .dz .idx .ifo .

convert.exe gives me always an "error in arguments"
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Galina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
How did u convert the stardict dictionaries.
I am talking about the 3 Files .dz .idx .ifo .

convert.exe gives me always an "error in arguments"

Use "convstar" to convert stardict dictionaries to a text file. However, this does not work with all stardict, because argument "h" (html codes) is not being recognized (unfortunately, some very good dictionareis, such as Langenscheid are converned).
Well, if convstar routine finishes its work satisfactorily (without h-argument error) just take the textfile to the pocketbook converter and drag it together with the keyboard a.s.o. folders to the converter and a .dic file is being created.
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the tipp, I tried on convstar gives me "Unable to load stardict file"

U have another tip there for me. Its the .ifo to open with Convstar, correct ?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Galina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
Thanks for the tipp, I tried on convstar gives me "Unable to load stardict file"

U have another tip there for me. Its the .ifo to open with Convstar, correct ?
Yes, that's right.
It convstar does not find the dict file, rename the file ending .dz into .gz and unpack it with 7-zip (freeware). As a result you will have a .dict file.
It might work this way.
I'm sorry not to be of much help to you, but that's all I know.
There are several stardict files that won't convert.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galina View Post
Yes, that's right.
It convstar does not find the dict file, rename the file ending .dz into .gz and unpack it with 7-zip (freeware). As a result you will have a .dict file.
It might work this way.
I'm sorry not to be of much help to you, but that's all I know.
There are several stardict files that won't convert.
Yes thats exactly how I did, but it did not work.
Last question, is it necesarry to start convstar from the C:/ root or not. I have the software on an extra drive.
When back on the home pc I will try again, maybe its also a win 7 problem.

thanks for the help anyway, karma to you