Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #46
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Just thought of another one-- no ebook version, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Deepdrive-Alex...dp/0380797151/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #47
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Just thought of another one-- no ebook version, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Deepdrive-Alex...dp/0380797151/
Alex would enjoy knowing that you said that. I was just at his house for a cookout last week.

He has a new book out--Brain Thief.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #48
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Alex would enjoy knowing that you said that. I was just at his house for a cookout last week.
Well, tell him to make an ebook version of it!

I read the book once when it first came out in MMPB, then years later (or a couple of years back) was trying to remember the name of the book based on plot elements I remembered. I think I finally had to do a YASID on rec.arts.sf.written to get the name, then rebought a dead tree copy on Amazon. A dead tree copy, man! Do I have to keep slumming it?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #49
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Well, tell him to make an ebook version of it!

I read the book once when it first came out in MMPB, then years later (or a couple of years back) was trying to remember the name of the book based on plot elements I remembered. I think I finally had to do a YASID on rec.arts.sf.written to get the name, then rebought a dead tree copy on Amazon. A dead tree copy, man! Do I have to keep slumming it?
I have passed on your eloquent plea.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #50
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I haven't read any Vinge, but I do have some works related to first contact that I want to recommend.

Firstly, I am yet another supporter of Carl Sagan's Contact. The beginning is rock hard sci-fi; an incredibly plausible account of how our first communication with an alien species might go, and how to interpret their messages. The science gets softer as the book progresses, but its strong characterization and themes about faith and evidence continue to carry it through to its amazing end.

I also recommend A for Andromeda. The plot starts out like a version of Contact that takes place in the 60s rather than the 80s, but the focus is rather different. There are a lot of interesting interactions going on between characters, as well as intrigue between political groups and companies. It's definitely worth a read if you can find a copy.

Finally, I recommend Eliezer Yudkowsky's "Three Worlds Collide". The first thing that everybody mentions about it is that it starts with baby-eating aliens and goes from there, which pretty much sums up the free online novella in a single sentence. By far its biggest selling point is that it shows something that is rare in sci-fi: alien aliens, with inhuman culture and biology. Combined with an interesting presentation of game theory concepts and amusing writing, this is one of the best sci-fi stories I've read in a long time.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 08-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #51
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Finally, I recommend Eliezer Yudkowsky's "Three Worlds Collide". The first thing that everybody mentions about it is that it starts with baby-eating aliens and goes from there, which that pretty much sums up the free online novella in a single sentence. By far its biggest selling point is that it shows something that is rare in sci-fi: alien aliens, with inhuman culture and biology. Combined with an interesting presentation of game theory concepts and amusing writing, this is one of the best sci-fi stories I've read in a long time.
Thanks, converting the pdf now for the kindle. Lets see how it goes. There also appears to be a social aspect to the direction of the story. I like the idea.

I recommend Vinge but with an eternal fanboy's voice
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And then there's the novel that gave it's name to the subgenre: First Contact by Murray Leinster.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first contact, science fiction, suggest, verner vinge